Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Like A Failure

Hi everyone! I had my band placed January 19,2012. Since then I have only lost 50 pounds. I had my first fill at 5cc, a second at 7cc, a third at 8cc then had it taken out to 7.5 because of issues. Yesterday I went back up to 8cc to give it another try. I lost the entire 50 pounds by May and haven't really lost since then. I exercise but not enough so now I bike ride or walk 2x or more a week. I hope this helps. Long story short, I kind of feel like a failure for only losing 50 lbs when my goal is 100lbs. Any suggestions?! Thanks fellow Lap Bandits! (You know you laughed at the bandits!! Haha.).

You're only failure is to not see how much weight you've lost and how successful you've already been. If you're a failure, so am I, but I can't see it and neither can anyone else around me.

I'm sure you can look at your eating habits and you already know why you aren't losing but you should also be aware that the band is successfully keeping you from gaining. If you want to lose you will have to re-commit yourself to eating right, receiving fills to attain the green zone and you must exercise more than 2 X/week.

I was banded on 11/28/11 and about two weeks ago I met my first weight loss goal of 50 lbs lost. I'm happy and proud that I've lost so much weight. I hope and plan on losing another 30 by next summer. I haven't been at this weight since 1995. I fit into so many clothes that I had put away.

A defeatist attitude will only make you sad and lose self esteem. Pay more attention to your dreams and not your fears. Work harder to reach those dreams. You can if you truly want it.

tmf

Loosing 50 pounds is not a failure...

You did not mention portion sizes or what types of food you are having for your meals...diet compliance is a major part of the success for weight loss.

Definitely more exercise will help...

Best wishes...

You're only failure is to not see how much weight you've lost and how successful you've already been. If you're a failure' date=' so am I, but I can't see it and neither can anyone else around me.

I'm sure you can look at your eating habits and you already know why you aren't losing but you should also be aware that the band is successfully keeping you from gaining. If you want to lose you will have to re-commit yourself to eating right, receiving fills to attain the green zone and you must exercise more than 2 X/week.

I was banded on 11/28/11 and about two weeks ago I met my first weight loss goal of 50 lbs lost. I'm happy and proud that I've lost so much weight. I hope and plan on losing another 30 by next summer. I haven't been at this weight since 1995. I fit into so many clothes that I had put away.

A defeatist attitude will only make you sad and lose self esteem. Pay more attention to your dreams and not your fears. Work harder to reach those dreams. You can if you truly want it.

tmf[/quote']

Thank you! I had a lot of fights going in to this because my family didnt like the idea but I did it for me. The only reason I feel so crappy about it is mainly that reason. I always get, "You should weigh less by now" or "Don't eat that" - Even if its something as simple as a regular fruit pop because I had surgery and only lost 50lbs. Its hard because my family tries but they don't realize they put me down at the same time. Plus, I'd rather avoid WW3 sometimes than say something, which may actually be part of the reason I feel this way.

Loosing 50 pounds is not a failure...

You did not mention portion sizes or what types of food you are having for your meals...diet compliance is a major part of the success for weight loss.

Definitely more exercise will help...

Best wishes...

I measure my food out from 1/2 cup to 1 cup, 1 cup being a really long day. My degree is in teaching but I actually just started working as a social worker and am on the road a lot. I bring Protein shakes with me and eat salad literally everyday for lunch along with measuring out the dressing. I add 10 croutons and 4 small pieces of feta cheese. This is about 10 points on weight watchers. Although I do not really follow WW, I use the old books to cut out high fat foods. For Breakfast, I usually have 1/4 cup dry Cereal with coffee, no sugar added but the Creamer does have sugar in it. dinner is usually a meat (if it stays down!) and/or veggies and sugar free drinks. I am trying to stop drinking while eating so the food stays in my stomach longer! My cheat is definitely chocolate so I bought hershey kisses and if I really can't beat the craving, I let 2 melt in my mouth. (Sometimes I do have 4 though!)

Hey girl! You are doing amazing!! And i mean it! I am 20 months out and only lost 66 so far. It is hard I totally understand. Here u are 50 pounds down in a year! I'm loving it! You are doing better than me, and I don't feel like bad about it. Everyday I get closer and closer to my goal weight a pound at a time. So just think like that. You eat good, workout and it will pay off. Just takes time. Just think , this time next year u will be your goal weight. You got this!! I know u do! :D

Hey girl! You are doing amazing!! And i mean it! I am 20 months out and only lost 66 so far. It is hard I totally understand. Here u are 50 pounds down in a year! I'm loving it! You are doing better than me' date=' and I don't feel like bad about it. Everyday I get closer and closer to my goal weight a pound at a time. So just think like that. You eat good, workout and it will pay off. Just takes time. Just think , this time next year u will be your goal weight. You got this!! I know u do! :D[/quote']

Thanks! You got it too. Sometimes I just need the extra support from people who understand!

I don't have the band yet, but I know that I personally want to aim for slow weight loss so I'm not trying to play catch up with my skin or have the melted look some can get from losing so quickly - I think it's a blessing! I want this to be my life, not a quick fix - be proud of your weight loss! I've only lost 20 lbs this year and it was all in the beginning of the year too, and it's taken 3 years to lose 50 lbs. It's still something to be proud of. Your body is still changing and you are still making changes :]

I kind of feel like a failure for only losing 50 lbs...

That statement is an oxymoron!! You haven't failed at all. You are 50 lbs lighter!! I know that every hurdle we hit knocks us on our butt but think of where you would be if you hadn't been banded at all? You would be miserable and fat and hating yourself (maybe that's just me?). I do the same thing...sometimes I let myself get discouraged over the littlest things but then I snap out of it. Everyday is different and we have to try to make the most of it and know that any loss is an improvement from where we were when we started this journey. It's ok...go at your own pace and change things up when you're not losing. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon!!!