Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went To Seminar, Confused And Have Some Questions

So, I went to the seminar finally but I am confused now. The Dr that did the seminar says that with the lapband, you only lose about 30-40 pounds? My goal was to lose about 100-115 pounds. I feel like it is pointless to get the lapband if I will only lose 30-40 pounds with it. Another thing that he said, which isnt a big deal to me but my husband pointed it out to me was that you wont be able to eat steak or drink carbonated beverages afterwards? He says that steak is to tough to be able to chew it down small enough to swollow it and that carbonated beverages make you bloated and stretch out your stomach? I never heard any of this on any of the sites or boards I came across while researching this so I dont know if this is all a bunch of crap or what. I feel kind of bummed about it, I mean I was really excited thinking that I was going to be able to lose 100 pounds with help from the lapband then I get told that you only average 30-40 pounds. Is there any truth to this?

So, I went to the seminar finally but I am confused now. The Dr that did the seminar says that with the lapband, you only lose about 30-40 pounds? My goal was to lose about 100-115 pounds. I feel like it is pointless to get the lapband if I will only lose 30-40 pounds with it. Another thing that he said, which isnt a big deal to me but my husband pointed it out to me was that you wont be able to eat steak or drink carbonated beverages afterwards? He says that steak is to tough to be able to chew it down small enough to swollow it and that carbonated beverages make you bloated and stretch out your stomach? I never heard any of this on any of the sites or boards I came across while researching this so I dont know if this is all a bunch of crap or what. I feel kind of bummed about it, I mean I was really excited thinking that I was going to be able to lose 100 pounds with help from the lapband then I get told that you only average 30-40 pounds. Is there any truth to this?

hm.......well i had surgery in june and i have lost 53 so far......and there are others on here who have lost 60 and 70 and more. the band is what you make of it (its only a tool and if you follow the diet and eat healthy and exercise, why wouldnt you lose as much as you need too)?

some eat steak *i do* (and i cut all food into baby sized pieces and chew)...instead of gulping my food, i now find i am enjoying it.... and i dont drink soda (as i am now turned on to crystal light)...but there are some who do...each person and each doctor is different.

i wish you all the best on whatever you decide.

I agree with Carolinagirl. I was banded in Feb, lost 60 lbs so far. My goal is 100lbs. As for steak, I eat it. It depends on the grade of steak, higher quality is easier to chew but since you eat alot less it costs about the same....plus I'm worth it. Just have to chew chew chew the SMALL bits. Don't drink soda anymore, didn't like the gas issues. I don't miss it. The band is a tool and you do have to make lifestyle changes. It is worth everyone of them for me!

I think the statistics are 35% of your excess weight they tell you is what they project you will loose....could he have said 30to 40 % of excess lbs and not 30-40 lbs? I was only a BMI of 35and i have already lost 27 lbs since pre-op and i was banded 7/10/2012.

The carbonation is a definite no no! Steak - granted i only have 1.5ccs in my band and have had steak without problems...if you a good quality steak and chew chew chew with small bites...

heck i have gotten stuck,pb and vomitted on mashed sweet potatoes...

Here's my two cents:

The average weight loss with lap band is 50-60% of your excess weight. That's the average. Your success lies within you. I want to lose 80 lbs. I'm about 12 weeks post-op and have already lost 51, have 39 to go. I've already lost over 60% of my excess weight, and I feel like my journey is just getting started.

The no-carbonation is absolutely true. It's a no-no for bandsters. Some are still able to drink it, but it can cause bloating and pain, and may even stretch your pouch.

As for steak, I'm not in the Green Zone yet but I can still eat it. Just take small bites and chew really good.

Your journey is what you make of it. If you want to lose 100 lbs, set your goals, figure out your routine, and go for it. Anything is possible :)

I agree with Jackie, you may have heard 40 lbs but he may have said 40%. Try another seminar. Don't go with the first surgeon you see.

Jen is right about the steak. Ribeye, tenderloin steak goes down fine as long as you obey the rules. Carbonated beverages are fine as long as you don't overdo it. I think they tell you to stay away from them because most obese people have a tendency to go way beyond 8 ozs and drink like litres of the stuff. I drink a soda pop or beer once or twice a week and no harm, no foul. But you should follow your Drs orders.

tmf

One of the things I like about my doctor is that he didn't show any obvious preference for which WLS was best for me; he asked me what I wanted. He did want me to watch a video on lapband and vertical sleeve. I did recently ask him if his wife/daughter were going to have WLS what would he recommend. He said that it depends on the individual and how much/how fast they want to lose. He also said it depends on the co-morbidities an individual has. For example, for someone with diabetes, the sleeve or gastric bypass would be the best surgery for them.

