Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello fellow bandsters,

I had surgery on March 12th, 2012. I lost 16 pounds pre-op and another 15 post-op.....but that's it! I'm so frustrated that I want to burst into tears. I've had two fills so far totaling 5.75 cc's with another fill on July 6th and my restriction is still very low. Granted it is a tad bit harder to eat certain things than it was after the first fill, but after two fills I should be feeling something....RIGHT??!!!??? I've recently began working out like an animal in the gym and my scale still won't grant me any leeway. My scale hasn't moved much since the end of May. Please help guys, I'm becoming sad and discouraged and beginning to wonder if this was all worth it.

Some people need more in their band to fell restriction than others, it's frustrating.

I know you said you are working out, but are you also keeping your serving sizes to a cup or less of food? Are you tracking your calories? If not, this would be the best place to start. Most people who don't track their calories are shocked when they do because they're usually eating a lot more calories and fat than they realized.

I agree with Mis73 100%. You may feel like you're eating a fraction of what you used to eat, but you still really need to track. I love myfitnesspal.com for tracking.

Also, I didn't feel a bit of restriction until my third fill, so hang in there.

Hang in there, it usually takes a few fills to get restriction, for me it was my third. I hope that is the case with you. 15 pounds in 3 months is really right on track. That's a little over a pound a week if I am doing my math right. We can expect to loose 1-2 pounds a week. That's great your working out, keep it up. The scale will reward your hard work, just try to be patient. I know that it's hard. How often are you weighing yourself? You might want to try just getting on the scale once a week or so, if it's discouraging you to get on the scale it's not helpfull. Good Luck!

Banded May 24th and will not get a fill until July 9th I am also getting a wee bit upset. Did not have to lose any before surgery. Have lost about 24lb now gained back some since I am on third stage. I am watching everything I put in my mouth so i feel your pain. I will try and be patient with you, hang in there we are all together

lassie

Well granted I'm not perfect, but I recently signed up for weight watchers with which I've had previous success. I'm on track with that do far. And I know I'm very wrong for this, but I've been weighing myself obsessively in the past month. Sometimes twice a day. I don't eat the "slide through" foods. For the most part I eat okay. But I can still eat full portions of things, healthy things, but full portions non the less! That is my sure sign that I'm not at the green. I hope I'm able to feel it when I do get there. Thanks guys!

Mrs 2012 and Lassie. Chill out girls. This is a marathon, not a 100 yd dash. Both of you have lost scads of weight already. Why so grumpy? I know I'm not alone when I say that I lost about 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for 4 months. Now I've lost 38 lbs total. I've read so many others this happened to. You have to get to the green zone before you really start to lose fat unless you do some extreme dieting. It takes time. No need to worry or be concerned.

And I didn't feel anything till fill #3 and didn't find the green zone till #6. So, no, you don't have to feel anything by fill #2.

Lassie, you lost 24 lbs the first month. Congrats and why are you upset? When have you ever lost 24 lbs in one month? And you have the tool to keep it off now?

tmf

Well granted I'm not perfect, but I recently signed up for weight watchers with which I've had previous success. I'm on track with that do far. And I know I'm very wrong for this, but I've been weighing myself obsessively in the past month. Sometimes twice a day. I don't eat the "slide through" foods. For the most part I eat okay. But I can still eat full portions of things, healthy things, but full portions non the less! That is my sure sign that I'm not at the green. I hope I'm able to feel it when I do get there. Thanks guys!

You're in bandster hell. You'll be there till you find the green zone. And yes, it sucks but most of us were there early in our journey.

tmf

There is some logic to the term "bandster hell"...but the band being the tool that it is requires something called Portion Control also to work. And it does require development of awareness of everything you put into your mouth and will power to manage your hunger between meals. We are also supposed to make healthy food choices, with lean Proteins and Fiber carbs. The only real tool I have found which works for me is to drink the free fluids (FF & SF) we are supposed to have every day. Doing that helps me stretch the time between meals to 4 hours, sometimes longer.

Again, as others have previously mentioned, some surgeons want us to measure our portions, some advise to count calories. I have been advised to measure my portions by volume for every meal. Either way, all the exercise in the world will not make much difference if the amount of food you eat exceeds the number calories you burn.

Best wishes to you as you continue on your journey!

FF is fat free and SF is sugar free:)

Good luck on your journey!!

Sounds like you need to start measuring your food. Just because you can eat lots of healthy foods does'nt mean you should. My doctor says to weigh 3 oz of solid Protein, and then eat low fat/cal veggies until full. You'd be suprised how little 3 oz looks on the plate!

Some people can loose weight by just eating less of all foods. The rest of us have to severly restrict the foods we choose: baked chicken no skin or any kind of crumb topping, low fat cheese, fat free yogurt.

Never weight yourself after you've put any food or drink in your body! You will always weight more!

You mentioned going to the gym. How many days and how long? Most doctors wants at least 30 minutes daily.

You are loosing at ann acceptable rate. I loose less than 1 lb a week and do 1.5-2.5 hours moderate cardio 7 days a week; and stay under 1200 cals a day.

Mrs 2012 and Lassie. Chill out girls. This is a marathon, not a 100 yd dash. Both of you have lost scads of weight already. Why so grumpy? I know I'm not alone when I say that I lost about 12 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for 4 months. Now I've lost 38 lbs total. I've read so many others this happened to. You have to get to the green zone before you really start to lose fat unless you do some extreme dieting. It takes time. No need to worry or be concerned.

And I didn't feel anything till fill #3 and didn't find the green zone till #6. So, no, you don't have to feel anything by fill #2.

Lassie, you lost 24 lbs the first month. Congrats and why are you upset? When have you ever lost 24 lbs in one month? And you have the tool to keep it off now?

tmf

thanks tomuchfun I was laughing out loud at your statement. no I have not lost that much in one month I will be a much better young lady of 64. lol :)

lassie

thanks tomuchfun I was laughing out loud at your statement. no I have not lost that much in one month I will be a much better young lady of 64. lol :)

lassie

Oh, OK. I just thought you were braggin'. :P I know I would if I lost 24 lbs in 30 days. Woo Hoo!

tmf

Have you tried using smaller plates/ bowls/ utencils when u eat? I used my 5 year olds things my first few months out, and it helped. You eat with your eyes, if u have more in front of you, you will eat it. I am 10 months out and i do not and have never measured or weighed my food. I do not count calories, or chart my food. Way to much work for me. I remember the portions i used to eat, and only eat 1/4 of that now, whether im full or not. You will start to feel good restriction probably after 3-5 fills, maybe even more. Be patient, hang in there, and keep exercising. You will see results in no time!