Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why didn't we know ... before surgery?

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that someone would go under the knife to have Lap Band surgery but not do a bit of research beforehand? I can't understand why people do this blindly then have the audacity to ask the thousands of questions they SHOULD have researched before the band was placed.

I risk the chance of being flamed for asking this question but I just had to. It's been bugging the heck out of me for months.

Ok, I'll get off of my soapbox now. :faint:

well I can speak from the side of the fence you are refering to...I did no research, I guess everyone is different...I only went to Dr. Spivaks seminar and Loved him from day one!! So I didnt need to go any further....unfortunatly insurance didnt pay for mine..I did self pay! I did have several people I knew that did the lap band and one cousin that did Gastric Bypass, from the begginning I knew I wanted less invasive and once I talked to both sides I made my decision...but I must say I had been under the knife before and that part didnt bother me....so I dont know if you would call speaking to two friends and one family member research or not, but that is how I went about my decision...I guess everyone has thier own way.....

cynthia

I can see where you are coming from to some extent. I didn't spend months doing research before I got my band, but sometimes there are some 'fundamental' questions asked that make you wonder. But on the other hand, it also makes me wonder how much information a doctor actually gives out before putting someone under the knife, you know? I think they assume sometimes that in the 'age of the internet' people should know more, or something.

For me personally, I'd want to do some amount of research before going under the knife, or taking a drug, or undergoing any kind of medical procedure. However, I do understand that some people are different, and I understand that perhaps some people are so desperate for something, anything that might help them that they grab onto surgery or drugs and want those things sooner rather than later. One of the things I really love about this forum is that there are so many helpful people here who have gone where I want to go, and who are willing and able to share vital information. I hope to be able to do the same for those following behind me.

Pansy

Are they dumb or lazy? hmmmm maybe both, maybe neither.

I did research the band, there was no way I was going to have the procedure without knowing everything (well almost everything, you know what I mean). I was fortunate enough to have a friend recommend this place where I read and read and read (the good, the bad and the ugly, I wanted to know it all).

Some people just don't know where to turn, yes, even this day and age so they go only by what they've learned in the doctor's seminar and/or the one support group meeting your (I) was supposed to attend b/4 surgery.

I don't think I would have had the surgery done if I only went by what my doctor told us in the seminar which was basically, "cut, snip, fill, you'll only eat 3 bites for the rest of your life." WTF ???

Thank God I have you all and I really feel bad for folks who have had the surgery not knowing what to expect afterwards.

For those of us who are "wired" into the WWW, not knowing isn't an option. But for many people, research into a medical procedure is still a foreign concept. Doctors are authority figures and if they recommend something it's a done deal, and their instructions--however hazy they may be--are followed. I don't think it's dumbness or laziness, just a different mind-set.

If anything it says something negative about the doctors who aren't giving their patients enough information. THAT concerns me. There are enormous numbers of people who could benefit from banding surgery and unfortunately that translates into huge dollar signs. That leads to the revolving door syndrome and a lot of patients who weren't given enough time up front. And in countries with nationalized health care, there may also be little incentive for doctors to spend a lot of time educating their patients. Some do, of course--the good ones--but some will not.

It does scare me how many folks are cut on & sent home with little to no information. Thank goodness so many end up here!

I know if it was recommended to my mom (or most of my aunts or uncles), they would listen to their doctor and never think to check the web. My mom still reads the instruction sheet I made her on how to send email, hehe. A board would just be beyond her.

I'm personally amazed at how many people out there haven't heard of lap-band at all. I know it's a trick of personal interest, but it seems I see billboards & advertisements for it everywhere. How could they have missed them all?!

I do personally need to thank LBT... ya'll were a GREAT source of info for me. I walked into first appointment feeling like the most informed patient out there! (Our doctor must dread people like us! LOL)

I know from my own very recent experiences that there's a difference between what you think you know going in, and what you know after the fact. I researched, for a few years. Heck, I was here for half a year just asking questions. I thought I knew what I was doing, going into this, but I just had my surgery yesterday and I'm already lost, and already feel like I know nothing. If I asked the questions I have right now, I'd probably look like someone who didn't do any research, either. *shrug*

However, if there are people out there who truly fif no research, then it's shame on them. IMO this isn't something to be impetuous about, and I'm always taken aback when I read posts about someone is just starting tot hink about it, and their surgeon had a cancellation and can get to them in X days... this is something I would hate for anyone to rush into uneducated, unprepared, and unarmed. I mean -- look at all the research I did, and I feel completely lost... I can't imagine how much worse off I'd be if I hadn't spent any time researching.

Tricia,

It's not a dumb question.

I have been saying the same thing. Most people look at me strange when I do or ignore my post (not here, on other forums).

I researched this for a year. I mean it's not a diet, it's not signing up for the latest expensive diet or health club, it's FREAKING WLS SURGERY!:confused:

I went to another surgeon's (not the one I chose) support meeting and the POST OP banders in there had no idea of some of the issues, complications and information I was bringing up. I WAS SHOCKED. I'm talking even simple stuff like what a band looks like, what kind of bands, slips, erosions, etc.

One woman was existing on ice cream and couldn't lose weight and some guy just drank protien drinks and came in to see the surgeon maybe once a year.

Amazing.

The only thing I can think of is that people get so desperate they don't care? I don't know. But the people who are very uneducated about this surgery and how to live with it like Ice cream Lady and Protien Drink Man may hurt themselves or their progress in the long run.

I'm not referring to any specific group of people (wired/unwired), but people in general. Even those that don't have access to a computer and its vast resources, I just can't understand why they wouldn't ask questions of their doctor, read as much printed literature as they could, and attend as many support/seminar groups as possible before going under the knife. Having blind faith is so hard for me to comprehend. Like others that have posted in this thread, I wanted to know everything there was to know before getting this surgery.

And Wheetsin, your situation may be unique. You did your research and still have questions.

Hmmm…makes me wonder if I have asked something really stupid lately. Yipes! I feel my paranoia setting in.... :embarassed:

No worries. I'm half kidding and not offended. But we are ALL very different in a lot more ways than how we view WLS. Trying to understand why some do tons of research and some don't is like trying to figure out why some folks are good in math and others in history. There are a lot of good theories on it, but it still seems like the best we can do is guess and try not to judge one as inherently better than the other.

Hi,

I know for me, I did do tons of research on the band, and I thought I had read everything there was to read and that I knew most of what there was to know. But, now having actually been banded, I do find myself with LOTS of questions, mostly focussing on how long people's recovery was since mine sucks so bad. I do try to do searches on the board, and if I find my answer, I don't post, but sometimes, I just don't find what I'm looking for on an older thread, or sometimes, it just helps to get reassurance.

Trish, you have to factor in desperation. I researched by default since I followed a dentist (my Band mentor) who did all the legwork and got the band before me. Then I was forced to the mandatory seminar.

But honestly, I wasn't even alive back then and would have traded everything I owned for magic Beans if I saw they worked on a dentist.

I was over 300 lb. and I've been overweight since I'm 9...so I did NO research. The only research I did was I went to the seminar and I found out that it was safer then the gastric bypass which I already knew. My cousin had the gastric bypass and he lost 150 lbs in a year, which can't be good for you. All I know is that I'm very happy with my band and I've already lost 25 lb. No hard feelings but don't assume that everyone is like you, everyone is different. :biggrin1: