Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Your Advice To Figure This Out...

I am a week away from 3 months post LB surgery. I have lost 32 lbs in that time. Sounds good but truthfully 25 was lost the first 6 weeks and it has been slow going since then. I knew I had to be patient until I had some fills. I had my third fill about a week ago and am now 5.5 in a 10 cc band. I know there is some sense of restriction. At least until the evening, its not really difficult to stay focused on smaller meals. I had one episode a couple days ago where I went too long between meals, was really hungry and brought home a rotisserie chicken for dinner. While I was setting things up, I took a bite of the chicken wing and I know I didn't chew it well enough and I had my first stuck episode and up came the chicken. So obviously there is some restriction. However, as I read other people's posts here, I see people saying things like restriction is being afraid to swallow food, or they can only eat one egg or other very small amounts. One person told me they can only eat 4 tablespoons of food, the 5th will cause them to vomit. My doctor tells me I should be able to eat about a cup of food 4 times a day. Can you see the differences in stories I am seeing. I basically can eat anything if I chew it well enough. bread doesn't bother me, but I couldn't eat a whole sandwich and I don't have more than the occasionaly half an english muffin. I am wondering if I need just a little more fill to be as restricted as I hear some people talking about or should I just keep going. I am not complaining, only trying to understand what I should be shooting for. Thanks for any advice or experience you are willing to share.

Wish I could help but I'm kinda where you are. I have my 3rd fill on Tuesday and hoping it will really restrict me.

as they say often, everyone's body is different, I know I was eating well, staying within the 1/2 cup but feeling full and with energy, this past week I was the same way take a few bites and the body wouldn't let me take anymore. I've done the same thing that I have let myself get hungry and I take a bite and honestly forget to chew. Been doing alot of Peanut Butter lately. And i might as well put a depends on as much as I go to the bathroom. If I don't drink enough Im in the bathroom, if I do drink all of water/liquids Im in the bathroom, (sigh) some of the things we have to get through.

You are not alone, and as many say, if you need to, start all over. better slower than fast.

Please realize that restriction is NOT preventing you to eat and swallow. It is meant to make you satisfied on smaller amounts of food for longer periods of time. The last thing you want to do is throw up after five bites of food. That is too tight and vomiting frequently can cause a slip. I have 7.6 in my 10cc band so I am at full restriction. Vomiting is not part of my daily routine!!!! I follow the "rules" and my doctors diet plan. I rarely feel "humgry", however slider foods call my name often and I have to fight that urge every single day. I love sweets. UGH!Good luck because you are doing great. Everything will fall into place soon. Promise!!! :)

I myself have nothing in lapband

Restriction is NOT being afraid to swallow food, it's just what the word means. You are restricted to eating smaller amounts (and yes, what you were told is right, 1 cup four times per day or thereabouts). I am always looser in the evenings. Mornings I can't really eat, and as the day goes on, I seem to loosen up. However, this is just me. I have always been this way. I have had several de-fills and fills, trying to find the right levels. it sounds like you're still not at your optimal level of restriction. Just try to hang in there, eat as you're supposed to (and it'll be a lot of willpower still now) and go for your next fill when your doc has it scheduled. As long as the scale keeps going down, you're golden!

1-2 lbs is a huge success and in my opinion being able to eat whatever I want in small portions is also a huge success.

I find that I need a fill every 3 weeks as opposed to every 4 weeks, but my dr never overfills me. I can tell when I'm ready for a fill because I get hungry two hours after eating. I think you're doing great if you're eating 1 cup or less at every meal and feel full.

I think the hard part about surgery is that a whole bunch drops off right at the beginning and then when it slows down to a normal pace we all get panicked. I thought I was at a plateau this week, and when I looked back at my numbers I lost 2.6 lbs!! That's a huge loss.. it's just not as dramatic as my 4 and 6 lb weeks of the past.

Just stick with it and you'll have doubled your weight loss in no time.

