Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Survived My 1St Fill, But I'm A Bit Annoyed

So the 1st fill wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I still have some pain in the port area, so that had me concerned. Also, even though I have 7 tattoos and some piercings, the thought of a needle in my stomach scared the heck out of me! :P

So while we were discussing everything before doing the fill, she mentioned we could go 3-4cc. Well, once we did it, I forgot to even ask how much she put in! She put some in, had me drink some Water, then put more. So, I called the office and told the person who answered that I forgot to find out how many cc's and asked if she could check. Her response was, "Is there a reason you want to know?"

:blink: Ummm.....? My response was, "Well, because I'd like to keep track, that's why." Seriously, why in the world would she ask me that? She finally, after seeming annoyed, checked my chart and let me know it was 4cc....but really, what was so hard about checking? :angry:

It seems to me that she should be asked that question a lot. I think most banded patients want to stay abreast of what's going on with their bodies. My first fill should be next week and I'm sure going to ask!

I think the reason that sometimes they don't like to tell you is that some people focus on the numbers instead of how they are feeling. By not telling you then you can concentrate on whether or not the fill is working for you rather than chasing an arbitrary fill level as you have read somewhere that "x" ml is the prefect fill.

It was the receptionist who made the comment, but I was really taken back by it. I mean, obviously I had a reason for wanting to know or I wouldn't have called back.

The nurse practioner was discussing it with me, we just didn't talk about what she finally put in. It was the receptionist when I called back who just seemed annoyed that I wanted to know.

We must have the same receptionist. lol She is always rude to me....and it annoys me at first....then I just think "If she is rude EVERY time I call (which has only been twice and I paid out of my OWN pocket $17k for this) that she must have a really bad life.... Then after I think about it for a while I realize those old "annoyances" I used to have was probably a big part of why I have a weight problem. I have to let it gooooooooooo <3 I hope she is nicer to you (and me) in the future - but if she's not....well, I'm not going to focus on it and send her some love (because she OBVIOUSLY needs it) :P

After reading this makes me very happy I have who I have. They are all so nice!

Good approach visionary444! You are probably right, it is hard for unhappy people to be friendly at work!

Don'tlet the receptionists bring you down. It is your body and your band. You have the right to know!

PollyAnna you are absolutely right. Lori it is your body and you have every right to ask and know what they have put in your band. I would just let the Doctor and NP know that when you called you felt the receptionist wasn't the most cooperative with your request and you felt they should know how she treated you due to the fact she is the frontline communication with patients. What doctor wants to loose patients due to a miserable employee. On the other hand Visionary is correct, do not let her make you miserable, kill her with kindness and make her aware that as a patient it is your right to obtain your medical information upon request. This is supposed to be a positive life changing experience for us, so move on to tomorrow and forget those who cannot move on with you. Good Luck with your journey!

visionary444........hey, awesome to see someone with the same dr!!

Honestly, I don't even know if I have spoken to this one before when I have called in. Usually I get one of the nurses who answer. Karen is who I usually speak to, and she is AMAZING! I had a scare a few days before surgery with an abnormal EKG. She would call me daily (and even after hours...7 pm and such at night) to see how I was doing. She was on vacation the day of my surgery, but she told me when I came for my 1 week follow up that she was thinking about me the whole day. Everyone (except the one today) has been awesome there. Today though...yeah....she really bothered me.

I honestly could not figure out why it seemed to be such an odd thing for me to be asking.

I also got my very first fill today. 4cc in a 14cc band. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but when (if ever) should I feel anything? I know everyone is different, but I thought I would feel the Fluid going in the band or instant restriction. Maybe in the morning I may because I was told it gets tighter in the morning. So I have liquids/mushies for the next day or two. Is this what to expect after each fill?

Lori, I just sent you a PM in the event you didn't see this post! Did you know that when I posted that "we must have the same receptionist" that I was just trying to be humorous and THEN when I got online and when to your profile I realized we DOOOOOOOO have the same surgeon!!!!! I didn't know if we were even in the same STATE, let alone that we actually DO have the same SURGEON!!! lol CrAzy huh?!

Lori, I just sent you a PM in the event you didn't see this post! Did you know that when I posted that "we must have the same receptionist" that I was just trying to be humorous and THEN when I got online and when to your profile I realized we DOOOOOOOO have the same surgeon!!!!! I didn't know if we were even in the same STATE, let alone that we actually DO have the same SURGEON!!! lol CrAzy huh?!

That is hysterical! :lol:

That is hysterical! :lol:

I know! Right!!? Out of over 200,000 members on here! THAT is how RUDE that receptionist is! LOL Oh well.....I'm still sending her good energy :P

LMAO That is too funny! Seriously, as I said, I think I have seen ONE other person with the same surgeon!