Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably Common Sense...but My 1St Fill Experience

Hey Everyone,

So I went in yesterday for my first fill. I was banded on the 13th of February so I was definitely starting to feel hunger and I was excited to have my fill. I got to the Dr.'s office and I was nervous because of how much I hate needles. To my surprise, it was fairly painless but I have to admit it felt a little weird when she injected the 4 ccs of saline into the port. It was like I could feel the band tightening around my stomach. Anyway, so she had me drink the Water and I didn't really know exactly what I was supposed to feel like. At first I could hear the gurgling sound, but I also felt like I could feel the Water sitting in my throat. I (stupidly) thought that feeling would go away so I didn't say anything. BIG MISTAKE. Please please please do not ever do that! Like I said, this whole post is probably common sense for everyone but at the time I just assumed it would go away and I would benefit from having the band tighter. In my mind a tighter band = more weight loss.

So I leave and get out to the car and all of a sudden I start regurgitating the water. It started out that I was burping and a tiny bit would come up, but it progressed to me having mouth fulls at a time come up. By the time I got back to my office, I was drenched in sweat and felt MISERABLE. I went to the bathroom and the rest of the water came up. Thankfully I work with someone who has had the surgery, and she knew that I needed to go back to the Dr. She drove me back, and on the way there I was having back pains and pains like severe heartburn. I had to have 2 ccs out of 4 removed. As soon as they took it out, I felt 100% better! I couldn't believe how quickly my pains went away. I had some tea later that afternoon and some Soup for dinner that kept me full for hours!

I just thought I would share my experience with everyone. I feel stupid that I allowed that to happen, but I figured if I could make someone else aware and this not happen to them that I would do my good deed for the day! Just remember tighter doesn't mean more weight loss. It apparently means misery!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm going in for my fill on the 16th of april and didnt know what to expect. Your mistake sounds like something I would probably do because I am just ready to loose all of this weight! Good luck on your next fill hopefully it will be a much better experience.

I probably would have done the same thing, thinking sensation would go away, Good thinking on your friends part!

Will have to remember this!

Thank for sharing. This is all so new that I need to hear from people who have been there'

Thanks, I go in for my 1st fill April 9th. Like you I would have just assumed the tighter the better! Thanks for the info!

Thanks for posting. My first fill is 4/2

Thanks for reading. Jeremy using LapBandTalk<br />Banded 3-9-12<br />Dr. Fox Dallas, TX

Hey Everyone' date='

So I went in yesterday for my first fill. I was banded on the 13th of February so I was definitely starting to feel hunger and I was excited to have my fill. I got to the Dr.'s office and I was nervous because of how much I hate needles. To my surprise, it was fairly painless but I have to admit it felt a little weird when she injected the 4 ccs of saline into the port. It was like I could feel the band tightening around my stomach. Anyway, so she had me drink the Water and I didn't really know exactly what I was supposed to feel like. At first I could hear the gurgling sound, but I also felt like I could feel the Water sitting in my throat. I (stupidly) thought that feeling would go away so I didn't say anything. BIG MISTAKE. Please please please do not ever do that! Like I said, this whole post is probably common sense for everyone but at the time I just assumed it would go away and I would benefit from having the band tighter. In my mind a tighter band = more weight loss.

So I leave and get out to the car and all of a sudden I start regurgitating the water. It started out that I was burping and a tiny bit would come up, but it progressed to me having mouth fulls at a time come up. By the time I got back to my office, I was drenched in sweat and felt MISERABLE. I went to the bathroom and the rest of the water came up. Thankfully I work with someone who has had the surgery, and she knew that I needed to go back to the Dr. She drove me back, and on the way there I was having back pains and pains like severe heartburn. I had to have 2 ccs out of 4 removed. As soon as they took it out, I felt 100% better! I couldn't believe how quickly my pains went away. I had some tea later that afternoon and some Soup for dinner that kept me full for hours!

I just thought I would share my experience with everyone. I feel stupid that I allowed that to happen, but I figured if I could make someone else aware and this not happen to them that I would do my good deed for the day! Just remember tighter doesn't mean more weight loss. It apparently means misery![/quote']

I too felt the band tighten at the first fill. I did not have the regurgitation problem. I think 4 CC was too much. I got 3 CC and had no problem.

I don't want people to think feeling the band contract is necessarily a bad thing.

I can't believe ur surgeon didn't ask u! They should make u drink Water and wait to make sure it goes down well. My doc puts saline til u gurgle then backs it off til u "can feel it go down as fast as the night before". I can not imagine how much pain must have been in!

Well I will say it was a weird feeling when it tightened but it wasn't pain, it was just a feeling of being squeezed. As far as the nurse who filled it, she did ask me if it felt like it was going down but I guess since I had never had one before I didn't know exactly what to expect. I can for sure say next time I will know!

Well my first fill experience was something else to watch for...I got the fill, felt great for four days then got heart burn. Tums and Prilosec, no help. Three days later (I should've gone sooner) I have to go get a small unfill. I guess it can take as much as a week for the band to tighten up after a fill. Who knew that one!?!?!

Thank you for posting. I have had 3 fills, 1cc, 1cc and the last .25cc. I have not had this experience nor have I felt any type of restriction. Since reading this post I believe I am in a better position to find the green zone without going back and forth. If I get the gurgling sensation, I'll know it is too much and request some be removed. Thanks again for the info.

One of the BEST pieces of advice I got before my first fill was to not sip Water, but take a big drink of water before leaving the office. This way, if you're over filled, you'll know immediately.

I had my 3rd fill today without issue, however both of my first two fills I ended up gurgling water back up. I took small sips with no issue, but both times when I took a big gulp I had horrible pressure and water gurgling back up my throat. I was totally unable to swallow and it hurt. My doc removed a little Fluid and I was immediately fine.

Anytime you get a fill, take a BIG drink of water before leaving the office. You will save yourself so much time and trouble if you do.

Thank you so much for this VERY helpful advice!!! Just had my surgery last week but have been constantly thinking about the fills. Glad I know now what to more or less expect. N how to avoid anything as traumatic as that. Sorry, u had to experience that! =\

Hey Everyone,

So I went in yesterday for my first fill. I was banded on the 13th of February so I was definitely starting to feel hunger and I was excited to have my fill. I got to the Dr.'s office and I was nervous because of how much I hate needles. To my surprise, it was fairly painless but I have to admit it felt a little weird when she injected the 4 ccs of saline into the port. It was like I could feel the band tightening around my stomach. Anyway, so she had me drink the Water and I didn't really know exactly what I was supposed to feel like. At first I could hear the gurgling sound, but I also felt like I could feel the water sitting in my throat. I (stupidly) thought that feeling would go away so I didn't say anything. BIG MISTAKE. Please please please do not ever do that! Like I said, this whole post is probably common sense for everyone but at the time I just assumed it would go away and I would benefit from having the band tighter. In my mind a tighter band = more weight loss.

I just thought I would share my experience with everyone. I feel stupid that I allowed that to happen, but I figured if I could make someone else aware and this not happen to them that I would do my good deed for the day! Just remember tighter doesn't mean more weight loss. It apparently means misery!

thank you so much ev... this is an important share. i will remember it.

Were any of the fills that resulted in regurgitation done under fluoroscopy?