My surgeon did offer lap-band with plication, which I declined. If I could do only one thing differently, I would definitely go for the plication!!!

I agree with the above too. I have read many people losing 100 pounds or more! Just look around at different posts and ask away. I am looking to lose more than 40 pounds myself. As for the steak, some people can eat it, some cannot. I hear that some can eat it on certain days and other days, not so much. Everyone is different. I did stop drinking soda for this diet, just b/c of pre op and post op and I have never picked it back up. I have moved completely to Water and True Lemon and I am happy for it!

Good luck!

My surgeon told me that I could loose as much weight as I put the work in to loose. The average weight lost is 40-60% of excess body weight, however that is an average meaning some loose less, some loose more.

I would recommend finding a different surgeon, you need one on your side who will be supportive.

Carbinated beverages aren't difficult to give up post op. I thought it would be bad, but I really don't want them. I took a few sips of my hubs dt dew the other day and it caused belly pain, so I don't want to drink it. Crystal light has wonderful flavor packs.

Steak- some are able to eat it some aren't. Each person is different and until you are at the point to try it you won't know. Any meat you eat though will need to be tender, so a tough steak would like cause problems. But a nice tender cut of steak you should be able to handle.

This may sound horrible but it's like the old saying: "Follow the Money". Banding is the least expensive of all bariatric surgeries. Nearly 1/3 the cost of sleeve, bypass etc. And I've heard of some surgeons who aren't very proficient with the band and may try to steer their patents to a surgery where the patient has less control over. Just my opinion of course. Doctors are human too.

tmf

It's true you can't have carbonation after being banded because you risk a slip.

However, I've lost 128 pounds in 7 months, so obviously the 40lb thing he said isn't correct. I know the general rule is people losing 40%-60% of necessary weight with the Lap Band, but I firmly believe how much you lose is entirely up to you and how hard you're willing to work for it.

Btw, there are numerous people on here who've lost 100% of their excess weight.

As far as steak, that's not true. I can still eat anything I want so long as I take small bites and chew thoroughly. Some people do have trouble with certain foods after they have restriction but not everyone. Some of us can and do still eat everything.

This is just my opinion, but I'd check out another surgeon. It seems to be the surgeon you saw either wasn't well informed or had some sort of ulterior motive.

Part of the problem is every Doctor is different and every Doctor has "rules or guidelines" he/she wants the patient to adhere to. That being said, I go to a center of excellence which is like an all inclusive weight loss center. They have in house psych counselors, Doctors and Nutritionists. Now I was told by the Nutritionist and my Surgeon NO carbonation of any kind. No soda even if its flat. Last month I was at a support meeting and one of the Nurse Practitioners answered a question about it saying soda was OK in small volume.

I choose not to drink soda or any carbonated drinks as I want to keep my band and my pouch as healthy as possible. I was a terrible soda addict prior to surgery. I would easily devour a case of diet Pepsi in three days time. I thought giving it up would be tough but it wasn't.

By the way Steak, chicken no issues as long as I chew it up really good. I had a stuck episode once involving chicken but it due to being a left over and dried out. Need to soak it in some type of sauce to moisten is up.

I and many others like me have lost 100+ lbs. I don't eat steak, I will agree with your surgeon on that. It is hard to digest, also, beef of any sort. I eat very little pork , but eat lots of chicken and seafood. I,also, eat little salad as I have hard time not getting stuck on lettuce, but everyone is different. Tmf is right, he may not push the lapband in his office. My surgeon's office doesn't do gastric bypass. Best wishes, Karen

This is just my opinion, but I'd check out another surgeon. It seems to be the surgeon you saw either wasn't well informed or had some sort of ulterior motive.

Agreed

And BTW, my surgeon told me straight up that many other surgeons try to dissuade the lap band because it's not a big moneymaker. The big bucks are made in the operating room NOT with fills/follow up appointments.

Not sure I can believe such a heinous thing but it does make sense to me (about lap band not being a money maker)

funny how the silly things like drinking soda seem to be such a big deal. you have to ask yourself, what am I willing to change in my eating patterns to make my life better? this is a question only YOU can answer. Are you worth the hard work you will have to do?

I would think the answer is easy but it has to be you that answers it.