Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As I approach week three of being banded I can't help but feel as if I'm feeling a little blue. I don't know why I would feel this way, I have no complaints or regrets regarding getting banded, my new diet..etc

Thoughts?

i am working on week 3 also. i am sad bc i cant eat what my hub eats or anyone else (here at work).

i miss that. i hope it gets better. i read on here people can eat whatever but in moderation and Portion Control.< /p>

i think that is my biggest gripe thus far (maybe because i am a volumn eater) the more the merrier you know.

what are you blue about?

I will not be banded until next week but I am already starting to feel a bit down. I feel like the people around me don't understand how it feels. I feel like i can't go out socially because I dont want to be tempted so I feel alone. I know this is only temporary and once I make the adjustment and recover things can start to go back to normal.... minus all the food and weight!

At first i would get a little blue because i couldnt eat things i love or what everyone else was eating BUT when the weight started coming off i started feeling power from making wise choices . Going out with friends was kinda a reward to myself i loved people saying wow you look awsome and then when it was time to order and i was eating my food they were like wow i wish i could do that . So turn it around yall make it a positive thing take it to a good place inside of yourself and use it as motivation :) Look around at what the others are scarfing down and think to yourself not ":( i cant eat like that or i cant eat that ") but thank god i cant eat that anymore and for that im becoming the healthy person i set out to be .

I'm not blue about eating or going out. I still go out and I have no problem cutting out the sweets, the soda, the fatty foods. I'm doing good about that. It's just an overall sense of sadness/blue/depression. I've NEVER felt this way before. I wonder if its because I'm lacking something in nutrition or something. I log all my food...I'm getting all my Vitamins and minerals...*shrugs*

Difa- Truly it is worth it. For me, although I avoided most of the blues, I did have to get over being bummed that I didn't wake up from the surgery 50 lbs thinner. It's kind of a let down- the preparing, both with appointments and mentally- and then- voila- it's over! Now what? But now- it's the retraining yourself, your "head hunger" your eating habits. Just focus on the positive- but allow yourself to feel what you feel- maybe a journal to write out your feelings and explore....I do think these blusy feelings are normal.

Carolina girl- We got fat because we focus too much on food! Go out socially- just focus on the company, find something you can eat that is easy but don't make that the focus. Try to remember why you did this in the first place- you'll be healthy and fit, and HOT too, LOL.

TXgirl- it is temporary- it becomes easier to not make social events all about what food you're going to eat, etc. I used to wake up and think about what I'd have for lunch, dinner, treats, etc- now I think about what I put into my mouth, what exercise I'm going to do, the good book I'm reading, playing with my kids, wearing a "real" swimsuit for the first time in I can't tell you how long....I eat because it's fuel, and I eat things that taste good to me that are low in calories, high protein- but it's not my focus.

It's normal to feel the blues- this is a BIG change, and it affects a lot of things in life.

Oh also, Difa- how's your Vitamin D? If you're low in that it can affect your mood.

I'll get my Vitamin D checked out. Eating bad foods isnt an issue for myself. I'm not currently losing any weight..I'm fine with that. i wont get my first fill until July 20th. I really dont have head hunger either. I can sit next to anyone eating a greasy cheese burger and it doesnt bother me. My mood just plain sucks...I've very sad for no apparent reason. I'll check out my vitamin d levels.

Getting the band is about physical and emotional/psychological adjustments...some people actually go through somewhat of a "mourning" process as they adjust their thinking about food, and have to say "good bye" to it as they initially change their relationship with food. In addition, there are many physical changes we go through...hormones are adjusting, metabolism is adjusting, so many changes that feeling "down" is not uncommon. And the physiological basis for depression is really in imbalance of the neurotransmitters in the brain. No wonder they can get out of balance temporarily with everything that's going on.

The key is that this is temporary as you adjust to your new sense of "normal". These feelings should resolve within a few weeks. If they don't, consider speaking with your surgeon. Oh, and exercise promotes the serotonin and dopamine in the brain...so continue to something active as tolerated, within reason!

For me, it was like losing a part of myself. Before being banded, my addiction to food was comforting. Deep down inside I wondered if I would be able to change my bad habits. So, I gradually let go of the girl that ate so much junk and failed at so many attempts to lose weight. I was a little sad and very overwhelmed. So, my body began to change, but my mind was almost the same as it had been for years leading up to the decision to have lap band surgery.

With time (lots of time) I began to see a new person. With my band half full, the weightloss began to pick up. Every time the scale would go down I was amazed. Sometimes I would get back on it, just to make sure it was working right, ha. I feel like I never really lost myself. It is more like I found myself underneath all that food and weight.

It has not been easy. I am very careful about what I DO need now. I get my rest, take my Vitamins, have a lot of Protein and exercise 30 minutes, five days a week. Not only do I look better, I feel better and that makes me happy. I would say give it a little time. If you find yourself slipping into depression, call your doctor. You deserve to be happy.

wow, we have some smart Cookies on this forum, dont we ? Everybody said pretty much everything i was going to say. All i have to say about depression is, " been there, done that, it ain't pretty!" If it doesnt clear up see your Dr asap ! Life is too short to be depressed ! Exercise, healthy foods and a product called "Plus" by Mannatech helped me immensley. (Mannatech.com) Also after awhile you will start seeing your clothes get looser and looser, which is a huge mood booster ! Good luck to you !

As I approach week three of being banded I can't help but feel as if I'm feeling a little blue. I don't know why I would feel this way, I have no complaints or regrets regarding getting banded, my new diet..etc

Thoughts?

yep... its perfectly normal. for some reason the hormones are affected as well. you have to remember your body has gone through a major surgery ... that can upset the ''applecart'' without anything else. i had the blues for a while also. it wasnt until i was nearly free of pain and discomfort that i started to pull right out of it. when i was able to get over the blues i was on a high for two weeks... lol. better than prozac !! lol. i still get high sometimes, just out of the blue. i think the sheer realisation that im finally not fat an unwell anymore has a lot to do with it?? you too will feel on top of the world really soon. Its quite and adventure. Good luck.