There is a big misconception that you're not supposed to be able to eat breads, or throw up when you eat too much, or that not being able to eat hardly anything is normal. It's not normal, and it's not how it's supposed to be with the band. The problem is, many people assume just because liquids stay down they're not too tight. You can be too tight and still able to swallow liquids.

The band is meant to be a tool not deprive you and starve you. Yes some do have issues and aren't too tight, but the majority ARE too tight and just don't realize it because they incorrectly think it's the norm.

I have lost 62 pounds in 3 months since being banded. I can eat anything I want, I've never thrown up, and I'm very satisfied with a cup of food or less. I have had 3 fills and am definitely in the Green Zone. If I got another fill and suddenly couldn't eat bread anymore, or starting throwing up, or found I could only eat a 1/4 cup of food I'd consider myself over-filled and have some removed.

There is a big misconception that you're not supposed to be able to eat breads, or throw up when you eat too much, or that not being able to eat hardly anything is normal. It's not normal, and it's not how it's supposed to be with the band. The problem is, many people assume just because liquids stay down they're not too tight. You can be too tight and still able to swallow liquids.

The band is meant to be a tool not deprive you and starve you. Yes some do have issues and aren't too tight, but the majority ARE too tight and just don't realize it because they incorrectly think it's the norm.

I have lost 62 pounds in 3 months since being banded. I can eat anything I want, I've never thrown up, and I'm very satisfied with a cup of food or less. I have had 3 fills and am definitely in the Green Zone. If I got another fill and suddenly couldn't eat bread anymore, or starting throwing up, or found I could only eat a 1/4 cup of food I'd consider myself over-filled and have some removed.

This is a great forum!!! N I'm sooo glad to have read ur post. This is EXACTLY what I hope the band will provide for me. I'm soooo afraid of being in constant fear of being stuck, of being completely incapable of having a few bites of the foods I love (breads, rice, etc...). This has given me hope that life will be OKAY, in fact will be GREAT, with the band! Thanks n continued success!!! U have been inspirational!

I am a week away from 3 months post LB surgery. I have lost 32 lbs in that time. Sounds good but truthfully 25 was lost the first 6 weeks and it has been slow going since then. I knew I had to be patient until I had some fills. I had my third fill about a week ago and am now 5.5 in a 10 cc band. I know there is some sense of restriction. At least until the evening, its not really difficult to stay focused on smaller meals. I had one episode a couple days ago where I went too long between meals, was really hungry and brought home a rotisserie chicken for dinner. While I was setting things up, I took a bite of the chicken wing and I know I didn't chew it well enough and I had my first stuck episode and up came the chicken. So obviously there is some restriction. However, as I read other people's posts here, I see people saying things like restriction is being afraid to swallow food, or they can only eat one egg or other very small amounts. One person told me they can only eat 4 tablespoons of food, the 5th will cause them to vomit. My doctor tells me I should be able to eat about a cup of food 4 times a day. Can you see the differences in stories I am seeing. I basically can eat anything if I chew it well enough. bread doesn't bother me, but I couldn't eat a whole sandwich and I don't have more than the occasionaly half an english muffin. I am wondering if I need just a little more fill to be as restricted as I hear some people talking about or should I just keep going. I am not complaining, only trying to understand what I should be shooting for. Thanks for any advice or experience you are willing to share.

i havent had a fill yet but i thought i read here somewhere it takes sometimes a couple of weeks for the fill to take its full effect?? if im wrong,someone please tell me?? meantime i would say its still all discipline, and applying what you have learned so far. following your drs orders.. one cup four times a day, eat every slowly, small mouthfuls... all that stuff.Are you on ''myfitnesspal.com''?thats a great tool as well.

Keep reading this forum .. you will learn a wealth of information here that will help you no end. Good luck with it all, and please dont get discouraged. there are 75 members here who will get alongside you and help you with your issues.

