Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking All The Rules

I was banded on 8/6, so I am 4 weeks out. Ordinarily, I am a rule follower, but since having the surgery, I have been eating with reckless abandon. I followed the liquid diet for the first week or so, but I was hungry all the time. So my nutritionist told me to add in soft foods, like eggs and cheese. I did that, and since then I've steadily gone back to a completely normal (pre-surgery) diet, both food choices and portions. I don't know why I've been so rebellious, but now I'm so afraid that I've done damage and have set myself up for failure. I do not have any pain, but my stomach is uncomfortable most of the time. Please tell me I can wipe the slate clean and how to get back on track to do this right.

Tomorrow is a new day. Start all over and follow the rules. Start journaling. Lots of us are on my fitness pal. You have taken the first step by stating out loud and taking responsibility. It's not too late.

Remember why you are doing this.

Don't give up

Wendy

You can start fresh, just don't give up. Try to not beat yourself up and leave the past behind you.

I sound like a broken record, but this site is full of support, motivation and valuable information, so stick around and when you're struggling hit the success stories, beore/after pctures or anything that will help you get through the rough spots.

Most of us have broken the rules at some point.

Take care and keep us posted.

I agree with the others. The past is gone and you can not change it, so change your future. Start fresh and do not beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day. You can do this. No one said it would be easy, but with some faith and encouragement we all can do this!!!

Your diet does come with a "reset" button, however you should avoid using it too much.

Yes, you need to go back to Square 1...and measure your portions for accuracy. I'm allowed 3 oz of lean Protein and 2 oz of a Fiber carb with every meal...that's it. I have some but not yet optimal restriction, so to manage my hunger between meals, I drink Water and stay busy.

To avoid returning to previous unhealthy eating patterns, you need to change your relationship with food...eat to live, not the other way around.

Good luck...you can do this if you want to...

I was starting to fall off track too and went out yesterday and bought half cup portions for my food. I am on mushies and put it all in the containers. Today at work i made sure to eat only every two hours or so, half cup portion every time- and I stayed under 1100 calories. Yesterday I was feeling horrible about myself but today i started fresh and feel proud again. :) I still thought about food a lot but two hours was not that long so I could wait and drink Water. It is never too late to start again. You can do it!

First, you need to stop buying processed foods. And if you can, throw what you have away.

tmf

I have the same story as you. I discovered that I can eat normally after one week post op. and boy did i eat! I was eating solids when i was supposed to be on mushies I didn't lose a single pound for several weeks. But then by my third fill the magic happened. Suddenly I was able to eat small portions and actually feel satisfied. So don't give up hope! It takes a while to get into the green zone but once you do, it's easy to stay on track. I highly recommend using a calorie counter like my fitness pal and stay at 1200 calories or slightly less. I didn't follow the rules in the beginning but now that I have restriction, I'm losing weight! Best of luck to you! You've got this!!!!!

Agree with all of the above posters, however, it sounds like you need to reset your mind as well. I found that having small goals and rewards has worked well for me. i.e. to get down from a size 24/26 to size 18 - reward - some new clothes. To look great at my son's wedding - my reward - looking and feeling great and wearing an awesome dress. To get below 100kg - reward - a new gold watch.

I am a bit stalled at the moment but have realised that this is because I don't have a specific goal to work towards. I have signed up for and am training for the Great Victorian Bike Ride at the end of November, but I already have a good level of fitness and all the gear that I will need to complete the ride so it is not helping me to work towards a goal. Time to get serious with myself and set a new goal!

I have the same story as you. I discovered that I can eat normally after one week post op. and boy did i eat! I was eating solids when i was supposed to be on mushies I didn't lose a single pound for several weeks. But then by my third fill the magic happened. Suddenly I was able to eat small portions and actually feel satisfied. So don't give up hope! It takes a while to get into the green zone but once you do, it's easy to stay on track. I highly recommend using a calorie counter like my fitness pal and stay at 1200 calories or slightly less. I didn't follow the rules in the beginning but now that I have restriction, I'm losing weight! Best of luck to you! You've got this!!!!!

