Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacationing With People Who Don't Know

so I'm going to Florida for 9 days with some female friends. None of them know I've been banded (June 5th) and I'd like to keep it that way. All of them are skinny but they eat and drink like crazy. We are driving to Florida, which is about 8 hrs away. Needless to say, I'm nervous. I know they are going to want to stop for fast food twice on the way down there, I know they will wan to go out and I know the drinks will be aflowin'. I need a valid excuse/reason to give them for why I can't eat carbs or more than a saucer of food at a time and an alternate choice besides fast food!

I know what you mean, none of my friends know either, but I am surprised as to how many never questioned my eating habits..One I do drink, but remember not to drink and eat! If eating, just move the food around, try to not eat bread. I just told my friends I am on a diet, and I hated it, and that was fine, once I had to excuse myself as I was feeling a bit stuck..but no one questioned anything..It is a great thing to be prepared, but I think we over think things too...Enjoy your time!!!

If in doubt, you can always fall back on irritable bowel syndrome. A flare up can mean that you have to stay away from certain foods or you'll be on the loo for hours, will explain stomach cramps (if you're still a little tender), and people don't ask many questions about it. Let them know you have a funny tummy and are keeping a close eye on what you eat so you don't spoil your holiday.

I know that getting a lap-band can be a truly private matter, but at the same time it is a part of your life now, a part of YOU, and you should be proud to tell people that you made a life-changing decision to live a healthy life. You may find that these women that you are vacationing with will be an incredible support to you when you need it most!

HUGS!

Oh, I could have written this post. I am going out of town next week with co-workers (conference for work) and no one knows that I had the surgery. We met up last night to discuss the trip and someone brought pizza.. I nibbled on it and one of the ladies got full of questions.. I just passed it off as low carb dieting and after several funny looks, she changed the subject.. I'm worried about spending a whole week with them (and like your group, they like to drink, eat everything and are skinny).. I'm hoping that they will just leave it alone since they've noticed the weightloss and will comment how good I look.

Why cant you just be on a diet ? :)

One "fib" usually leads to another, and so on...I guess I am brutally honest with others...and have not made any excuses for the way or what I eat. You're allowed to be on a diet, or change up the way you do things without having to explain yourself to them.

My two closest friends know about my surgery, and are very supportive. I just believe in having well defined boundaries with others...you tell them only what you feel comfortable with disclosing. Initially, it may create some passing awkward moments, but ultimately if you prefer to not disclose to others you have had a band placed, you should honor your own feelings first. On this topic, stay in your comfort zone.

As the very old saying goes..."to thine own self be true". I live by those words...for me it helps to keep things simple, the way I prefer them to be!

I hope you enjoy your trip!

I can't be on a diet cuz it's vacation and who diets on vacation?? These women have probably never dieted either, so they would only scoff at that. And my in laws are very unsupportive in whatever I do, and one of the ladies going to Florida with me is good friends of the family, so if she knows the whole clan will know. About three years ago a family friend got gastric and she lost 50 lbs and gained most back within the year....I heard so much gossip and negative things about her being lazy and taking the easy way out, I'd rather keep my business to myself!

Yes, people who are serious about losing weight DO diet on vacation!!!! All my co workers know is that I've been on an extreme weight loss program this past year and NEVER question it!

Yea ok i can see that might be awkward for you, but inventing illness is a little risky too, how about saying u might have a grain intolerance so u got to cut it out completely to see if that helps. Saying u might have something is sort of only a half truth/lie .. or plain just dont be hungry, i would never question anything if one of my friends toid me they werent hungry .. Car sickness maybe, or a sore throat, hurts to eat .. this isnt an easy problem :)

Not too many people know about my surgery either. I have told literally everyone that I am meeting with a dietitian regularly and I need to follow the rules to be successful! Everyone thinks its great that I'm doing that and in all honesty it's not a lie! I do meet with the nutritionalist at the dr. Office about once a month!

I think your friends will respect you are watching what you eat. If it was me I would just say “Your so funny if I was as skinny as you I would eat what I wanted to also . . . but I not so I am watching what I eat” and let it go.

Don't give yourself an excuse to fall back into bad habits cause they will come back still skinny and you will come back with extra pounds. Once you slip into the world of bad habits for that many days it will be so hard to start over.

It would be nice to come back from a great vacation and be down a few pounds!!!

Cheri

You don't have to tell them. I just returned from five days away with 20 of my closest friends and none of them knew.

Tell your friends that you had a stomach flu yesterday, and that food is not really appealing to you. After a few days if they ask you why aren't better yet, tell them that you're totally better, but still don't really feel like eating, and as long as you feel that way, you're going to run with it! Wrinkle your nose at food!

The great time!

I never understood what the big problem is.

What's wrong with looking them directly in the eye and simply say you are trying to eat right and take care of yourself?

Plenty of people are doing that.

Do people feel bad because they can't be gluttons?

I have no plans on disclosing my upcoming surgery to anyone but my soon to be ex-husband and only him because I need a ride to and from the surgery center, LOL. This is private decision that I made for myself and it's none of my family's or friends business unless I want it to be. I don't mind going out to eat with friends and family and eating what I can because what I eat or don't eat is none of their business as well. Don't worry about what they think and have a WONDERFUL VACATION!