Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Months And Still Struggling...

I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated. I did expect the band to make things easier. I don't know was that too much to expect? I'm still hungry all the time. I eat less at meals but I don't stay full. I joined weight watchers last month and have lost 8 lbs or so. I went for my full appt and she said since my weight loss had been so good lately she didn't want to fill me. I have 9 in an 11. Now I'm bummed I didn't insist.

Should I be so tight that I can't eat bread and rice etc? Bc I can def eat everything. I just don't understand how people have lost 50 plus lbs. I'm hanging in there but losing hope.

Any words of encouragement are appreciated :)

My dr didn't want to fill me because I am losing at a good rate. I told him its not the band, im totally white knuckling it and need help! If u aren't staying full 3-4 hrs then u need another fill. I would try to insist if I were u telling her u r not staying full and are losing weight only because u have an Iron will! Hopefully she will give u a fill.

Hello there. I know where you are coming from. I am 14 months out and thought my hunger would have been better controlled too. I am hoping this fill from this past week will do it. I can still eat bread, rice, Pasta. My dr thought I was filled to the limit too, so she ordered an upper GI. I am happy that showed that I could get another fill. Maybe you should request the exam as well.

What has helped me lately is eating a 4th meal now. I have it around 10:30ish and then have lunch around 2. I also journal my food intake. I have been eating about 1300 calories a day which is more than I would really like to be at for the day. For the first year I kept it to about 1000 a day and it has just been so much harder lately. Hang in there, I wish you luck!

I can understand where u r coming from. I was banded 10/11 and i JUST got to my sweet spot i have 5.3cc in my 10cc band. No i cannot eat rice Pasta bread even toasted most meats r too fiberous for me i eat tons of Beans and veggies salads an such i also have an organic homemade smoothy every day.

Sorry btw dont give up!! It takes some time to get adjusted just right. It took 5!!! Fills for me to get here an 6 months

I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated. I did expect the band to make things easier. I don't know was that too much to expect? I'm still hungry all the time. I eat less at meals but I don't stay full. I joined weight watchers last month and have lost 8 lbs or so. I went for my full appt and she said since my weight loss had been so good lately she didn't want to fill me. I have 9 in an 11. Now I'm bummed I didn't insist.

Should I be so tight that I can't eat bread and rice etc? Bc I can def eat everything. I just don't understand how people have lost 50 plus lbs. I'm hanging in there but losing hope.

Any words of encouragement are appreciated :)

My doctor does not believe the band should stop you from eating certain foods. I am at restriction and can eat bread Pasta or rice. I choose not to. Are you eating to many white carbs? If so cut them out.

My doctor does not believe the band should stop you from eating certain foods. I am at restriction and can eat bread Pasta or rice. I choose not to. Are you eating to many white carbs? If so cut them out.

There seems to be a wide variation in surgeon instructions. With my doctor, and the dietitian on his staff, patients are to avoid all "white carbs" and to the greatest extent possible all processed foods.

I choose to keep things as simple as I can; cut up fresh fruit, steamed veggies and salad greens for carbs, and roasted chicken and broiled fish with lemon juice. Bland, yet not boring, because I use seasonings to make things different when I get bored.

I was also advised that I needed to wait until 6 months post op to try any rice or Pasta, and then only brown rice or whole grain pasta.

Good luck!

You are so right that doctors have so many different opinions. I asked my doctor the same questions and she said they DO NOT want you to be so tight you cannot eat certain foods, just in small quantities because those white foods elevate your blood surgars (high in starch and calories). I stick to green veges with chicken or seafood mostly for dinner but I did have a few ounces of beef pot roast with less than 1/2 cup roasted potatoes and carrots once night for dinner. The meat was so tender and moist from the crock pot that it wasn't a problem, I just couldn't eat very much of it and that was fine. My last fill took me to 6 cc in a 10 cc band and my appetite seems pretty well satisfied on small amounts of food. I think you just have to experiment and figure out what works for you. I questioned so many things about why I wasn't more uncomfortable or pbing or other things I hear here. Again, I think it is a difference of approach but I have lost 11 lbs each of the last 3 months so I guess I am there!

if you are uncomfortable and pb'ing, throwing up and cant eat certain foods, then you are either A too tight or B eating too fast. the band should not restrict what foods you eat, it should help restrict how much food you eat. the band is no about restriction, it is a tool to help control the amount of intake you need to be satisfied.

i can eat bread, rice , Pasta but it depends on when and how I eat it. in the morning I am too tight to eat much of anything so I opt for soft foods like oatmeal or scrambled egg. in the afternoon and night i can eat breads but small bites and chew well, if i eat fast and dont chew i get stuck. that is not the bands fault, it is my own for eating too big a bite too fast.

my surgeon says no foods are off limits, he says not to count calories, fat grams or any other part of the food, he says eat until you are full 3 times a day and stop. he says no liquids for meals, no liquids as meals and do not drink for 30 minutes after a meal. if i follow these rules i lose very slowly about half a pound a week, i started exercising the past 3 weeks and I have lost about 6 lbs but have no changed my eating habits. I think we all have to experiment and find what works for us, but I dont want to count calories and fat and all that, too much like a diet. I want to eat what I want but less portions and so what if I lose weight slower, Im still losing. if you are losing weight you should be proud of yourself and not focus on how much you have not lost yet, just focus on what you have lost and how much better your life is now. good luck to you all

HEy,,

I am also frustrated!! I feel your pain..I had the surgery in aug 2011.. I have only llost 39 lbs! very aggravating. I am also hungry and can eat ANYTHING! I am going next week for the md to evaluate me and possibly get a fill. GOOD Luck and don't give up!! you can do it!

I was frustrated too, but my last fill must have done it for me for now. I have had 5 fills and I have 7 cc in a 10 cc band I have lost 49 since August 29th. I have Greek yogurt or a Protein Shake for Breakfast because I am too tight to eat solid foods in the morning. My doctor and nutritionist tells me to stay away from Pasta, bread, and rice. There are some days that I can't even eat lunch that is solid others I am fine to eat solids I asked my doc about that at the last appointment I had he said that it was typical to have tighter days than the others. I make sure I eat a lot of Protein and I do not really pay attention to the rest I just eat until I am full. Don't give up, I was about to before I got my last fill and my doc said we just started this journey don't give up on me already! You will get there!! :)

thanks for the words of encouragement! I only have 4cc in the 10cc band.. I am going to ask for a fill next week. Will keep you posted! :)

B)

I agree with some of the other posts, the band should not limit what u eat, just how much of it u eat. You should be able to eat any foods without much issue. Most Dr.s and dieticians will tell you to stay away from carbs even if u dont have the band! I am almost 8 months out and down 70 lbs. I am not on a diet, i donot weigh or measure my food, i do chart or track calories. I eat the same way i did before surgery, just in much much smaller amounts. The only difference is i walk 45 mins everyday, where as before surgery, i was lucky if i walked 45 in total for the week. Try not to stress or overthink everthing, go about your day and remember move more and eat less and you will be successful.

You lost 8 lbs last month! That is great, keep it up. If you are getting hungry between meals I would ask them for a small fill. Wish you luck!