Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think whether or not we talk about lapband surgery is a personal choice, period. I had my surgery on Feb 28, and have lost

58 lbs. I still need to lose another 50 pounds to get where I want to be. It is a process, and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week,

Watch what I eat and take my Vitamins. I share with people who are close to me, but I take pride in what I have accomplished so far. I do think WLS has a bad connotation for some...and I am sensitive to that.

I vowed not to tell everyone but the ones I told are the ones that I wish I hadn't told.

I've had the surgery Feb 2012 and was recently asked by someone at work what did I do. I lied!! You have to know who to tell and whom not to tell bottom line!!!!

So when you had your surgery what did you tell your job when you took off? That's what I'm having issues with finding a way to tell my boss. I think I'm having the hernia repair so I was going to tell my boss I'm having a hernia repair, but then I'm having my surgery in another state so when I return with my doctors excuse they may wonder and ask why did I have to go to another state to having my surgery. I don't want anyone judging me. I'm only trying to lose about 60-65 lbs and a lot of people will try to say I'm a cope out I could have lost that on my own. So that is why I'm choosing not to tell anybody. I don't feel like having to explain myself to anybody

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I have major heartburn problems and so I said I was going to get a hatial hernia repair ... It wasn't a lie. They don't need to know the rest!

How long where you out with your hernia repair?

Lady Marshall, not that it's any of their damn business, but if they ask why another state, just say u researched around and that's who u felt most comfortable with doing ur surgery. Honestly, with HIPPA ur boss shouldn't ask u anything personal about ur health, and they damn sure are not allowed to spread it around what u had done. If they do, sue. Then you'll be skinny AND rich :)

Personally I just told my bosses what I was having done. Figured they'd find out anyway

Lady Marshall' date=' not that it's any of their damn business, but if they ask why another state, just say u researched around and that's who u felt most comfortable with doing ur surgery. Honestly, with HIPPA ur boss shouldn't ask u anything personal about ur health, and they damn sure are not allowed to spread it around what u had done. If they do, sue. Then you'll be skinny AND rich :)

Personally I just told my bosses what I was having done. Figured they'd find out anyway[/quote']

Too funny skinny and rich.... My boss is really nice, and we have a wonderful relationship, but I don't feel comfortable with telling her because she loves to talk. But thanks for your reply!

So when you had your surgery what did you tell your job when you took off? That's what I'm having issues with finding a way to tell my boss. I think I'm having the hernia repair so I was going to tell my boss I'm having a hernia repair' date=' but then I'm having my surgery in another state so when I return with my doctors excuse they may wonder and ask why did I have to go to another state to having my surgery. I don't want anyone judging me. I'm only trying to lose about 60-65 lbs and a lot of people will try to say I'm a cope out I could have lost that on my own. So that is why I'm choosing not to tell anybody. I don't feel like having to explain myself to anybody

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk[/quote']

Ladymarshall I understand about the noseyness and the google thing. There is something called FMLA. Employers are not allowed to ask you personal medical questions. To avoid the problems you are concerned about my advice is do your paperwork with your PCP. I assume they are local. Explain your concern and they should not have a problem with your excuse notes. Have copies of everything from your surgeon and hosp records forwarded to them, as you should. Also explain this concern to your surgeon. This is really an easy thing to avoid. FMLA paperwork does not require the type of surgery you had be written. Just a physician stating you had a MEDICALLY NECESSARY PROCEDURE which requires you to be out of work for a specified amount of time and what, if any, restrictions you have when you return to work.

Thanks so much for that idea that is exactly what I am going to do. You have no ide how much this was bothering me, because I didn't want anyone asking questions about why I had to travel out of state to have surgery. Thanks a bunch!!!! This is what I will do

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

I agree with most of these posts. First and foremost, IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHEN AND IF YOU TELL! What you have said up to this point is the truth. Bottom line is you do what you need to do to succeed in this journey. Get support where you think you can. Avoid negativity when you can. Control what you can when you can. Good, bad, or indifferent, someone will always judge you and if you can control what and when you are judged then that's great. Congrats on your 50lbs. Cant wait til I hit that mark! And i'm not telling either! ;-)

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

I agree with most of these posts. First and foremost, IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHEN AND IF YOU TELL! What you have said up to this point is the truth. Bottom line is you do what you need to do to succeed in this journey. Get support where you think you can. Avoid negativity when you can. Control what you can when you can. Good, bad, or indifferent, someone will always judge you and if you can control what and when you are judged then that's great. Congrats on your 50lbs. Cant wait til I hit that mark! And i'm not telling either! ;-)

I love my lapband and I know I could not have lost as much as I have without it. I have had to work hard for it also and I am trying it do it as healthy as I can. If I feel I could help sombody with there own weightloss then I think I will keep the LB to my self. But if I feel someone could benefit from it I will be happy to share. Thanks All!

I love my lapband and I know I could not have lost as much as I have without it. I have had to work hard for it also and I am trying it do it as healthy as I can. If I feel I could help sombody with there own weightloss then I think I will keep the LB to my self. But if I feel someone could benefit from it I will be happy to share. Thanks All!

I think that is the right attitude to have...which is your choice. Sharing your experience with someone you feel can benefit is a positive experience. Because of those moments, and your hard work you will succeed!

Look at it this way. A person that has lost a leg do they have a slight limp cause their leg hurts or sprang an ankle. NO they have a fake leg due to losing a leg. Well I'm losing weight cause I got the lap band. To me being over weight is more shameful than losing weight do to a tool inserted in my body to help me lose weight and be healthy BE PROUD BE HEALTHY BE YOURSELF