Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the seminar for the Lap Band on August 9th. At that time my husband was not on board with the surgery. Since then, he is ok with it. So thats a big sigh of relief and I feel so much better about it. But I was told at the seminar that I would hear from the Doctors office within a week to schedule my 1st appointment and its been over 2 weeks and I havent heard anything yet. I called them this past Thursday, when it had been 2 weeks and they said they are running behind. Well I wanna get the show on the road here! I have to lose 10 % of my weight before I can get the surgery (like I am sure most of you had to do) and I was told not to start trying to lose that weight until my 1st appointment! I am just starting to feel like this is never going to happen. First my husband didnt support it,now he does and now the Doctors office is taking its sweet time! Did anyone else run into this issue? How long does it usually take once you start your appointments and everything, until you had your surgery? I just want to get this new chapter of my life started!

I know one person who had band surgery the week after her initial consult with her surgeon, but that was in 2007, she had fantastic insurance, and the surgeon was a general surgeon, not a bariatric surgeon, so he had no hoops for her to jump through.

My own band surgery was 4 months after the educational seminar required by my surgeon, and I had lots of hoops to jump through. But again, that was in 2007. Since then, the popularity of bariatric surgery has exploded, putting a huge burden on bariatric clinics who have to hire more surgeons and support staff to respond to the increased demand. Staffing up a bariatric clinic isn't as easy as (for example) hiring Christmas help at JCPenney. You need a highly-qualified staff, and even when they're all in place and ready to go, they can't process patients like widgets on a production line, because each one of us is so unique and our medical problems are usually complex. I know it's frustrating for you, but rushing through the qualification and education stuff before surgery would be a really bad idea. It's possible that your surgeon's office is taking its own sweet time, but it's far more likely that they're struggling to give each patient the attention they deserve.

If you absolutely cannot bear another week of waiting, you can try contacting a second bariatric clinic to initiate the qualification process with them. Depending on your geographic location and your insurance requirements, that may or may not speed things up for you.

In the meantime, hang in there, and try to distract yourself by learning as much as you can about the surgery itself and what your life will be like afterwards.

4 to 6 months depending on how quick the doctor moves

From educational seminar to last bit of testing was 3 months total time but actual approval took 6 months due to insurance requirements. I took all the time to educate on everything possible so I would be prepared. I can remember the wait in the beginning seemed so long but as time went on and I was fully involved with support classes and all the preop appointments the time seemed like it flew by when I got the call in March to schedule the surgery.

It can be frustrating waiting but learn all you can, prepare all you can. Start working on a preop diet now and you'll be ahead of the curve. It is well worth the "weight".

Just to add to what Jean said, You don't want anyone rushing you through this process. You want to make sure you are getting everyone's full attention and that they have your best interest at hand.

Good Luck!!

It really depends on your insurance and your surgeon. I had my initial consultation the first week of December 2011 and I had Lap Band surgery a month later, January 2012.

I agree with Jean, if you feel like you're being blown off and don't want to wait, you could always research other Lap Band surgeons in your area.

For me, from beginning to end it was 2 months. My husband wasn't to happy either, he wanted to make sure I was safe. Praying that all will go well for you.

got my pcd to refer me to my insurance in late feb........had surgery beginning of feb. like the posters before me says, it depends on your dr's and the insurance.......it varies... i wish you all th best :)

(getting frustrated only makes you more frustrated and solves nothing). so dont do it.

I started my journey January 12th this year. Just got approved 2 weeks ago. Surgery is this Thursday. Hang in there. My insurance made me do a lot. I have very good insurance.

I started my journey January 12th this year. Just got approved 2 weeks ago. Surgery is this Thursday. Hang in there. My insurance made me do a lot. I have very good insurance.

I was about the same!!! I was just banded this past Friday!

Totally depends on your insurance or self pay, I started the process in September 2011, first Md appt wasn't until the beginning of December- and from there was a 6 month documented diet, and to lose 5% for the doctors office and all the in between consults to get to today! I never thought the day would get here! 3 more hours and I will be on the other side! Take the time, inform yourself, read everything you can to make it the best - it will be here in no time!

dwilliams

Totally depends on your insurance or self pay' date=' I started the process in September 2011, first Md appt wasn't until the beginning of December- and from there was a 6 month documented diet, and to lose 5% for the doctors office and all the in between consults to get to today! I never thought the day would get here! 3 more hours and I will be on the other side! Take the time, inform yourself, read everything you can to make it the best - it will be here in no time!

dwilliams[/quote']

Congrats on your surgery! The other side feels great to be on... The first couple days are rough but it only gets better!!!

I had my seminar in Nov 2011 and had my surgery Aug 23,2012. My insurance had me do a lot before they would approve it. I went through a lot of different feelings since it took so long (excitement, nervouse, scared, then excitement again). I came to this forum a lot. I knew if I chickened out I would so regret it the next day ifididnt do it and probably every day after that.

I had my first visit Feb 7, and scheduled for surgery Sept. 6. So about 7 months for me. Every Dr. And insurance company is different as far as requirements so hang in there! I thought I would never make it to my surgery date. :-)

I went through a lot of hoops too...My insurance (Aetna) required a 90 day multi-disciplinary nutritional regimen. It included 4 appointments with a nutritious type lady to go over band specific diets and expectations, along with touching on some possible emotional responses during and after weightloss. I had to do a psych evaluation, a sleep study (AND wait a whole month to get my follow-up and my fancy new CPAP...I had terrrrible sleep apnea!) and a range of blood work. Then after all was done, it was submitted to insurance. I waited about a week and was given approval. Surgery was scheduled at their out-patient facility about a month out. I was asked to lose 45 more pounds...Only managed 15. Surgery was re-scheduled ANOTHER month out at the regular local hospital and am now back home 11 days post op.

Moral of the story: Did I go through hell to get surgery? Yes. Was it worth it? HELL yes! ;) Stick with it! All things good are worth fighting for! :))

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

With my insurance I had to do 6mth PCP diet. I was really bummed about it, but the 6mths went by really fast.Last appt yesterday.

I'm now glad it did take that long because I feel I got a really good education on the band. I stalked this board for 6mths and read a few books. I'm now REALLY ready!

If you follow this forum you can actual guess who has the info they need & who just jumped in.

Good Luck to you!!