Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I Need To Get Off My Chest

Hey guys my name is Jason, I'm 21 years old (turning 22 on Friday woot woot). And im getting banded august 20th. I start my liquid diet on The 13th and I'm just ready to get this thing over with so I can shed all of this excess weight. I've been overweight all my life and I've really had no problems because I've always been active. I always played sports and played football in high school (o-line baby!). But last year when I moved out all that changed, I got lazy and gained a lot of weight and it sucks. Tonight I am going to a lap band support meeting to learn what to do and what not to do after surgery and on the liquid diet. And I have to tell you I'm kinda nervous... I'm not nervous about the surgery but I'm scared to fail. I have deemed of being skinny for as long as I can remember and I want it so bad I can literally taste it. I've never been this scared before in my life. It's like I'm excited for the results but I'm scared about the process. It's a lifestyle change and I'm really nervous. Any tips? Any words of encouragement to help me out? I don't wanna sound like a pansy or anything but I am nervous :/

hi Jason and welcome!

You are not a pansy lol. It's totally normal to be scared. I think I'd question anyone who wasn't at least a little nervous. It's a major lifestyle change!

You have nothing to fear. It's a minor surgery and the recovery process after is fairly quick. The lifestyle change can definitely be daunting. I know for me, that was the hard part. Many of us (myself included) actually go through almost a mourning like process, leaving behind the lifestyle and eating habits we've known our whole lives. I know it sounds weird, but in some ways, it's almost like losing an old friend. So many of us grieve with food, Celebrate with food, even kill boredom with food. No longer being able to do that is difficult and often emotional.

The good news it, it gets a lot easier as time goes on. I was banded 7 months ago and have lost 125 pounds so far. I love my band and the new healthier lifestyle I've adapted. I still have to do the work. I still regularly battle the difference between physical hunger and head hunger, too. But with every pound the scale drops, I am reminded how far I've come and how happy I am with my new life. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat.

My best advice is to educate yourself on the band thoroughly before surgery. Learn all about not only the mechanics of it but what to expect from it- as well as what not to expect from the band. I would also highly recommend seeing a nutritionist before surgery. A nutritionist can help you set up food guidelines specifically for your needs and lifestyle. For me, this has been a crucial part of my weight loss so far. By having clear guidelines and an understanding of nutrition, it takes the guess work out of eating.

Best wishes to you :)

Bust!!! You can do this!!! Just think of everything you will be able I accomplish, how ppl won't look at you any different because of ur size... How much more confidence you will have. I'm scared too! I have the same fears as you but I have a kid to keep up with and the fact that diabetes runs in my family and I've already lost 3 family members because of that disease. I don't want to leave my kid motherless. That's my reasoning. Journal all ur struggles and go back and read ur goals and remind urself why u are doing this. Good luck bust! You can do this!!!

First of all, congrats on making such an important decision! I haven't regretted one second since having my band placed. The nerves are completely normal.

The weight loss journey is different for everyone. What drives everyone to be successful is different. Really, the outcome lies all within you. You'll hear the bad and the good from everyone, but it all boils down to choices. My "drive" comes from a total fear of failure.

My best advice for pre-op is make sure your head is in the right place. I did a lot of soul searching before having surgery. What drove me to overeat was stress and always feeling like I needed to be busy. If I wasn't actively moving, I was eating to keep my hands busy. I had to sort out my stress and triggers before I had the band placed. In the end, it was a complete blessing in disguise because I've never been happier in my whole life than I am now.

My journey has been relatively easy so far. I sailed through surgery and recovery and have been successful so far in losing weight. I know it may not always be this easy but for now, I'm thankful. I've been very strict with myself though about following my surgeons recommendations. Protein, Veggies, then fruit. Exercise daily (some days it's only a 10 minute walk, other days a 45 minute run, just do SOMEthing every day).

Good luck to you, I wish you nothing but success!

I don't think you'll fail. Just get educated (sounds like you're doing this), and you'll be fine. I've said this before on here: "odds are you'll lose weight, more people lose than not.." Good luck! Keep in touch...

Thank you all for your kinds words and encouragement. I will def do some soul searching and get my head in the right place before surgery! I'm ready for this and the wait is killing me! (anybody see what I did there? Lol)

Thank you again guys and I'll keep everyone updated

It's amazing that you have decided to do this so young! I wish I would have started earlier. As everyone else has said, I too, was scared out of my mind! Not really for the surgery or even the change in lifestyle. For me it was more the fear of failure. I didn't want to be that one person that got the lapband and didn't lose any weight! I know a lot of people say the lifestyle change is the biggest struggle, and in the beginning I guess it is. There were a few times when I just wanted to eat whatever I want and cried because I couldn't. ...but for me, after a few months, my mind was kind of retrained into how I should have been eating. I no longer crave red meat, and I'm from SoCal. I don't know if you've ever heard of In-N-Out, but it is almost a food group here. Haha. I don't want Pasta, rice, bread... I think my brain has figured out what it does to my body and decided it's not worth it. The only starch/carb I haven't been able to let go is potatoes, and I eat them very rarely. I am 10 months out and have lost 74lbs! Over half of my excess weight. I was a fast food, ice cream, eating at 2am kind-of-person. If I can do this, so can you! Good luck and keep us all up to date! We're rooting for you!

First of all, breathe....... take each day one at a time. as the weight started to drop for me, I had to change my manner of thinking. I have to think like a healthy person. I have to think (selfishly) that I deserve this prize; the prize of a healthy life. a longer life, a life where I don't make excuses for who I am.

Start and always log your food. I use my fitnesspal.com; log everything you eat - even the "junk". If we (this is for your eyes only, be honest!) really get a look at where our problem eating comes from we can beat it.

try to keep "good foods" in your home, plan so you have something in the car to eat in case you get hungry. always, always have Water with you. I do a lot of driving so I keep a small cooler in my car with Water.

You can do this, be gentle and patient with yourself. this is not a race, don't compare your weight loss with others. we all lose differently, just keep going.

Everyday will feel better, everyday you will start to believe more in yourself.

Keep reading on this forum, there are lots of successful people. try what they do. Learn, learn, learn.

Hi Jason and welcome. Everyone is giving you great advice here and it sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and you're researching and not going into it blind and uneducated.

If you want it bad enough you can do it. Take this waiting period and learn all you can. More you learn and prepare now will just make success more obtainable.

At 488 pounds I felt hopeless....but I am doing it. It takes a lot of discipline but it must be done and done right or what's the point of it all.

Good Luck and don't be a stranger around here. A lot of good people and resources on here.

Jim

Congrats! Stay active with people that are supportive of you too (this site, close friends/family, etc) and I felt the support groups my hospital offered (no charge) were great too and helped educate me and hear real stories of what to expect. :)

Thank you all again! I've been lurking this site for months now and just never posted but now I'm def gonna be more active. An hour and a half before the meeting and I'm excited!

Make the changes before surgery. It makes them easier after.

Hi Jason!

Congrats on your new begining. I was and still am scared to fail and i think everyone is untill you start losing weight! Just remember you can do this and you will be fine. I have also found that reading the forms and asking questions have been the best thing for me to get me through this process! If it means anything i have faith in you and just take it a day at a time!

Oh and your getting surgery a day before me! :)