Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Normal?... Or Am I A Total Fatty

I am two weeks post op and I feel like I can eat more than I should be able to? Quantity wise. I read on here that someone else who is 2 weeks post opt ate half of a hard boiled egg and was full? for dinner the other night I had 5 hard boiled eggs? ... to fill me up. For dinner. Is there something wrong with me? My band is empty and I will not have a fill until July 16th... I just don't want to start out on the wrong foot. I am making pretty good choices in the types of food I eat and I'm pretty much sticking to my doctors orders as far as what foods I can eat. I know I'm not getting the 64oz of Water I need, so that could be the issue? I'm trying and I constantly have a bottle of water on my desk or near me wherever I may be but I've never been much of a drinker. Just wanted to clarify and see if I was on a slippery slope towards screwing something up or if I'm kind of headed in the right direction. :/

This is the hard part, being on a halfway normal diet without restriction. This is the part that you have to use your new willpower and white-knuckle it. Measure your portions. Protein first, Veggies and fruit after that. Water really does help keep your hunger satisfied. I'm not saying what you did with the eggs is wrong, but I wouldn't even consider eating five right now (I'm 5 weeks post-op, just transitioned into soft food last week but got a fill yesterday so I'm back on liquids). Controlling the quantity is just as big of challenge as chosing the right foods.

This is what people call "bandster hell" and as the above poster mentioned, you'll have to be white knuckling it 100%.

I was staaaarving after surgery. All of the time. My surgeon said I wouldn't be hungry for a week or so after surgery, but the very next day, my tummy was screaming at me to eat something. It was weird.

Water does help though. A lot of the time, you're not actually hungry, you just need Water. I've noticed that if you hold your water in a larger container (I have a 56ounce bottle) you drink more. I drink two of those a day, and it seems so much easier filling that twice, rather than filling a water bottle 7 or 8 times.

I think you are doing just fine actually. I have suggested to others that they focus on eating the right foods and Portion Control will come with restriction. Right now, with no fill it's pretty much like your not banded. It will get better!

I agree with VLP, I am glad you have chosen eggs. a big part of the change I have experienced is making good choices. I still occasionally eat more than I should but my choices are soooooo much better.

my brain goes right to Protein now, what can I eat that will add to the total Protein for the day!!

Water has helped me a lot, I have a bottle that is 32 oz., I try to keep refilling it all day. and when I think I am hungry I drink some Water 1st, just to be sure. My brain still plays the "false hungry" game with me, I've got to be careful.

The first 4 mths after my band was placed, I could eat whatever and however much I wanted. And I did. I thought I had failed yet another diet. Then, my 3rd fill kicked in - like magic. You're empty right now so the band is doing nothing for you. Thats my #1 tip for new banders - have patience. I promise, just like I did, when you finally get restriction, you'll eat as much as a toddler.

I've had my band for 2 1/2 yrs now and I was unfilled last month due to a slip. When I went back in last week, he decided to fill me up slowly, going 1cc at a time. I'm starving all the time. And I've gained 5 lbs. I know I need to eat healthier and make better choice, that was the beauty of the band - I could eat whatever I wanted, just a few bites of it. Now I'm white knuckling it and it sucks. I've gotten rid of all my jumbo clothes so I can't gain weight. I just need more self control. I love my band and I want it back!

Anyway, to answer your questions: You're perfectly normal. You're in "Bandster Hell" and will be there until probably the 2nd - 4th fill. Some lucky people (very few) never get a fill and their band works from day 1. Obviously you're not one of those. Just know that it will kick in eventually and have patience! It WILL happen

Marci

It is normal. I am 10 weeks post op with NO RESTRICTION and my will power is fading. Hang in there and continue to make healthy choices. Some day we will get to the "sweet spot".

Me too, got banded two months ago and I have little restriction. I'm hoping my third fill in a couple weeks helps because im beginning to think my inner fatty's hunger will never be squelched.

Maybe we should all check back in three months?

I was hungry after four days post-op, so it's completely normal. Just remember to make good choices and if you need to, use a food scale to portion out your food.

You are in Bandster Hell and you are hungry. My question for you is are you supposed to be on solids? I was not allowed solids until week 5. I will say you should weigh your Protein. My doctor says 3 oz. 5 eggs is going to be more than that. Yes this is a white knuckle diet until you get restriction. Also remember each egg has 5-7 g of fat and a lot of cholesterol.

This makes me wonder if my dr puts his patients band in a different place or if he puts some cc's in at the time of surgery because I'm two weeks out and haven't been hungry. 3-4 oz of Soup or chili twice a day and I'm good. I really hope this means I don't have to go through the infamous 'bandster hell'

I am two weeks post op and I feel like I can eat more than I should be able to? Quantity wise. I read on here that someone else who is 2 weeks post opt ate half of a hard boiled egg and was full? for dinner the other night I had 5 hard boiled eggs?... to fill me up. For dinner. Is there something wrong with me? My band is empty and I will not have a fill until July 16th... I just don't want to start out on the wrong foot. I am making pretty good choices in the types of food I eat and I'm pretty much sticking to my doctors orders as far as what foods I can eat. I know I'm not getting the 64oz of Water I need, so that could be the issue? I'm trying and I constantly have a bottle of Water on my desk or near me wherever I may be but I've never been much of a drinker. Just wanted to clarify and see if I was on a slippery slope towards screwing something up or if I'm kind of headed in the right direction. :/

We all heal at a different rate post op...and it's not unusual for you to be hungry with the initial swelling going down. I had some medical complications, and had to wait 14 weeks for my first fill.

I manage my hunger by drinking the free fluids I'm supposed to have everyday. It has helped me enormously to increase my fluids by structuring my time to make certain that before Breakfast I have 12oz, then by lunchtime, I need to have 16 more oz...it helps to stay on track. Until I did that, I had a difficult time remembering to drink anything.

I know how difficult it can be to cope with the hunger, but water and getting distracted with work, a project, or exercise all seem to help me.

Best wishes on your journey...

This makes me wonder if my dr puts his patients band in a different place or if he puts some cc's in at the time of surgery because I'm two weeks out and haven't been hungry. 3-4 oz of Soup or chili twice a day and I'm good. I really hope this means I don't have to go through the infamous 'bandster hell'

Be certain that you are getting enough calories and Protein. If you short yourself on either of these areas, it can actually slow your rate of weight loss!

You are in Bandster Hell and you are hungry. My question for you is are you supposed to be on solids? I was not allowed solids until week 5. I will say you should weigh your Protein. My doctor says 3 oz. 5 eggs is going to be more than that. Yes this is a white knuckle diet until you get restriction. Also remember each egg has 5-7 g of fat and a lot of cholesterol.

I was able to have mushie foods starting week 3 and week four. My doctor considers eggs to be mushie. I was lacking in Protein for the day...kind of forgot about the fat and cholesterol. Thanks for your input! :)

We all heal at a different rate post op...and it's not unusual for you to be hungry with the initial swelling going down. I had some medical complications' date=' and had to wait 14 weeks for my first fill.

I manage my hunger by drinking the free fluids I'm supposed to have everyday. It has helped me enormously to increase my fluids by structuring my time to make certain that before Breakfast I have 12oz, then by lunchtime, I need to have 16 more oz...it helps to stay on track. Until I did that, I had a difficult time remembering to drink anything.

I know how difficult it can be to cope with the hunger, but Water and getting distracted with work, a project, or exercise all seem to help me.

Best wishes on your journey...[/quote']

I always enjoy reading your posts, whether they pertain to me or not... you're very knowledgeable, thank you for your insight, I shall work on getting more fluids in.