Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Be Feeling? Post Op Day 3

Today I woke up sore, but able to move around, slowly. I haven't taken pain meds since yesterday afternoon. I feel like my port site is rock hard. When I drink sips, I can feel it gliding down, and it kinda burns down my back like heartburn. I'm tolerating more fluids so far today. I did have an episode of vomiting yesterday morning. When I breath in, my muscles are sore, like when you are sick and coughing a lot.

I feel like a lot of people say they are feeling good by now and I seem to be healing slower. Are these normal sensations for this timeframe? Should I be worried that I threw up that one time?

ETA: I'm burping....a lot!

I dont know either. This is my fouth day. I have pain in my side.

Im currently on day 7 and I didn't really turn a corner until day 4. The first 3 days are the worst. It also hurt when I breathed but I mad it a point to take 6-10 long slow deep breaths every hour. My doctor gave me a spirometer to breathe into. I wouldn't worry about throwing up the one time, could have been the pain meds or the pain itself. Just hang in there, the next couple of days will be so much better, I promise!

Thank you, wanna! I do think it was the pain meds that made me vomit. I've been using my incentive spirometer religiously since surgery.

Day four here, I also have the painful side but it's manageable.

I have not vomited, but did feel nauseated and had the urge to vomit a few times a day the first three days, I realized I was not taking my pain meds. with a "meal", so I started taking them with a few sips of my Protein Drink and it's been fine since then.

I finally felt hungry last night, it took me a while to identify it though because there is so much stuff going on in my stomach, pain, discomfort, burning...so at 3a.m. I had my husband make me a half cup of chocolate Protein, and my tummy was very happy.

Sissy: my belly is like clockwork. Right at that 3-4 hour timeframe, my belly starts grumbling and growling and I know it's time to eat.

I did finally take another dose of Lortab this morning because I was so sore. No nausea!

Today I woke up sore' date=' but able to move around, slowly. I haven't taken pain meds since yesterday afternoon. I feel like my port site is rock hard. When I drink sips, I can feel it gliding down, and it kinda burns down my back like heartburn. I'm tolerating more fluids so far today. I did have an episode of vomiting yesterday morning. When I breath in, my muscles are sore, like when you are sick and coughing a lot.

I feel like a lot of people say they are feeling good by now and I seem to be healing slower. Are these normal sensations for this timeframe? Should I be worried that I threw up that one time?

ETA: I'm burping....a lot![/quote']

This is my 5th day post op I feel I have no restrictions and can drink as much as I want but I'm still having pain been eating Soup and mashed potatoes, just wondering if anyone else is experienceing this?

Hi,

I was really sore for a week or so...My body started to make noises that seemed unnatural and really loud, my port site was sore as hell for about two weeks (I am a side sleeper) but, the good news is just keep moving and all the gas will work its way out and you will feel better ever passing day.....PS Hang in there it is totally worth it, trust me!!!! :)

Warmest Regards,

Lisa

You are normal.

tmf

Day 3 for me too. The gas pressure has been KILLER!! Only a little pain around my inisions, they feel like bad bruises. I've been staying on my pain meds every 4-5 hours though. I did have quite a bit of nausea yesterday and had to take something for it. I've only been drinking b/c I know I have to. Haven't really been hungry yet b/c so uncomfortable w/ all the gas pressure. Biggest (unexpected) complaint is continued dry mouth. I can't seem to hydrate enough and there's a morning breath taste most of the day - I brush my teeth 4x a day now.

Overall, I'm doing ok. Just tired A LOT.

Hope you all continue getting better!!

Day 3 for me too. The gas pressure has been KILLER!! Only a little pain around my inisions, they feel like bad bruises. I've been staying on my pain meds every 4-5 hours though. I did have quite a bit of nausea yesterday and had to take something for it. I've only been drinking b/c I know I have to. Haven't really been hungry yet b/c so uncomfortable w/ all the gas pressure. Biggest (unexpected) complaint is continued dry mouth. I can't seem to hydrate enough and there's a morning breath taste most of the day - I brush my teeth 4x a day now.

Overall, I'm doing ok. Just tired A LOT.

Hope you all continue getting better!!

I am post op day 2 and I wish I could burp.

Right now I feel so full I can hardly get any Water down. I have had a little chicken broth down but that is it. I feel really bloated in my stomach but I am down from my surgery weight.. I just want to feel better soon.

I did not take perscription meds once I got home. I handled the pain with store brand liquid tylenol. When you take pain meds it can mess up your digestive system. Your throat pain could be due to the tubing that was put down your throat during surgery.

You all sound pretty normal to me. Remeber that healing is a process. Some days you will feel better than others. In fact, some hours you will feel better. Wlk as much as you can. Drink your Clear Liquids slowly, sip, sip, sip.

Upchucking a little is pretty normal, at least for me. I am allergic to certain anesthetics,so until I knew that, after surgery, I upchuck, too! In my case, it is just not being able to tolerate whateever was in the anesthetic. But, if you drink to quickly, or try take in teh wrong thing, considering that your stomach is swollen, you will vomit. Take cae, and welcome to a Banded life!!!Karen

You all sound pretty normal to me. Remeber that healing is a process. Some days you will feel better than others. In fact, some hours you will feel better. Walk as much as you can. Drink your clear liquids slowly, sip, sip, sip.

Upchucking a little is pretty normal, at least for me. I am allergic to certain anesthetics,so until I knew that, after surgery, I upchuck, too! In my case, it is just not being able to tolerate whatever was in the anesthetic. But, if you drink to quickly, or try take in the wrong thing, considering that your stomach is swollen, you will vomit. Take care, and welcome to a Banded life!!!Karen