Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to the doctor and he gave me the pros and cons of lap band and the pros and cons of the sleeve. I feel the sleeve would be best for me. He said since I am young a foreign body for that long wouldn't be best for me. And that makes sense. I wanted to say thank you for all your support thus far :) you guys are great. Good luck on your own journeys!

Good Luck with your decision!

Just remember the sleeve isn't reversable. Always the bad can be removed even let out when you get pregnant. But congrats on your decision. What made you go that route over the lap band.

Just remember the sleeve isn't reversable. Always the bad can be removed even let out when you get pregnant. But congrats on your decision. What made you go that route over the lap band.

My doctor told me that many people fail the lapband but people succeed as well...he said if I was 60 he wouldn't have even brought it up. With me being 23 he said I should think about erosion and what will happen in 20 years with the band. Other surgeries may need to be done, or even have the band replaced. He also said that weightloss is much slower with the band. He expects me to lose 60% of my excess in 6 months!!! I just think this would be best for me, I am not trying to sway anyone else to the sleeve just stating what he told me :)

My doctor told me that many people fail the lapband but people succeed as well...he said if I was 60 he wouldn't have even brought it up. With me being 23 he said I should think about erosion and what will happen in 20 years with the band. Other surgeries may need to be done, or even have the band replaced. He also said that weightloss is much slower with the band. He expects me to lose 60% of my excess in 6 months!!! I just think this would be best for me, I am not trying to sway anyone else to the sleeve just stating what he told me :)

I think it's a good choice at your age like your doctor said. I'm just hoping mine doesn't cause any erosion in the next 10 plus years:) I got it when I was 30. I wish you well!

My doctor and his nurse practitioner both recommended the band over the sleeve for me because I was 21 - it's interesting how surgeons have such differing opinions on these sorts of things.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

My doctor said hands down that if I wanted a kid that the band was the way to go because of nutritional reasons. You have more sway with the band than the sleeve, though he prefers the sleeve procedure.

Celebrate your body now... in its healthy' date=' normal functioning state. Surgery mutilates your stomach and forever changes how you eat... etc, etc... It is NOT the answer!

Blessings,

Amy Beth[/quote']

Just because we chose a different surgery does not make hers a lesser choice! I know someone who had gastric bypass and has done great, but it wasn't the type of surgery for ME. It doesn't change her success or make it any different than what I hope to achieve.

Sometimes the rudeness on this forum is appalling.

Celebrate your body now... in its healthy, normal functioning state. Surgery mutilates your stomach and forever changes how you eat... etc, etc... It is NOT the answer!

Blessings,

Amy Beth

so this person joined in 2008 and has only posted once?

something doesn't seem right.

I'd like to hear more of this person's logic.

If I can make ONE person rethink surgery, it is well worth being called rude. As a person who struggles with obesity and who has had surgery, I have every right to my opinion.

Everyone wants a fix to this very complicated illness that is obesity. Surgery is not the answer.

Find a group... or a buddy... and make lifestyle changes.

I wish everyone well here.

Amy Beth

I'm still curious as to how you have an account since 2008 (4 years old) and then of all days you post now bashing any kind of surgery to assist with weight loss.

I'm curious as to your medical background? Where did you get your degree? Have you authored any journals or studies on how ANY kind of weightloss surgery isn't a tool to weightloss?

If I can make ONE person rethink surgery, it is well worth being called rude. As a person who struggles with obesity and who has had surgery, I have every right to my opinion.

Everyone wants a fix to this very complicated illness that is obesity. Surgery is not the answer.

Find a group... or a buddy... and make lifestyle changes.

I wish everyone well here.

Amy Beth

Amy or whomever you are. Lapband is NOT advertised as a quick fix for weightloss here on LBT. If anything we preach its a tool to assist on weight loss. You still have to exercise and diet.

Well..... first of all..... no need to be skeptical about who I am. If I wanted to be anonymous, I wouldn't have signed! lol

I never said it was a "quick" fix. It is what everyone who chooses surgery hopes will be a fix to the problem... but it is not the answer IN MY OPINION.

Doctors, centers, and clinics are making a fortune operating on people who are suffering with a very complex issue. Yes, it is a tool... but it is a costly tool with an inceasingly high failure rate. European studies are much more accurate because they have been doing the procedures for a longer period of time.

No need to get hostile... I'm not bashing you and your choice... just hopeful that people who are considering surgery will think again.

Off again I ride into internet obscurity.... lol

Be well! :)

I love these people who just drop in to voice their opinion on our lifes when they really don't know anything about what we go through. Band was for me but not for everyone. Let people choose their own surgery . . . some WLS do not work for everyone.

No use exchanging words with them as they are on a mission. We are on a wonderful journey don't let them ruin it for you!!!

cheri