Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went To Seminar, Confused And Have Some Questions

My Surgeon came straight out and asked me why I chose the band over bypass and then stopped me before I answered and he said, "I just want to know your mindset. I am not trying to sway you one way or another". I told him my reasoning and then he said "it sounds like you know what you want and sound determined and educated on the band". He went on to tell me he believes the band will work for me just fine and we proceeded to map out all the pre-op testing and goals.

This is strictly my opinion: Any Surgeon regardless of how great their reputation is tries talking you into something you don't want....FIND someone new!!

Addiction comes in all forms....

My surgeon was very pro-Sleeve. He wasn't against Lap Band per se, but he went into great depth on the Sleeve "since your insurance covers any of the 3 WLS procedures". He came off as neutral with the RNY and Band, but was very excited about Sleeve. He asked which I wanted and why. I told him I chose Lap Band and why, and he told me it sounded like I was in the right mindset to be successful. My goal was to lose 80 lbs, and he felt band was appropriate.

I use his favoritism as motivation to show him I can be really successful with the Band, I didn't need the Sleeve!

I met with two surgeons. The first one ONLY does lap bands, and he truly believes in them. He seemed very knowledgable but wasn't "warm and fuzzy".

Then I met with a second surgeon who seemed like a real Teddy Bear. Very sweet (overweight himself, which made me feel comfortable). He did Sleeves, lap bands, and gastric bypass. I thought "this is it. i'm gonna use him"

But then his Nurse Practitioner walked in and when I told her why I would do LB over GP, she started yelling and rebuking me. she said things like "only 40% of LB's are successful" (I knew this was not true) and "you never have restriction, because even with fills you can eat donuts" (true? maybe, but who said I would be eating donuts?!?)

I told her that I would like LB because it's adjustable, removable (if need be) and does not cause any malabsorbtive problems. Even when I LOGICALLY made my points clear, she said "it's your choice, but I really think you will be making a mistake"

I never forgot that look of disgust on her face and never walked back in there. I am using the surgeon I first met with and am satisfied with my decision.

BTW, my mom had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago. She never regretted it and lost about 100 pounds, but Even now, years out, she struggles with her malabsorbtive issues (Iron deficency, not being able to take anti inflammatory for her torn tendon,constant exhaustion etc.) Also she had no control of her weight loss and now sags with extra skin.

This is not what I wanted, and if I can avoid it with alternatives, then why shouldn't I?

The projection is 40-60% of excess weight, depending on age. Keep in mind bypass has a 63% excess weight loss stat.

These numbers include people who never lose weight, some who lose a little, and those that lost all excess plus some.

Keep in mind excess is 25 bmi and above.

I go to a LB support group twice a month. My leader is somewhere in her 50's and she had herLB surgery about 1 1/2 years ago. She has lost over 180 lbs!!! She works out 5 times a week, journal's her food and has followed all the suggestions by her surgeon. ( I am suing the same surgeon ).

I went to two different seminars with two different surgeons. I choose this one becuase he really went over all three procedures, LB, Bypass and Sleeve. Explained in detail positives v. negatives for all. When you complete your paperwork you have to explain in writing, which procedure you chose and why. It couldn't hurt to check out another surgeon.

If you have decided that the Lap Band is what you want, then you can be as successful as you want! Just make sure you have 100% comfort level with your surgeon......keep us posted!