Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

I wish I could tell everyone but I can't. :mellow:

You are not lying if you actually did those things.although omission can be considered a lie.:-) but it's your business not theirs.you are eating less and exercising snd that is absolutely true.for me it's easier to just tell them about lap band.I don't advertise but do share when asked .

I don't blame you one bit! So many people misunderstand obesity and what we go through to lose excess weight. The minute they hear lapband, they immediately think the band was the only thing making you lose the weight. They have absolutely no clue that the band is only a tool and never once think about the effort and commitment it takes to lose the weight! You can choose to either educate them or continue telling them the truth, YOU DID IT!!

Kflower84, Why can't you tell people about the lapband? Now, I am definitely curious!!

Sometimes I feel guilty for not telling people when they ask. But not really. I've worked my butt off to lose this weight (yes, the band helped, but I still think I did 75% of the work to be honest). There are certain people I felt comfortable telling, and others, no way. I do not think that it is any of their business. When people ask, I simply say I'm counting calories and working out. Which is the absolute truth! I use myfitnesspal and I go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week. I don't look at it as lieing at all. Everyone has personal things about themselves that they don't talk about. No big.

Yes, you are lying and that would make you a liar. Lying by omission is still lying.

Now, Is being a liar that bad? not really, do you know anybody that doesn't lie? neither do I.

You have a right to your privacy and if you need to lie to protect it then so be it. No big deal.

I think you can sleep sound at night with a clear conscience ;)

Kflower84,

I am like you, I do my best to tell everyone that I know could benefit from being banded! It is amazing how many people will actually come up and ask about the procedure, once they know you've used it as a tool to lose weight. You are doing awesome, so spread the word!

Dennis

I wish I could tell everyone but I can't. :mellow:

Do people wonder or every question why you eat so little. I don't plan on telling anyone either but I think people will wonder.

Especially at first, at work we go out every Friday not sure what I will do when i am on the liquid faze?

Okay now that I have lost over 50 pounds lots of people are starting to ask me how I have lost so much weight. I never planned on telling people I had lap band so I will tell them I eat less and run 3 to 4 miles every other day. Then they will say what else did you do or did you do somthing to get kick started? Ummmmm.........well I started off doing the couch to 5k and worked my way up to running as much as I do now and I did a liquid diet for about 10 days. Then I always just want to say oh and I had lapband. So am I lying by not telling that part?

I think that ur band is ur bussiness, and tell who u want, i fell the same way because people can be cruel, and they dont know the hard work we have to do inorder to even get the band, sometimes i feel even fatter when i say i have the band and it makes me feel worse, I only told my family and a few select friends that i know that will be there and support me, not ridicule and say oh its the band not u lossing the weight, yes we can educate them but most the time when u mention the band they don't care to know the details, they cant see it the band but they can see ur eating habits and excersice routine.... it up to u who u want to share it with, it nobodys business but urs!!

It's your choice if you tell or not. Personally, I don't care if people know. Honestly it holds me accountable, I want show that lapband works.

I agree with a lot of the other posts, its your band, its your decision. You know what you did to lose the weight and that it wasn't the band alone, so that may be hard for people to understand that the band is a tool. I tend to tell people, but that's my choice and yours only to make. :P

Well the people i am close to I tell because I want and need support even from "the non banded" lol. But its people that I see almost daily or even a couple times a year that are happy for me but I don't know them that well that I have a hard time telling. Like the lady at the post office or my cousin-in-laws dad, my kids teachers etc. What I worry about more than not telling them is after they ask and then someone else tells them and then they think I lied. I live in a town of less than 2,ooo people so everyone know everyone pretty much and they have nothing better to talk about. I think from now on I will just tell them and not care what they think. I have worked hard and I am proud of myself and proud of the band!

It's true it's a lie by omission, however, is it anyone's business to begin with?

You don't have to answer to anyone, not about what you eat or what surgeries you've had. It's no one's business unless you choose to make it their business, so don't let anyone guilt you into revealing personal information you're not ready to reveal.

Band or not, it's YOU that has to do the work. It's YOU that makes the healthy food choices. The credit is yours, not the band. Be proud of your accomplishment! :)

I told close friends...most of my close family.....and one of my best friends whom I thought might be interested in banding herself.....everyone but my best friend was supportive of my banding...so you just never know.....Now that I have lost so much I pick and choose who i tell......its my choice !