Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I am currently on month 3 of my 6 month supervised diet before scheduling... The more and more I read about LB the more I wonder if it's the right avenue for me. My BMI is currently 36. I have hypertension that is currently controlled with two meds and a family history of diabetes.

I have always been active and spin three times a week but I can not lose weight for anything. I eat right, drink lots of Water. My weight has been pretty much stable my whole life. No big gains no big losses. I have had my thyroid checked, completely normal. I am only 34 and I don't want to be on life long medication starting at such a young age. That is what lead me to look to ways to assist in losing weight. I have no real desire to be "skinny" just healthy. I have tried diets but the moment I feel hungrier than my comfort zone that all goes to hell lol

As a single mom, My life is hectic enough. My main fear is being "defined" by my LB. I don't want every waking moment to be spent thinking about food, chewing, pbing etc. is it possible after LB to just be a regular person who happens to have a LB? I am scared to exchange one set of problems for another. Quality of life is a concern for me. I don't want to ruin it just for weight loss if that makes any sense.

I am at restriction and do not worry about those things. I do remind myself to chew well when I'm eating, but everything else is second nature. I have also not experienced any eliminations of food from my diet, but it's not always a one size fits all approach.

Hi all!

I am currently on month 3 of my 6 month supervised diet before scheduling... The more and more I read about LB the more I wonder if it's the right avenue for me. My BMI is currently 36. I have hypertension that is currently controlled with two meds and a family history of diabetes.

I have always been active and spin three times a week but I can not lose weight for anything. I eat right, drink lots of Water. My weight has been pretty much stable my whole life. No big gains no big losses. I have had my thyroid checked, completely normal. I am only 34 and I don't want to be on life long medication starting at such a young age. That is what lead me to look to ways to assist in losing weight. I have no real desire to be "skinny" just healthy. I have tried diets but the moment I feel hungrier than my comfort zone that all goes to hell lol

As a single mom, My life is hectic enough. My main fear is being "defined" by my LB. I don't want every waking moment to be spent thinking about food, chewing, pbing etc. is it possible after LB to just be a regular person who happens to have a LB? I am scared to exchange one set of problems for another. Quality of life is a concern for me. I don't want to ruin it just for weight loss if that makes any sense.

Its a hard call as your bmi isnt that high, the problem is as with any weight loss surgery u do have to dedicate an amount of time to it to make it work whether u have a sleeve, bypass or a lapband. I dont really worry about my band now and probably stopped thinking about it around 6 - 8 months after it was fitted. My lapband has never impacted on my quality of life except by making it better :)

Hi I also had BMI of 36, active ie gym goer with a very very active job - ER Nurse with gestional diabetes which turned to Type two and HTN that couldn't loose weight and since April I'm down 38 lbs and feel awesome - yes life style changes but only apparent if I share them and really necessary. But every journey is different - this is mine.

i had 4 bp meds prior to my lap band and could not get good control im now off all meds but Vitamin.< /p>

I don't feel the band controls my life. Knock on wood almost two years out no vomitting or PBing. I truely believe a large part of my weight problem is genetic. I have to constantly proactively choose to eat healthy food. Before the band I could go a year or so being super viligent and then eventually I would start eating unhealthy food and larger portions. The band does'nt help me choose healthy food but it does help me eat less food. This is about creating a healthy life style for life.

I would recommend meeting with a psychologist that specializes in eating disorders. My doctor required them and found those sessions to be really helpful. It helped me recognize things that triggered overeating.

These sessions may also help you identify poor eating habits. I used to eat a lot of low/fat free crunchy snacks: chips, crackers, rice cakes; pirates booty. I would have at least 3 open bags in my house at any time. While they were low in fat they were high in calories. Do you have any similar foods habits that may be higher in cals than you think?

Most doctors recommend at least 30 minutes of cardio daily. So while I know you are getting a great work out 3 days a week you probably need to up your days of cardio. Also, on the days you work out do you eat more on those days? Many do since they justify I just burned all those calories I deserve this.

I definitely know my problem with eating is too much of a good thing. I dont eat "bad" but I eat more than the 1200 calories a day I need for weight loss. I know I am not perfect and have things I can change to help lose weight so I am trying everything I can now to see if it will help drop even 5 lbs before I make my decision.

The lapband just seems so scary sometimes. Seems like when its working well its great but the issues that arise when it isnt working... boy oh boy. I would love to think I will be one of the people that will have no problems and its just smooth sailing but when I think of the other side of the coin, I go to the mirror, and say well its not like Im not cute now ;)

I am trying to fit in two more days of working out in my schedule. Its hard because I work two jobs also but whats money if I stroke out from my HTN. I am actually taking a little time off my part time job so that I have more time to sleep and work out, but I cant take too much time off because I need that second income...

I will continue on my supervised diet because its the last thing I need to complete and research research research.. Lets just pray my fingernails survive all the nail biting :) :) :)

You have basically taken all the words out of my mouth that I wanted to say as well. I am feeling the exact same way you are and you can read My Story in my profile and you will see that it sound like we are similiar (minus the single mother). Nonetheless, I did go to the seminar, went to the consultation and booked the banding for September 18th. I am anxious, excited, nervous, emotional and being that this is a couple of month away, I can only hope I don't stay like this or I will develop an ulcer to boot! Anyway, I totally hear what you are saying and can truly relate, as scared as I am, I know I want to live a healthier lifestyle and not worry about diabetes or existing hereditary conditions. The Q&A on here have been extremely helpful and the weight loss updates from people are incredibly inspiring. Good luck in your decision! :)

Another thing to remember is that when someone is having a bad time they are more likely to post about those problems. People that are doing well may stop visiting this site all together. Yes, it's important to look at the good and bad. For me I knew I needed help. I had a stroke at 39. That's pretty scary stuff.

Unfortunately, nobody can answer that question except you...and you still may not know until after you are banded. The band does not work for everyone. My band never took away the desire to eat or the hunger...which it should do if it is affecting the vagus nerve properly. The only time my band controlled my intake was when it was so tight I couldn't eat...which is not the proper use of the band, obviously. It still came down to my own self-control and a daily struggle to not give in to temptation...in which case, the band was doing no better than I was doing without it.

Some people choose the band because it is promoted as least invasive and with no lasting side effects. This isn't quite true for everyone either. I had my band out a year and a half after it was put in and am still dealing with some of the 'side effects'. The upper left arm pain caused by the band rubbing against my diaphragm is mostly gone, but sometimes it reappears. My surgeon said it is most likely from scar tissue now rubbing on my diaphragm when I am position in certain ways. I also have to still be careful about swallowing cold drinks as they tend to just stop and get stuck (much like any drink did when I was banded). After doing some tests, it was discovered that the band had permanently reshaped the area where it sat and it is narrower. When I drink something cold, it constricts (sort of spasms) causing an even narrower opening.

I'm not telling you all this to scare you off. Many have the band and it does well by them...but you should have *all* the facts (even the negative) before you go into it. As WLS go, it is probably the least invasive, but it may very possibly have lasting side effects.

Hi Elfie - nice to see you posting. Didn't realise you still had issues even sine your band had been removed, that sucks :(