Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychologist Questions?

I'm sure every one has different questions... but from what I remember, the one I went to asked why I wanted to do it and basically wanted to be sure I was realistic about the surgery. It was a piece of cake, she didn't make me cry :). Don't worry, I had to go twice and it was like 30 minutes each time and it was over.

I had to take a very long scantron test that the psychologist evaluated. We met and talked about why I wanted surgery, etc. they want to make sure you are realistic about why you want the surgery and what you expect.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Nothing to worry about - you can't really fail. it's just to make sure you are realistic about your expectations of weight loss and that you aren't trying to lose it instead of dealing with other larger problems. You'll do fine.

I guess my experience was different, super easy. They asked only 3 or 4 questions to make sure I wasn't suicidal and that my goals were realistic and that was it. He signed off on the surgery within about 3 minutes.

I will say that I personally sought out a councelor on my own. I needed that extra help dealing with my past eating disorder because I knew it would creep up again with this surgery. I was seeing her about 2 times a week for a couple of months, now we just talk on the phone every now and again. Totally worth the time and money. Good luck to you!

my visit lasted about 30 min

he asked was i able to follow the dr's rules and the nutritionist instructions

(in regards to diet/exercise). (i am sure there are people who will say anything to get this surgery and this dr told me that and asked was i one of those). I said no way.

just go in there, relax, answer the questions. you will be out of there in no time. all the best to you :)

Don't worry. As long as your are yourself and honest it will all be good. I also had to take a scantron test and then we reviewed my asnswers and put me in a category (by score) of my mental stability. As long as you are being honest and are sure about your reasons it will all work out. Mine was just one appt for maybe 15 min.

Other aspects of what the psych eval is looking for is mood stability, any past tendencies towards eating disorders, any history of abuse or addictions (either chemical or behavioral), and to assess if you have realistic expectations of post op outcomes.

Post op it is not unheard of to get depressed as you make major adjustments to your lifestyle...the more emotionally healthy you are to begin this journey, the less difficult the post op adjustments will be.

Mine was really basic too. Once he found out I'm a mental health social worker he skipped a lot of the redundant questions. Most of the talk focused around realistic expectations of surgery, what the surgery entails, support groups and following doctor's recommendations.

Mine was yesterday & i was honest about everything. Eating habits, abuse & that i understood this is a tool to help me on my journey. She thanked me for my honesty & was pleased to know that if i needed help that i have no problem seeking it.... I felt if it's meant for me i would do fine. These evaluations are done for a reason....

Mine was really very nice..the Dr that did it was a old friend that had helped us adopting our children....so it was alot of catching up on the children and just making sure I knew of the risk of being put under.....Good Luck....Im sure you will do fine !!!

I had my psychologist appointment last week and it was two hours long. My surgeons office referred me to this guy because he was the only one in my area that takes my insurance.

It was an hour of questions from him and then a ridiculous computer test which asked 165 true or false questions. They all were to gauge mental competence I assume. It was weird though since I'd never seen a psychologist.

Now on Thursday I'll have a follow-up with him where he'll show me exactly what he is submitting to my surgeon.

Good luck!