Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh My Goodness!!! I Suck!!

So I am one week off banding, and technically still on a liquid only diet... But yeah, I have been craving pizza like mad since I started my pre-op diet 3 weeks ago... So was making a t.v. dinner (pizza w/ pudding) and I had a temporary episode of insanity...

I shoved that pizza down my throat faster than you can imagine!! I'm serious, like 5 seconds tops!

Now I feel so guilty!! And it makes me wonder if I am going to be able to do this!! It is supposed to be a new chance a new me!! And I can't even go 1 week without losing it and cheating!

Also, I kinda thought I would feel crapy from it, but I don't!! Is that supposed to be the case?? Cause doesn't that show the band isn't working??

If you haven't had a fill yet, you may be able to handle pizza, but I know for me, since I've had fills I cannot handle anything like that. I would be concerned about that, sure, but I would be more concerned about you actually eating it and the emotional impacts it would take on you. You decided to have the surgery so that you could be healthier and live a healthy life. Giving in this early in the game is not a good idea. All you can do from here is move on and remember why you were banded. Pizza or any other bad food is NOT worth it. Just stay focused and work on making yourself healthy. I would mention it to your doctor though. Best of luck to you!

I had my surgery on 3/29 and I know exactly what you mean. I lost 20 pounds thus far and just made it to the soft foods and I want to eat everything in site. I am scared that I'm not going to be able to do this and need my first fill ASAP!!!! I went to a wedding yesterday and had a small plate of a scoop of lasagna, chicken Pasta, salad, mozzarella stick, cake, and balsamic salmon. I know good and well that even though it was smaller portions I should not have been eating that.....ughhhh. I'm knew this was going to be hard, but I didnt expect this. I'm sorry you are going through this as well. I will pray that we both make it. Good luck!!

Im glad to hear that Im not the only one wanting to eat like crazy. I got banded 3/28 and it seems Im able to eat anytype of food without a problem. I get my 1st fill in 2 weeks and I hope that starts to curve my appitite.

The few weeks after banding is about healing that is why you need to adhere to what the diet is you have been told to follow. The stomach cannot heal if it has to cope with eating solid food too early. If you dont follow the rules you risk all that you have been through for a moment of pleasure.. is it really worth it ? the simple way to get through this time is to not have such foods in the house .. unless you have enough willpower to ignore the junk food then remove the temptation.

Many people dont feel restriction till their 3rd or 4th fill u may have some time to go yet to start really feeling the band so u need to work out some strategies for getting through this time till then so you dont end up putting on a lot of weight ... you should discuss with your doctor the way you are feeling and any deviation from the rules he/she gave you ...

I agree with the above poster. Who says u can never have pizza again? If I thought I could never have something I loved again, I'd prob scarf a bunch down in desperation! I know u r hungry (they don't call it banister hell for nothin) but U CAN DO THIS!!!! Drink Water when u are starving. If it doesn't help....drink water hehe. The more u drink the less hungry u will feel. I am a night eater so I have this chant, "nothing I do not eat tonight will I regret tomorrow". I say that to myself a LOT while chugging water!! Seriously, we can do this!! Message me anytime u need encouragement! My email is cricketandoak@yahoo.com. Anyone feel free to email me. I'm a good cheerleader!! WE CAN DO THIS!! Piece of ff/sf cake with no icing!!

Good chant, Mandagay! I will be repeating it all day, everyday! I'm a month out and want to eat and eat and eat......

Life happens...you just have to get back on track..this is for life, and in life I plan to eat pizza, and drink cosmos..but..not as much, and maybe I will get to such a healthy weight that a healthy mind will come with it, that I may choose more wiser, but right now...I am in training...You can do it!

What's done is done. Those of you eating solids STOP! Your doctor told you to eat liquids, mushies for a reason. As to eating pizza. I am at restriction and can eat thin crust pizza. I just don't make it a habit. If I am in a situation usually out with family where pizza is my only option (maybe once a quarter) I eat it.

I TOTALLY understand how you feel. But you CAN do it, and you do NOT suck! I know LL ABOUT that kind of negative self-talk, and it does nothing but derail you from your real goals. I was able to eat mostly what I wanted all the way up until my second fill, and I actually had gained 3 pounds back at that appointment, and was SO discouraged. :( After that fill, however, things changed drastically. I am not QUITE sure if I have found my sweet spot, in fact, I may be a bit too tight right now, but my weight loss turned around and I am now 26 pounds down, 4 months out from surgery. Just keep trying to think positive and be a little patient while your body/mind figure things out. <3

As far as pizza, I tried a slice after my last fill, and it was the worst mistake I ever made. :( I actually got so stuck I ended up vomiting for the first time. I know in time I may try pizza again, maybe thin crust/half cheese this time, but for now, even THINKING about pizza makes me feel sick lol.

OK - I am 9 months post op and I LOVE PIZZA..I can't eat it anymore though. Don't beat yourself up because you scarffed down a slice but do remember that it is not good for your band. When I get that pizza urge and I do get that urge - I eat the topping and throw the crust away (or give it to the dog). I still enjoy the flavor but not the getting stuck part...Yes, in the future, pizza will get stuck and then while everyone else is enjoying their pizza, you are outside barffing in the bushes. Voice of experience....The band does not cure cravings and desires it just makes it harder (if not impossible) to enjoy those desires. The band is not easy and if anyone told you that it is -----well, they did not tell you the truth. I have lost 92 pounds and I don't miss one pound of it (30 more to go)..so If I can't enjoy pizza or a milkshake or a bag of Bar B Que chips - well, so be it..at least I won't die from being fat. Hang in there and be good to yourself. You will soon find stuff you will love and that will be your new indulgence. Good luck Idaho Jenn...Keep us posted on your progress. Melinda in Florida

Im 7 months out and can eat anything, including pizza, i have had 4 fills, and i think one more would take me to that green zone. The only trouble i have is with chinese food rice. But if you take tiny bites, and chew and chew, you should be able to eat anything. Before surgery i would eat 2-3 pieces of pizza, fries, and anything else that was in front of me. Now i can finish 1 piece (but no crust), but it does take me about 30 mins to do so. Early stages are about healing, and preparing yourself mentally for the life change that will be taking place with the weight loss. Dont beat yourself up over a tv dinner pizza (didnt even know they made those lol). You will have plenty of time to eat real foods. Take your time right now and follow your Dr.s orders. You will be fine. good luck!