Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Total Out Of Pocket For Lapband Surgery Was....

I have finally received all of my EOB's from the insurance company and here is the breakdown of expenses:

Physician (Consult & Pre-op 2 appts) - Total billed $346 & insurance paid $81.25 and I have $70 in copays.

Nutritional counseling (4 appts) - Total billed $405 and insurance allowed and paid $324.

Psychiatry Eval (2 appts) - Total billed $200 and insurance allowed $103 & paid $78 and I have $50 in copays.

Anesthesia - $2,875 billed and insurance allowed and paid $646.40.

Surgeons fees - $2,211 billed and insurance allowed $1,189 and paid $1,039 & I have a $150 surgical copay.

Hospital fees - $23,584.60 billed and insurance allowed $2,029 and paid $1,954 and I have a $75 copay.

I have Federal BCBS Basic plan. My total out of pocket costs to date have been $345. I feel very blessed and fortunate.

~Amanda

Wow, that is awesome!!! You are extremely fortunate and blessed. I had no insurance at the time of surgery, so everything was out of pocket. I wouldn't change a thing though. Definitely worth every penny!

I have federal BCBS also. I think I owed the hospital $146. I owed my surgeon $150. Copays for the psych eval were like $95, and one doctor visit for $20 = total of $411.

Sounds great I have Anthem BCBS I have paid $225 for consult( 1st appt) nothing for blood work then I had my EGD yesturday and had to pay $600.00 I have a health savings plan so as soon as I pay the money is back in my Acct. In 3 business days so I'm very lucky it hasn't affected my budget much and I only have $800 left to reach my total out of pocket expense and I still have the psych visit, nutritionist and surgeon office visit so my actual surgery might cost me nothing :)....

UHC here. I had to pay 135 for Protein Shakes. That's it. I'm three fills in so far. Sooo blessed and I'm very happy I did it.

UHC here. I had to pay 135 for Protein shakes. That's it. I'm three fills in so far. Sooo blessed and I'm very happy I did it.

I also have UHC I hope I have the same experience as you then! You didn't pay nothing out of pocket except for the shakes? ? What did you have to do to get approved?

BMI over 40, letter from doc, and 5yrs weight history.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed here. I am so excited about my surgery, which is on July 2nd. My concern is having to pay my out of pocket cost up front before you can have surgery, or do they just bill you and you can make arrangements then. Any ideas?

My total out of pocket was $400 for psychologist, $300 fee at bariatric office, $772 to doc for surgery & $2294 to hospital for surgery -$ 3,766. A bargain as far as I am concerned.

Okay this is crazy. I just got my eob today. So, I had to pay $300 out of pocket for dietician which includes her services for a year and my mom paid that for me. But like I said, I got my eob today, I think it was just the hospital, but total was over $21,000 and my out of pocket is.......$500! I can hardly contain myself! Like, i said guessing I still have a surgeon bill coming but not feeling too bad about the situation at this point!

Did you have to pay the hospital up front before surgery or did they bill you?

Well I have tricare and their requirements are crazy! The way I see it I'm obese and need help! Just help me already. But no can do. I looked at self pay and the cheapest was 13,000. Well I just don't have that kind of money. So I gave up the thought of getting banded. 2 months later I seen where they opened up a bariatric program here at fort Knox. Hmmm I applied and now have a surgery date of July 10, 2012!!!!;) never give up god always finds a way. 220 lbs good bye!

Well I have tricare and their requirements are crazy! The way I see it I'm obese and need help! Just help me already. But no can do. I looked at self pay and the cheapest was 13' date='000. Well I just don't have that kind of money. So I gave up the thought of getting banded. 2 months later I seen where they opened up a bariatric program here at fort Knox. Hmmm I applied and now have a surgery date of July 10, 2012!!!!;) never give up god always finds a way. 220 lbs good bye![/quote']

Thanks Mrs H I am in the fight of my life right now with the insurance company! Reading your post just helped me to continue trying and not give up! Congratulations on your surgery date! I believe I will have a date soon

My hospital charges $525 and I believe that covers the whole 6-month pre-op program. I work for the hospital, and employees get $700 a year for wellness programs, so I'll get reimbursed once I complete the program. Everything else is covered by insurance... thank God, cuz I'm broke as hell. I guess I'm one of the very few super-lucky ones that will pay $0.

Yes with the program here at fort Knox I will pay zero for everything including all lab work and psyc appointments! Thank god