Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have had Breast reconstructive or reduction surgery....  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If you have had Breast reconstructive or reduction surgery....

• I lost no sensation in my nipples.
    • I lost minimal sensation in my nipples.
    • I lost all sensation in my nipples.
    • I haven't had reconstructive or reduction but I am thinking about it.

i am scheduled for breast reduction surgery on the 10th of april and am starting to have second thoughts!!! i am very saggy, and need something done...but i am afraid the doc will go too small. i am a 40 DD now, and would like to be a small D after the surgery. do you know if this is possible or does the doc have to take out a minimum for insurance to pay?

i will let you all know how it goes. for those of you who had it done, is the pain bad (be honest) : )

I found the pain to be a bit worse than I expected. I was totally out of comission for 2 weeks. I had some pain up until about 3 months post op then it pretty much stopped. Even now, 4 years later, I still get weird phantom type pains in the places that I have no feeling. It's like a deep down ache but usually goes away with some Aleve.

Hope this helps~

I had a BR 3/01 I went from a 38DDD to 38C but after the birth of my son im a 38D. One is bigger than the other and my nipples are a little high (just the opposite of the problem I had when I was a tripple D) but nothing major. I will most likely have then revised when I have my TT done (after the band of course). But I absolutly love having managable breast. I dont have to wear a bra if I dont want to, they dont roll under my armpit when I lay down, still have all the sensation in my nipple, but they do tend to stand at attention on their own at times. My advise is to wear a sports bra or a good sports bra as much as you can for at least the first year.

I plan on having both a boob reduction/lift and a Tummy Tuck all at the same time. I figure if I'm going to be out of commission for a month or more, I might as well get it all over with in one fell swoop!

I had a reduction about 7 yrs ago and to be honest it was much more painful than I had expected. I had expected a lot too. I didn't realize how little I would be able to lift my arms etc...I was very limited in a lot of activity for quite some time.

As for the nipple sensation thing...I lost virtually all feeling. Mind you, unlike some of my friends, it wasn't a big deal to me...my nipples were never high on my list for sexual satisfaction (if u get my meaning!)...so I didn't mourn the loss of that sensation much. But I do know some ppl who that would really bother.

WRT scars, I still have scars even after all this time (but I'm not a great "healer" overall)...the scars were really nasty for quite some time. But worth it in the long run.

That being said, the pain/discomfort and possible loss of nipple sensation is probably worth it if you need/want the reduction for reasons that are important to you.

Don't worry about them taking off too much!!! You should be more concerned about them not taking enough off!

Good luck.

I had a breast reduction 4 years ago....removed 6 lbs. I didn't lose any sensation at all except for on the left side of my boob....it is kinda numb ....feels weird when i scratch it ...but other than that everything is working properly....I had sensation like 3 hours after surgery.....the nurse came in to help me put on my tighter bra and she grazed the nipple with her hand or elbow or something and i felt it.....so that mad me happy. Guess i got lucky.

i had a reduction (grom DDD to D) 3 weeks ago. so far so good. i have sensation in my nipples (i can feel it when i touch it...not sure if it is sexual or not yet though (i would be a bit disapionted if i lost sexual satisfaction there...i am single...and it was a erotic area for me : )

feels weird for the girls to be gone...i miss them sometimes...i guess that is normal.

I had my reduction surgery in 1988 and was so unhappy. I completely lost all sensation. I also keloided and have large scars. A friend of mine had hers done two years later and had no loss in sensation. Of course, I am sure they have come a long way since 1988.

I have a tentative surgery date for june and keloid runs in my family. This will be my first cut of any type on my body. I was wondering if from the lap band how your scars ended up? I appreciate any input that you may have:nervous

lookg4me, there is a scar stages thread here that you can go through. there are lots of pics from bandsters who have been generous enough to show off their tummies and how they are healing. i would suggest looking in there as well.

I had a reduction 4 years ago. The nipples are fine. They work as intended. I'm happy. The sides of my breasts are numb, but still itchy at times. I know the nerves are still growing back. As for scars I have to say I'm happy, my aren't raised or very differently colored, but yeah, I do call myself "Frankentitty" at times.

The idea of more plastic surgery after the band weight loss is comforting, cuz the belly needs to go, but I'm not looking forward the recovery.

I had my reduction 8 yrs ago. I was overweight but not by too much, back then. They took just over 8 pounds total. (I was uneven and rediculously large for my frame)

I lost quite a bit of sensation after breast feeding (2 yrs before surgery) and after surgery I had absolutely no "sexual" sensitivity. I mean I could feel it, somewhat, but it no longer pushed the buttons I needed it to in order to be intimate. BOO!!

One of my nipples is round and one looks slightly stretched into an oval. :girl_hug:

My scars were pretty prominent, and I'm still a little uneven, although it's much less noticeable now.

LADIES, be very selective in your choice of surgeon! Talk to each other, and reasearh, research, research!

I was so elated to find out that my health care plan would cover the surgery entirely,(I'm from Alberta, Canada) that I didn't think I had any choices, and I took for granted that it would be done well.

I only heard later on that this surgeon had a reputation for being awful. :rose:

On the bright side, it's ten years later and I'm still very perky...even though I am now 90 lbs overweight. ...and years later a little of the sensation has returned, that or I have just learned to work with what I've got.:rose:

Take care!

Sunshine

Getting my reduction was the best move I ever made. It was 12 years ago at the age of 22, and they took 2 1/2 lbs out of each. I lost some sensation, but they work just fine. :girl_hug: And ladies - there is nothing quite like a perky set! I only hope they won't droop too badly after I get the band. But if they did, I would not hesitate to get a lift, but I would probably wait until after I have kids.

I will warn you though, it was an incredibly painful surgery. It felt like I got hit in the chest with a truck. And it takes months to fully heal. After two weeks I went back to college, but I still had to wear a bra 24/7 - even in the shower, and gravity caused the worst pain. While it was tough, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I have gone from a 42B to a 38C. Right now I am pleased with size and shape, but I still have almost 40 pounds more to lose. I have large nipples which I hate, but wouldn't have PS just to reduce or move them up.

I do have loose skin falling over my bra on my back and under my arms. I don't like that at all! My arms are also very saggy and loose from my armpit to my elbow. I definitely will need a Tummy Tuck. My butt has fallen down into my thighs.

Right Now my boobs are the best thing I have going for me.

Nice to see this post, I havent had my LB surgery yet, but have already been thinking about a TT, and Augmentation when I am done. I had a FTT done when I was 18, was very tough, but would do it again. I guess I never thought about sensation loss,,, im not one for liking mine played with anyway. So I guess I dont know if I would mind that much. I just want nice perky ones.. Ya know, ones to poke my eyes out. LOL. I never had perky ones and Im only 30,,Im just worried that my favorite tattoo will be ruined with it. Any comments from those who have had tats that were gone/moved/disfigured after this?? I just know I had a mole on my chest close up towards my breasts, and after my FTT it was next to my "new" belly button. Im hoping I wont need another FTT. Dont know if I can afford that or take the time off work for recovery of that one.. How long is recovery for the breast aug?????

I had a breast reduction 5 years ago. I had 6 pounds removed. It was the 2nd best thing I have ever done for myself. It is painful, but I only took tylenol. IT is amazing but Tylenol works well for incisional pain.... TRUST ME. I was back at work in 5 days. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. You will too.

Your doctor knows what to do he will do exactly as you want and insurance will still pay....... don't worry.