Do u want to only b able to take four bites of something? One cup of food is not a lot and it can takes days to feel a fill. Think about what u used to eat! I too can eat bread or anything really. Just chew a lot and small bites. I think u r doing good but of course talk to ur dr if u have any q's. Being too tight is horrible!! It hurts, it's nauseating and it can cause slips

Do u want to only b able to take four bites of something? One cup of food is not a lot and it can takes days to feel a fill. Think about what u used to eat! I too can eat bread or anything really. Just chew a lot and small bites. I think u r doing good but of course talk to ur dr if u have any q's. Being too tight is horrible!! It hurts, it's nauseating and it can cause slips

mandagay.... would you believe im 9 days out and im not feeling hungry anymore?? im having broths with potato, things like that, still very runny. i was getting a funny sort of pain in my stomach before, i guess it was shrinking but no more... im so grateful for that , i didnt know what to do to fix it. lol. im cooking hot meals for hubby and he is eating really well. tonight it was chicken curry.. there was one swift second where i would have liked to have a little piece of cooked chicken to chew on ... but it soon passed. thank goodness for that. lol.

Sorry, But I disagree with just about everything you have said.

But if that's what works for you, then that's great!

Also, I have never heard of anyone vomiting because of the band.

Sorry, But I disagree with just about everything you have said.

But if that's what works for you, then that's great!

Also, I have never heard of anyone vomiting because of the band.

Feel free to disagree, but this isn't my opinion, it's exactly what my surgeon told me when I asked him about people unable to eat so many foods and even vomiting. (yes, some do vomit from the band and I've seen them post here too) After reading so many horror stories on here, I asked him about all this specifically.

Like I also said, there are some that can't eat certain food and have issues even without being over-filled. However, when in the Green Zone this sort of thing isn't the norm and isn't supposed to happen.

He also pointed out some people actually prefer being over-filled so they're left less choices and rely even less on self control. Which of course is their choice, however he warned when living over-filled you also run a higher risk of band slips and prolapses.

Feel free to disagree, but this isn't my opinion, it's exactly what my surgeon told me when I asked him about people unable to eat so many foods and even vomiting. (yes, some do vomit from the band and I've seen them post here too) After reading so many horror stories on here, I asked him about all this specifically.

Like I also said, there are some that can't eat certain food and have issues even without being over-filled. However, when in the Green Zone this sort of thing isn't the norm and isn't supposed to happen.

He also pointed out some people actually prefer being over-filled so they're left less choices and rely even less on self control. Which of course is their choice, however he warned when living over-filled you also run a higher risk of band slips and prolapses.

Vomiting occurs from below the band, and is a big risk in band slippage. But this is not created from the band. Overeating, and overfilling the pouch with food/water can create an overflow, called regurgitation, and there are no gastric juices involved, other than saliva, to cause tissue irritation, dental damage, etc.

I have not vomited since I was banded, and it does scare the heck out of me if I were to get sick. The band does not like sudden, large forces coming up from under the band.

I would probably call my Dr.'s office ASAP.

And yes, I have no self control what so ever. If I did, I would not have needed surgery in the first place. I have tried every diet under the sun for over 30 years and failed miserably at every one.

I have had diabetes, one heart attack that I know about resulting in cardiac surgery, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc, etc.

My brother died at the age of 60, and my sister died at the age of 64. Both directly related from being obese.

My Dr. told me if I did not have this surgery, I would be in the same boat and would surely die.

I needed surgery to take control of my bad habits by controlling what and how much I eat, and also take away my hunger/cravings.

And I can say from experience that it has worked, and I am a success.

I am now 60, do not take any Rx meds anymore, other than a cardiac drug I will take for th rest of my life, I go to the gym everyday. I feel like a 30 year old.

My Cardiologist, Bariatric Surgeon and PCP all want to use me and my name(story) as an example for other people facing the same dire strait.

So, I can't eat certain foods anymore. Boo Hoo! I got my life back! I'm gonna dance at my Daughter's wedding this October!

If they told me all I would ever be able to eat for the rest of my life was bread and Water, and promised I would never feel hungry, I still would have done it and it still would have been worth it.

To me, the band is not a tool. A tool, like a hammer, is something I choose to use, or not.

I cannot control the band, as I would a tool. If anything, it controls me, and I am grateful for that.