Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have had Breast reconstructive or reduction surgery....  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If you have had Breast reconstructive or reduction surgery....

• I lost no sensation in my nipples.
    • I lost minimal sensation in my nipples.
    • I lost all sensation in my nipples.
    • I haven't had reconstructive or reduction but I am thinking about it.

I hd a reduction three years ago, and I now wish that I never did. I lost semsation in my nipples, which for me was a signoficant change for my intimate relationships, I also have numbness on the sides of my breast, and my nipples look like a pasty. And there was also horrible scarring. After my weight loss, I will look into having surgery to correct the initiatl surgery, at least removing some of the scars

Sorry you had a bad time of your breast surgery. Perhaps it was the surgeon and not the procedure that was not a good idea. As for myself, I had a reduction done 13 months ago. It took a while for the scars to fade and the first month was a big production with healing BUT...I now have more sensation, not less, in my breasts and they look great. I feel like I have the tits of a twenty year old, not a mother of two at 42! Maybe you should find another dr. to fix the poor work the first one did.

I had a breast reduction in 2003, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I lost absolutely no sensation in my nipples. In a sense, my nipples are even MORE sensitive. Before they were so heavy and long, and the nipples were pointing straight down. Now they are were they should be, and readily accessible. LOL! I was worried about the nipple sensitivity issue too, but my doc did a great job. Of course, now that I will be losing all this weight, I'll probably have to eimplants at some point! :D Ironic.

ToniaPatt-

You hit the nail on the head. I had a breast reduction last april...i was happy with the size at the time. Now that I have lost more weight they are much too small...and sagging again after only a year!! For those of you thinking of a reduction...it is my advice to wait until after you are close to goal weight. I recently went to a plastic surgeon to discuss a lift with implants...i should have been patient and waited until I was closer to my goal weight!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

I had thought about a breast reduction for years.. I'm glad I didn't, I was worried about the scarring..

After being banded, just from the weight I've lost, my boobs point DOWN. And I'm 23.. it's so depressing.. Even when my arms are up over my head, they still go DOWN.

I told husband when I'm near goal, the only surgery I have thought about is doing my boobs. I want young happy boobs.. I don't know what that's like!

I originally thought, I would just get implants so they don't sag.. but then doing research I read every 5 years implants have to be replaced. So you'd have to have boob surgery every 5 years??? Anyone know if this is true or not?

i am 32 and have old grandma boobs already and have for years. mine sag like basset hound ears . my nipples look like broken compasses...always pointing south.

i am literally flat chested with out my bra on to scoop and lift them back to where they are supposed to be. funny how my bf can tickle my knee and my boob at the same time with out moving his hand.

I plan on getting a lift and reconstruction after i hit my goal. I want to be a small c when all is said and done.

omg tina you're hilarious...loved your comment - so funny! all the best with your reconstructive surgery..I hope you're very happy with your new perky C's!

I had a breast reduction myself a few years ago (probably closer to 6 years) and it was one of the best decisions I would ever have. I have very LITTLE feeling in my nipples but knew that would be the case going into it as - due to my size they had to completely detach and reattach my nipples. So I have loss of sensation and I will never be able to breastfeed but it was definitely worth it.

In regards to the post by Lauraj23 (and anyone else out there), my girl friend's cousin had a gastric bypass (as did my girl friend) about 3 years ago now and because she did have quite large boobs and no reduction prior to the weight loss, she did not have enough elasticity in her skin to be able to get her boobs fixed. I cant remember all of the details but that was the main part of it. My friend who also had the bypass had a reduction many many years before so her boobs are not in quite as bad of shape (not great or perky but manageable).. just food for thought..

I originally thought, I would just get implants so they don't sag.. but then doing research I read every 5 years implants have to be replaced. So you'd have to have boob surgery every 5 years??? Anyone know if this is true or not?

I have never heard of replacements every 5 years.

I was just in Cancun with a few friends. One of the gals that I was with has had her implants for 19 years. She was considering having them replaced (bigger) but her surgeon told her that hers were in great shape and perfectly proportioned for her body. We already told her that but I guess she wanted a professional opinion...lol. ;)

In regards to the post by Lauraj23 (and anyone else out there), my girl friend's cousin had a gastric bypass (as did my girl friend) about 3 years ago now and because she did have quite large boobs and no reduction prior to the weight loss, she did not have enough elasticity in her skin to be able to get her boobs fixed. I cant remember all of the details but that was the main part of it.

That's pretty unusual. Plastic surgeons do breast reductions after WLS all the time. I'm planning to do it and the PS I had my consult with didn't see any problems with it.

Perhaps its more like how the PS told me that I'd have to go with a lift and an implant because although they can remove some loose skin and improve the tone of the breasts with just a lift, the tops of them will remain flabby unless the skin is actually filled out again. Without an implant I will have a higher, firmer breast, smaller too, but still with that ugly skin that puddles up.

So if your skin is in really poor condition and you have a reduction the result might be quite disappointing?

I had a lift in March 08(banded 7/22/08) They took me down 2 1/2 sizes and I've lost a little over 60lbs since then, Which really hasn't effected my breast because of the reduction but Jachut is right. You most likely will need implants to fill out the top. The bottom part of my breast looked great but the top was still flat. I am now recovering from the BA (on 1/13/09) and glad I did it. PS said it was ok to go ahead and do the implants now even though I still have near 30lbs left to lose because I didn't really have much up top left to lose. To be honest with you I really didn't lose any breast do to weight loss because she had already taken them. I really sagged (but not any more) I guess that's why she took so much off. Just to much lose skin. But anyway back to the question at hand: I lost no sensation with the reduction or the implants. So now I'm just waiting for my lovely ladies to drop and fluff, but that's a whole other issue.

Edited by kimaly

That's to funny!!! I was just glad to see mine could still do that after having surgery twice on the poor girls.

I had a reduction done when I was 19 and went from a 36FF to a 36C. I was huuuge! Stripper huge. After the operation my friends kept commenting that they always thought I was fat but it turned out I was skin and bone and all boob. I was 140lbs and a good 20 of it was boob.

Too bad that didn't stick 'cause now I'm just fat.

I lost some sensation in the area under the nipple, about 2 inches on either side of the vertical incision. I can deal with that but the one thing I really hate is that my headlights are ALWAYS on to some degree. I want to lose weight so I can get myself a nice padded bra that covers the girls a little better and keeps them from showing the constant chills. My surgeon did an excellent job but it's just one of those things that cannot be controlled 100% when you rearrange anatomy.