I did exactly the same thing almost 3 yrs ago. I ate just like preband for almost 5 mths (after my 4 weeks liquids) after being banded. I could still eat a large Quiznos sandwich, a bowl of broccoli cheese Soup and still have room for Cookies. After my 3rd fill, the magic started happening. I could barely eat 1/4 of s small Quiznos sandwich! The lbs started melting off. I really didn't even try all that hard. I ate the same things - just much less.

Good luck to you!

Marci

Thank you for all the replies. I know I'll get myself back on track. I'm just concerned that I didn't allow myself to heal properly after the surgery and will have caused problems for myself. It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one who lost her sensibility. I'm usually a model patient, so I don't know what got into me. I'm following the rules today, but I still don't know what I am supposed to be eating right now. I don't know what comes after the 4th week of pureed foods.

2muchfun: I am a foodie. I don't eat many processed foods. I make almost everything from scratch. I'm overweight because I eat great food, not junk!

About a week post-op, I got so sick I could not eat/drink a thing w/o feeling like I was going to throw it all up. I could not stomach the Protein shakes, so I know I was not getting enough nutrition in any form!! It was a vicious cycle for about a week!

I had about 2cc of Fluid removed on about Day 12...and he told me I could start eating SOFT foods. A by-pass-patient friend recommended Taco Bell refried Beans....= HEAVEN!! lol

BUT, this meant I had virtually NO restriction...so for the past 3 weeks I've been free-lancing!! And like Joann, BOY DID I EAT. Not much during the day (stayed busy) but at supper, when I am fixing for my family - wow.

I got some Fluid put back in yesterday - not as much as was taken out, but we discussed taking this slow to avoid any complications. Today, I'm feeling hungry, but will drink my Water until its time for lunch. Supper I CHOOSE to do what is right.

Its unlikely you have harmed yourself...BUT, like everyone said, TODAY/TOMORROW is a new day. Face your "crime" - and clearly you have done the time (berating and hating yourself = been there/done that!!)...so move forward.

Make a list of your WHYs....why you want/need to lose weight. Here are few of mine - and maybe yours are the same!? -

1. Get off the floor w/o help (or a wench)

2. No shame at the beach - both in my swimsuit AND getting up from sitting

3. Crossing my legs - without havng to hook a foot on something to keep it there!

4. Riding some of the rides at an amusement park (I have not fit into a seat in YEARS - shoulder bar crushes the girls and kills my back - NOT WORTH THE EMBARRASSMENT)

5. Holding my head high at a school function w/ my children

6. Shopping for clothes that do not start w/ a "2" and end with a "W"

7. Making love to my husband w/ the lights ON. (and add shopping at Victoria's and actually BUYING something!)

8. Shopping at CHICOs.

9. Seeing my feet when I look down.

10. Not getting stares in a restaurant, knowing I will no longer be judged because I am EATING.

(these are not necessarily in order of my priorities - just what comes to mind!)

That's the short version...but making a list of my WHYs has been really REALLY helpful. I have not lost a ton of weight (16 to date), but I am noticing some NSVs - rings and watch are looser, pants are looser in the fanny and around the waist (tho not falling off yet by any means)...those COUNT.

I will not give up...and neither should you!! We are all walking the same pathway here...some are a little farther down the road, but there is nothing new under the sun for those of us who've let our stomachs be our god. ITS A NEW DAY.

Now, hop up, look yourself in the mirror and hold your head up and tell yourself "I am worth it"...then go write down your WHYs...and you're off!!

We're rooting for you!!

Kim in IN

i love all the responses but lets be real.

i got overweight because i ate too much (regardless if its processed or made from scratch or *great food*). 3500 calories is a pound regardless.

the band will help you eat less. (esp after fills start). up to us to change the type of things we eat. we dont have too and you may still lose, but slower...

when you say you went back to eat what you did before, you made that choice. the band is only a 3 in plastic thing on your stomach. you (and me) and us gotta make the band work.

make good choices.

dont eat over a cup of food

if you think you didnt do good one meal, do better the next.

but get rid of pity tudes. you went through hell to get this band.

make this journey work for you. you got this.

if you want it

(all the best and congrats on your surgery)