Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who Self Paid For Surgery

Hi... I will have my consultation and evaluation Wednesday. If everything goes well and I have to do the blood work, etc. as required, how long did you wait to hear about your surgery date? Since you self paid, does surgery come sooner than waiting for the insurance to come through.?

I would love to have the surgery sometime in September.....

Hello waiting! I'm self pay as well and I went in for my consultation on Aug 15. That same day I got my surgery date for September 28. Now, there was earlier dates but because of my job, I had to take a later date. I think it all depends on the surgeon's availability and how fast you can get all the pre-op stuff done like the EKG, blood test, nutritionist appointment, etc. Good luck!

I am in Canada, and once I decided, I pretty much had my pick of dates. Could have gotten in as early as 3 weeks. My summer schedule was crazy so I took 4 months, If you have the time and flexibility for appts etc, you should be okay for Sept.

Oh good thanks for the replies. I have all days open when he is ready. I just hope they don't deny me the operation during my consultation. I am nervous about the physiologist and his questions.

I'm not sure if it's the same all around but Dr. Wizman who will be doing my surgery doesn't require a psych eval when you're self pay. I'm sure if you meet the BMI minimum, they shouldn't deny you though.

I'm not sure if it's the same all around but Dr. Wizman who will be doing my surgery doesn't require a psych eval when you're self pay. I'm sure if you meet the BMI minimum, they shouldn't deny you though.

Yeah I was wondering about the evaluation as well...today they called and said bring 100.00 for his fee and appt. Wednesday, so I guess, I will be. My BMI is 35

Well after I went to class and had the consultation the Dr said he could the surgery the week after.

Also I had the surgery later because of school

I was a self pay and my dr did require a psych eval which my insurance paid for... Which I thought was funny. I had my surgery 2.5 mtns after the first visit but that was my choice... Due to work constraints. I could have had it 3 weeks earlier

I was allowed to schedule my surgery as soon as I paid the deposit.

I self paid and had the surgery a month after my initial doctor visit. I think it depends on the doctor and what pre op tests are required.

It was two weeks from the time I finished all the required medical visits till I had the surgery. The week I saw the doctor, he said I'd be in for the surgery the next week. The whole process took me two months from the first weigh in to surgery.

I went to the seminar and called the office 3 days later. When I told them I was in we set my surgery date then. I was shocked it was that fast. Scheduled my Pre-op and then a week later I'll have surgery. I had no consultation which I thought was weird.

I'm a self pay I had gone to the semianr on january of this year. I put my money together and I scheduled my consultation for July 26, 2012 and tomorrow i'm getting banded =) no phsyc evaluation he just asked me if I had gone to the seminar that he himself conducted. You should just allow at least 3 weeks for lab-work and the 2 weeks pre-op diet =) I invite you and everyone else to follow my wls journey on youtube

. and to "like" my WLS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NasfapsCommunity?ref=hl good luck!!

Self payers usually get their dates faster as YOU are the boss instead of the insurance companies. The surgeon will only order the tests he deems necessary and this can vary from doctor to doctor but usually its just enough to protect himself from liability and safely perform the surgery. Since its YOUR DIME they don't tend to have strict requirements on psych evals or nutrion classes or lengthy pre-op diet other than the liquid diet as minimally as 1 day before surgery and 12hr fast pre-op as would be the case in ANY surgery to avoid emesis and aspiration. Most of the long waiting games pre-op are due to insurance companies, not the surgeron. MONEY TALKS. ;) I was banded about 10 days after my consultation and only because my surgeon only came to my location once a week so I waited the extra week.