Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Pre And Post Surgery

Day Four...hardest so far. I'm REALLY hungry today. Not sure why more today than the previous 3...but I am.

I am holding steady, tho...have had two shakes today and a s/f Jello. That stuff just plops down in your belly...makes me not hungry for about 10 minutes.

What has been the hardest day for you all?? A friend told me that DAY THREE of any fast is the toughest...once I'm through that, it should be easier. But Day Four is proving tougher than yesterday.

Of course I'm not caving, but do wonder what day you all found to be your hardest???

I'll be honest with you, I'm on day 7 and it still sucks. Doing fine in the morning, but by the afternoon I have a headache and I just feel done. I haven't caved either, but last night I seriously thought I was gonna attack my husband for a taco!!! LOL!!! We will get through this!!!!

Anne...LOL...I know just what you mean!! My hub and boys had spaghetti w/ Ital sausage last night! It smelled SOOOOOOO GOOD....and its one of our fave meals. I am struggling, too, with not being present at the table with them or just sucking it up and trying to just ignore what's going on....we soooooo value our family dinner time so I just can't bring myself to absent myself from them. BUT, depending on how I feel going along here, I just might have to.

But yes, you're right....WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!

Thanks for posting!

dinner for me also is the hardest time right now. My inspiration for not caving on the liquid diet is this....my sister-inlaw who had the lap band done 4 years ago also suffered through the pre-op diet, and she found that it REALLY helped her be prepared for her post-op diet and her new lifestyle. She lost weight right out of the gate, followed everything to a tee, has never had any complications, and is now at her ideal weight and able to manage her new healthy, happy lifestyle. Another friend of mine who had surgery 2 years ago, ignored the pre-op diet, and was not prepared at all for her post-op diet and lifestyle. It took her 6 months before she was able to start getting on track. I know everyone is totally different, but I think it's a good comparison for me to look at and to help me get through these final days before surgery.

FANTASTIC that you have someone near and dear to 'watch' during this journey. That's great. I don't have anyone near me, so I'm just winging it here. I do have a friend in MO (I'm in IN) who's had it done (2 yr ago); he's lost 100 lbs, and feel fab!! He is my 'nearest' inspiration...but I just keep saying "its only two weeks!"...tho I do realize its actually more than that with the post-op restrictions. But some days I do say, too, "why don't you just learn to love yourself the way you ARE and not have to put yourself thru 'this'?"

Its so tempting to give in to that...esp today when I'm just so hungry.

Still, we press on.

I am a little envious of some of the pre diets I've read because mine is strickly liquids. The only "food" I can have is grits with spenda, low fat sugar free pudding or Jello. Diet fruit juice, veg juice, sugar free low fat sherbert which I can not take to work because our freezer does not work. It's been very hard but I'm on day 3 and I'm doing it! I just keep my mind on the goal and when I get hungry I find something to do. I've never liked grits but right now I'm loving them!

I had the same thought about if I can do this why am I having surgery but I know I would not stick to this like I am without knowing if I don't it will not happen.

This is the same diet I had (except I was not allowed grits. I wasnt allowed that until week 3). Day 4, it got easier. It will get better. Just keep drinking. Protein makes you feel full. SF popsicles saved me. I did 2 weeks all liquid after surgery also. So it can be done. Best of luck.

Hi everyone....I started my liquid diet today...for two weeks. Procedure is scheduled for July 31.

I started this day with GREAT DREAD' date=' because, like most of you, I AM A FOODIE. I love the taste, texture and comfort that REAL food gives me...and to go w/o that for two weeks, well....its not something I'm looking forward to.

I HAD to purchase a Protein shake from my surgeon's office. They require this because there are SO many varieties out there, they want to be sure I am getting the most for my , and that I am adequately prepared for the surgery.

I have had TWO shakes today, and must say that I have a LONG way to go to get it figured out. Its gonna be a LONG two weeks!

I have been encouraged, watching some YouTube videos "before/after" stories....and those have re-enforced my resolve that this is THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Finally.

I'm 50 y/o, and still have lots of years ahead. Want them to be the best ever!![/quote']

Hi !! I am scheduled the 30th and I am on day 5.. Just hang in the best you can.. It does suck, really! But honestly I would do it again for the better good that's coming.. This journey 7mo ago and I am sooooo ready.. Hang in there, everyone is here for us..

