Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

C-Section Vs. Lap Band Recovery

I have had 2 c-sections and recovered pretty quickly overall. Are they similar? My friend who has lap band but no c-sections seemed to think it was different b/c of the locations of the incisions, etc. Did you need help getting out of the chair for a few days?

for me the lapband recovery was worse than my 3 csections,u feel more fatigued more drained,but thats just my opinion :P

From a physical standpoint, Lap Band surgery isn't nearly as invasive and doesn't require near the recovery time. During a C-section, they're cutting a large incision into your abdominal wall, through your muscle, and into your uterus. Lap-Band is only a few very small laproscopic incisions, most don't even have stitches after.

From a personal standpoint, Lap Band was a cake walk compared to the C-section I had. I was in misery and pain for weeks after my c-section. I was back to my normal routine just 6 days after Lap Band surgery.

I had a c-section 22 years ago, which was called a bikini cut. Honestly I think the Lap band for me was far more painful and the recovery time was longer. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago and for some reason, it seemed a bit easier as well. Maybe my pain tolerance has went down hill, plus the fact that I was 21 when I gave birth and now I am in my 40's, that may play into it to. Who knows. It may be as well that when I gave birth, my son came out and in Lap Band, you gain a foreign object that takes your body time to adapt to. Regardless, the pain was all worth it in the end. 43# down in less that 4 months and counting. Good Luck to you.

I've had two c-sections and for me my lapband recovery was far less pain and less recovery time. I was up and about the same day after surgery. IMO they can't be compared.

I had 5 c-sections and the lapband recovery was worst to me. I needed more help than expected and was down longer. With my sections I was up and about in 2 weeks with this band, at least 6 weeks before I felt normal again.

I had a c-section tha went horribly wrong .I had to have deep wound packing for 3 months afterward .So yea lap band much easier for me :-)

Never had a c-section, but I expected lap band to be very similar to a couple of years ago when I had my gallbladder out. I WAS WRONG!! The incisions for both surgeries were very similar and the pain was very similar. However, I had extreme weakness and fatigue after lap-band that I didn't have after my gallbladder! The pain was a breeze compared to the weakness and fatigue!

Lap band in 2009 and c section in 2010. C section was by far the worst of the 2. I needed more help doing things after the csection. My insicions for the lapband didnt really hurt except for the biggest one where the port was placed.

Lap band was a breeze in comparison. I was carrying my toddler around the next day!

Well from what everyone is saying is.. We are all different and feel pain differently. I had a c-section, gall bladder and lapband. Lapband for me was the easiest. I had no fatigue and was actually energized from it. I think it depends on what drugs they give you and how it affects you. Only problem I had after a week out was the pulling from the port site. But, I was up and going from the time I got home 5 hours after surgery.

I've had two c-sections and I would say that for me the Lap Band surgery was way better pain wise. Both c-sections were painful for about 3 weeks for me. It was hard to bend over, twist, lay down, shower, etc. But with the Lap Band I was completely pain free in 5 days (other than occasional port sensitivity). The pain was completely different, I got extremely bloated from the band for the first few days and had gas pain but both of those were dull pain versus the c-section which felt sharp to me. Plus these smaller incisions with the band heal so much faster (at least mine did). I'm a month out from surgery coming up on Tuesday and for the past two weeks it feels like I never even had the surgery (pain wise). And the only help I needed to get out of a chair was right after the surgery when they made me walk but that's because I was still drowsy.

Much easier than my c-section!! I can get out of my chair all by myself!!!! I'm a big girl!!! LOL :D

My c section recovery was far worse than lapband. I was back at work in under a week for the lapband.

If you are nervous about pain, you should find a doctor who uses the on-Q pain management system for after the surgery. I had that and felt NO Pain and didn't even have to use my pain pill prescription. it is amazing!

Wow, it's so cool to see how everyone has had different experiences! For me Lap Band was easiest.

I have to wonder if weight and age make a difference also. I had my gall bladder out when I was 23 and probably around 180. I had a full open surgery with it and they did not get all the stones so I had to go back a week or so later for an ERCP. After that experience my C-section (at 26 and around 220) was a breeze, although I was upset that none of the nurses had me up and walking before I left the hospital. When I think back on this I can't believe they did not make me walk! I was up walking a few steps the same night I had my gall bladder out even though I was in extreme pain!...Okay time to get back to the topic...

My highest weight last summer was 270. I was down to 199.5 (and 43) the day of my lap band surgery. Maybe it was the knowledge of how to move with incisions from my previous abdominal surgeries that helped but for me the lap band was the easiest. I was also lucky not to have any shoulder pain from the gas they use.