Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I Am Failing Miserably

My surgery was June 19th. I lost 20 pounds due to the liquid and pre op diet. I have had two fills since then and I still havent lost anymore. I am watching what I eat. I am always under my calorie intake for the day, I have missed my Protein intake a few times though.

I am feeling like this isnt going to work for me. I am not sure what to do. I go for another fill on Wednesday as I know that I cannot make it between meals without eating something as I am so hungry!! My exercise regimn is not very good either as my ankle is really bad. The docs are thinking I have RA too. UGH.

Thanks for listening...

Stephanie

Don't give up! Talk to your Dr. for suggestions or modifications. Maybe there is a new way you can make sure you get your Protein quota. I just saw some flavored shots in the Bariatric Choice catalog that looks tempting. Your insurance may cover seeing a physical therapist who could suggest exercises that won't aggravate your RA or your ankle. Keep up informed.

Way to soon to throw in the towel. Go for your fill and ask to speak with your nutritionist.

Are you journaling?

I know you can do this! It might take awhile but you CAN do this!!!!

I also have significant issues with getting the proper exercise...my orthopedic surgeon has advised that the only place it is safe for me to exercise is in a pool. So that's where I go...at least 3 times a week. I'm unable to do any exercise that is weight bearing.

My bariatric surgeon has "gotten on my case" for not taking the "brisk walks" he wants everyone to take, but since my car accident, I can no longer walk for miles like I used to.

I don't count calories...my surgeon has said that I don't need to if my choices for meals are healthy. I do look for the best lean Protein and make certain to eat that first at every meal...then I can have the "fiber" carbs. Adequate Protein is necessary for weight loss.

From my observations, based on what other knowledgeable bandsters have posted and my own experiences (not with the calorie counting...) there are 2 significant reasons for stalled weight loss: too few calories, and not enough protein.

You could be on a weight loss "plateau", where you are diet compliant and engage in regular exercise, and the scale does not move. Mis73 has written about her experiences with breaking through the plateau by changing up her daily number of calories, others have written about changing up the type of exercise you do. If the routine becomes too predictable, your body holds onto the fat.

I would guess that everyone has had some bouts with frustration and negative thoughts about lack of progress...your attitude will be half the battle. You can and will do this if you are determined to be successful.

I hope that some of the information I have shared will be helpful for you...Best wishes...and don't give up!

U haven't failed I've learned over time and it wasn't fun but it takes some people several months to get going I think I'm going to b a slow looser guess I'm just going to have to deal with it as long as I keep losing so stick with it it will work in its own time

I'm like Sojo, can only exercise in pool. I'm waiting on double knee replacement.

The pool is wonderful. Sometimes I don't realize how hard I've worked out until I have problems getting out of the pool.

When I started my weight loss journey I could only exercise in the pool. 1 of my knees was so bad I could barely walk in the grocery store to do my shopping. I would say the first 140 pounds was from diet and swimming exercise. With that weight loss I could then walk for exercise. I highly recommend and waterproof MP3 player. Make swimming so much more enjoyable. Check them out on Amazon.< /p>

It's still early!!!!:) I started losing more weight after fourth fill months later. I chose to go slower, I'm in my 19th month and 25 pounds to goal. 268 originally. Size 24...I'm now 176 and in a size 12. My best loss in past 6 months. Band is at 5.75 and in green zone. Everyone's band fills are different. I promise it will work.

To add, I didn't start exercising regularly until this May. Walked occasionally.

Really try to get in solid proteins.u knock out 2 birds with one stone :-) u get the Protein u need and u feel more satisfied less hungry than with liquid....at least in my case .Goodluck to u !!

I agree with the pool for exercise. I had problems with right ankle and left hip. No weight bearing. My doctor sent me to aqua therapy and after that I did my own exercising in the pool 5 days a week building up to an our. As the weight came off, I could do more cardio work in the pool and I now exercise an hour a day either in the pool or out. If I am out, I use bands for strength training and a little set pd pedals that I can ride while sitting on the sofa surfing the web or chatting. Believe me, it works.i am down 111 pounds in 7 months.

You can do it! Also, log your food so you really know how many calories you are eating. According to my doctor, my 500 calories a day is enough for now. Still eating up the excess fat stored in my body! Yippy!

Don't give up, keep going for those fills. If we were good at dieting we wouldn't have had surgery. I was so frustrated, and starting to regret that I didn't go w the sleeve. But, I just went for my fifth fill, last week. And I am amazed at the difference just .75 has made. With 4, I had NO RESTRICTION, and was hungry all the time. Now at 4.75, I eat 1/2 cup and I'm full, and not hungry. It will come, and its exciting! Well worth the wait!