Banderama we are here for you hon... We are all in this journey together and although you should check with you doc coming here for the support is alway's aplus.. I am having my lapband 7/30/12.. Expect to be hungry for a few days but it passes I am on day 5, it sucks but not as bad as day 1.. Hang in there..

Banderama-no worries for asking. We are here to voice our opinions. It's all a matter of opinion and voice to be heard. So anyways....

My pre-op diet was shakes prescribed by my physician. 5x a day which equaled 800cal. Which was NOTHING compared to what I WAS eating. Some doctors will say it's okay to incorporate one piece of chicken a day that has absolutely no seasoning, only boiled in Water. My doctor didn't say I could do this, but I did on 3 of the days because I thought I was going to die. The only other thing I could have was the sugar free jell-o like, 1 or 2 a day. I think it is good you are asking because you should be prepared to be exhausted. Don't plan anything where you will have to be on top of your game, because you will feel pretty darn weak due to the decrease in calories. Keep hydrated with Water to help you stay full cause you will be feeling SOOOOOOO hungry. BUT just think of what it's for. In the long run, you will be so happy that you went through a few weeks of hell for the outcome you wanted.

I lost 14lbs on the 2 week pre-op diet.

As far as post op, you're generally on a clear liquid diet for a while still. Once you get your first fill you'll most likely be on a clear liquid for a day or two and then full liquids which, everyone's interpretation of "full liquids" varies and what people can tolerate varies lol I know that I was able to tolerate mash potatoes that were very watery....not traditional thick potatoes...whereas, some people can't tolerate mash potatoes. Very much a trial and error period once you start introducing foods again.

Best of luck to you!! :)

I just got banded this morning. To be honest I was to follow a pre op diet of 2 Protein shakes and a Protein non starchy veggy for dinner. Well I was struggling with it and asked a friend of mine (who we have the same surgeon) how she went thru it, and she asked me what diet) So I decieded to eat sinciablely but sometimes I had food I shouldn't have. I did following the strick liquid regimine the day before surgery and no food/water after midnight.

The surgeon had no problem with placing the band today. Rite now I am very sore and tired. Honestly I am craving a cheeseburger and fries from McDonald's. LOL But my liquids are going down with no prolem.

Define Clear Liquids?

Wow, Mom, to pop in just after your surgery! I'd say you are doing GREAT! And craving that McD burger sounds pretty normal! I personally think it's nuts to say you can NEVER eat that again, BUT for me, I'd have to have a heavy guard along to make sure I don't get carried away.

I, too, am sticking "pretty close" to the strict liquid diet, but I have had a couple bites of things just about every day. But this is NOTHING compared to my normal daily intake...so with that in mind, I call this holding steady. I will not lose my mind here, but I guess I am a wimp. I so admire you folks who can resist these impulses...

I have not had enough to drink today...better get some more in. This has been my ickiest day yet...thank the Lord it's almost over. took a long nap today and feel like I could crawl in bed now and sleep all night. (its 8 pm).

I am trying to think about all my body is going thru now: less food, no sugar, no salt, (except for those sinful nibbles)....this is MAJOR. So it's reasonable to feel crappy. But I take hope in your stories! It can be done!

Thanks everyone!

Define CLEAR LIQUIDS?

Define CLEAR LIQUIDS?

Did anyone ever respond to this?

Clear liquids are those liquids tou can SEE THROUGH...broth, Jello, sugar-free drinks - NO SODA.

Day FIVE and I want to scream. Or just go to bed and ignore this horrible weak tired feeling until it goes away. I thought yesterday was bad....this is not improving.

Probably need to up my liquids...incl Water.

Bandera, not a dumb questionat all. I was surprised by how different the doctors seem to handle things. My aunt had the surgery lady year and her doctor only required a week of s liquid diet. My doctor requires a two well liquid diet to shrink the liver to make surgery easier. He also requires me to use a specific drink because it he's ask required Vitamins and nutrients. Blue Point Surgical Group in case you're interested.

I'm in my two week pro-op currently. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Yes you need to trust your surgeon but I understand wondering. If your extremely nervous you can look up statistics on your doctor. Past that you need to trust he/she knows what they're doing.