Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval This Afternoon, Not Sure What To Expect.

I'm not sure what kind of questions the analyst will be asking, or what kind of 'tests' he may be conducting. (I mention tests because the appointment setter did)

Can anyone share what I might expect? Thanks in advance!

Lori

They will most likely want to know about your history and your current support system. They just want to make sure you are aware of the process and that your intentions are in the right place and that you have support around you. It's nothing to be stressed about. Mine was quick and easy. Good luck! Post after you go :)

Thanks KC. I will post this evening or tomorrow and let you know how it went.

I had to complete about 260 question, questionnaire and then spoke to the actual doctor for about 15 minutes. The questions were just one liners and some were very odd. If there is anything you don't want your lap band doc to know about you, don't tell the psych doctor. I was surprised when I got a copy of my letter from the psych to the lap band doc and mentioned why I was unhappy in the past, this was unnecessary to tell the lap band doc. All he needed to do is write something like issues resolved, not the actual reason why I was unhappy.

My insurance required a Psych evaluation too. they told me to prepare for at least 4 hours in their office. Which wasn't incorrect. I was required to take about 8 different test. the main theme drugs. They asked it every way possible to see if you have ever abused drugs. I actually met with the Dr. for only 10 minutes.

Just relax and you will do fine...

Lori - just go and be relaxed. They just want to make sure that it is YOU who wants to do this, that you have some support and that you aren't a total WACKO. There are times when you can get a bit down with your new eating lifestyle and they want to make sure you understand and can handle it emotionally. I agree with some others - don't tell them anything you don't want the doctor to know. You will do fine - just relax.

Melinda in Florida

Yes, my psych visit also consisted of taking a 300+ question test and then meeting with the actual Dr after and going over any problems. The test is used to gauge if you have any unrealistic expectations or underlying psychological issues they should be concerned about.

Don't be worried!

Just tell him you are a psycho from being fat and take a 300 question test of the same questions asked 300 different ways!

The above is true....there was this long questionaire to fill out, I thought my hand was gonna fall off!

But when I was done, I sat down in the office and talked to the dr. it was not hard at all it was just like talking to a friend about getting the lapband but it was a very in depth conersation about my feelings, support at home, and where I was mentally about me changing my body

OMG Ric..you answer was so funny (and so true) I burst out laughing and I am at work ! I guess when you think about it - we are all a bit touched in the head to have a band put around the top of our stomach so we can eat "morsals". But look at the results ! I for one am happy and would do this again in a minute. There is 102 pounds less of me (there is still 163 pounds of me left) and I love it...

Melinda in Florida

Though the questions on the "test" may seem redundant, there are several measurement scales built into them...mostly to measure for emotional stability, honesty in your answers, to identify any possible underlying mood disorders, and to assess for a history or current substance abuse or drug addiction. Some surgeons will not do the procedure on someone who has a history of addictions...as that population usually has a chaotic lifestyle and does not do well with the structured lifestyle of someone who needs to measure portions and stay on a schedule with meals and diet compliance.

The evaluation does want to assess you expectations about the WLS, and be certain that they are realistic. The evaluation is also used to assess one's ability to manage stress and motivation to make the lifestyle changes required for post op weight loss success.

Really, it is not anything to worry about...though the stigma of dealing with psychological issues prevails in our society in general, so many have expressed negative feelings about this pre op requirement.

To all of you who responded: Thanks for your various answers!

My visit ended up consisting of a quite casual conversation with the Dr. We talked about my kids, his kid, the procedure, my fears of failing, and ended with him telling me that sometimes they will have the patient take a test, but he didn't feel that was necessary in my case as he was not picking up any psychoses from our discussion. LOL.

My hubs had joked before I went in that they just wanted to make sure I was crazy enough to go through with it!

I actually slept last night! Yay!

tiggergramma- so glad you passed your test..see we told you that your weren't crazy - yet...LOL. Now, on to the next step. Keep us posted and hang in there.

Melinda in Florida

I didn't have to take a test. I did however have to have two sessions with the Psychologist. She just asked me about my life and my weight issues. It was a breeze!

My psych appointment I just had to go in and talk to him for 30-45 minutes and I was done. I mainly stressed the point that my weight was a roadblock and that I was ready to work over it with the help of lapband. The band is a tool, and it would require lots of work on my part. He just asked a few questions after that and I was good to go!