Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lidocaine Prior To Lap Band Fill

I had my second fill yesterday and asked for lidocaine to numb before fill what a diffence i didnot feel it just the small pick for lidocaine . I was nervous cause the first fill hurt .

Glad it worked. I've never used it and my fills have never bothered me. But my Dr doesnt do blind fills either. Under floroscopy they can see where the needle is going therefore never miss. I think if I had to get stuck more then once I would opt for it!!

Anything that helps is ok in my book :)

I wonder if they could mark the area somehow so its accurate for the doctor. Lidocaine is a great idea. Prior to seeing your doctor I wonder of you used oral gel on the area if it would also help.

My surgeon said he numbs up the area before a fill too so hopefully they won't be too bad.

Glad it worked. I've never used it and my fills have never bothered me. But my Dr doesnt do blind fills either. Under floroscopy they can see where the needle is going therefore never miss. I think if I had to get stuck more then once I would opt for it!!

Anything that helps is ok in my book :)

i maybe getting my first fill on the 7th of august

they do everything under the fluro also.

is that like a big xray machine? do you stand/lay?

does this help with (possible too much fill)?

as you can tell, i havent had a fill yet so i am in the woods on this..

I've never been numbed prior to a fill and aside from the little prick of the needle, it's very painless.

I've never understood why the Drs would do that since you end up with 2 needles, not 1 and you still end up feeling the prick of a needle.

During fluro they lay you on a x ray bed thing and the person doing the fill can see your port and just slides the needle in. Once its in they stand you up by making the bed move. Fluid is removed to be sure you still have the same amount in that is documented then put more in. You swallow a bit of barium that they can see go down that way they can tell stuff goes down and check to be sure your pouch is good. You'll drink a bit of Water to be sure all goes down. Easy as pie I think. One stick and your done. I dont think it hurts at all.

IT IS A BLIND POKE AND THE LIDOCAINE POKE IS ALL YOU FEEL NOT THEM POKING AROUND LOOKING FOR THE PORT HE GOT RIGHT IN IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE COMPARED TO THE LAST TIME. IM A NURSE AND START IV ALL THE TIME ONLY START THEM WITH LIDOCAINE . EVERY PERSON HAS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE WITH THERE BAND FILL.

nice info susansoul

My doctor did my first fill by feel. He used lidocaine, felt like a mosquito bite, and then the saline. This guy did a fine job of locating my port merely by feel since it's under a large amount of belly fat. The procedure was done in a snap! My concerns about pain and poking were unfounded.

My doctor did not use lidocaine and I didn't need it. I didn't even really feel it. He used a very small needle.

I always get lidocaine - I can't take the pain without it

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I experience a brief wince-worthy moment then it's all over but the bandaid. No lido, no fluro, so far no problems. Dr.Beckstedt has great aim. I don't enjoy the procedure but don't worry about it either.

My nurse does it by feel and they've never missed the port or had to poke around

My dr also does it by feel. Never had a fleuro. In Jan, however, during a fill. He has a hard time finding my port. He stuck me about 12 times. I was bruised and sore for about a week. He alwyas uses lidocaine also.

Marci