Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Skin Reaction To Dressings

hi girls. .and guys. i was wondering... has anyone has issues with the dressings that were used on the surgery incisions? i know that some of you have mentioned that you were able to shower with the dressings on... so that means they are very much like what ive got on. the trouble is, im four days out, some of the dressings are still very firm but im developing a bad skin reaction to the sticky outside of the dressing. i have one bubble which is nearly the size of a sixpence. its filled with Fluid and giving me hell. has anyone else had this?? if you did, what did you do about it?? i would like to just take all the dressings off. i dont want any more huge watery blisters.

If u r allergic to the strips they r gonna need to come off. Call ur dr first thing since u r only four days out. Have u tried benadril? U don't want ur incisions opening up on u

If u r allergic to the strips they r gonna need to come off. Call ur dr first thing since u r only four days out. Have u tried benadril? U don't want ur incisions opening up on u

it certainly looks like IM allergic .... ive taken half of them off... the ones that feel itchy underneath. not all of them feel that way.. .yet. where ive taken the dressings off the incisions look pretty good. some of them have tape strips over them, similar to stitches i guess. those strips are still on . ive used calamine lotion on the blister so far. nothing else. is bededril a lotion that you use or do you take it?? im in australia

U take it. It will make u drowsy prob. My doc said I could take dressing off second day but to leave the strips on. If u are showering with all the bandages on it could be getting irritated because of moisture. I'd def give ur doc a call

I am sorry that you are having a reaction to the dressings. I am also allergic to the sticky tape they use for dressings. However - I am okay with the steri strips that go directly over the incisions.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine that comes in both pill and lotion form. They are pink oblong shaped pills. I am not sure what they are called in Australia but they are generally used for all allergic reactions. They can make you very sleepy so use caution.

U take it. It will make u drowsy prob. My doc said I could take dressing off second day but to leave the strips on. If u are showering with all the bandages on it could be getting irritated because of moisture. I'd def give ur doc a call

ive managed to keep that whole front tummy area dry when showering.. dont ask me how. lol. o.k... so ive taken half of the dressings off. i will see whats happening in the morning . if there is anymore deterioration i will ring the dr. i have phenergan in tab form which i could crush up ... but im not sure if it would irritate my pouch.

I get rashes that turn into blisters from dressings. Even a bandaid will give me blisters. I have worse scars from my blisters as a result of the surgical tape when I did my my body lift than from some of the incisions.

I'm in Australia too and despite mentioning my allergy at every op, I still get taped, so I suffer with it. With the last op, I ripped them off because I could not stand the itch anymore and I actually caused one part of the incision to separate. Next time I'll just put up with the itch!

You can get liquid Benadryl in Australia but I don't know if it's the same (as in an antihistamine).

I too am allergic to any of the adhesive they use on strips and dressings, they used glue on the insicions and no dressings , the wounds healed fine. Call your doctor and ask if they can be removed now, u stand a chance of not healing whilst your skin is under an allerigic reaction..

I am doing patch tests at the moment to try out different makes of skin closures and dressings ready for my body lift in 2 months .. am allergic to all so far .. sigh ! Allergy is only on my body tho not arms legs etc..

good luck :)

I am allergic to the betadine they use to prep the skin as well as the adhesive. They also use a spray adhesive to make the Steri Strips stay on longer, and yep, I'm highly allergic to that too. I took off ALL the dressings except the steri strips and healed just fine. Just leave the Steri Strips in place for at least 10 days, then they will start to peel off. Just be VERy careful as those come off because they can re-open your incisions

I am allergic to the betadine they use to prep the skin as well as the adhesive. They also use a spray adhesive to make the Steri Strips stay on longer, and yep, I'm highly allergic to that too. I took off ALL the dressings except the steri strips and healed just fine. Just leave the Steri Strips in place for at least 10 days, then they will start to peel off. Just be VERy careful as those come off because they can re-open your incisions

..yesp, and i reckon Im just like you, i have the same allergies myself. This morning my tummy felt itchy all over so i carefully took off all the outer dressings. one incision looked a little raw on the outside with some small amount of blood but i put a bandaid over that. ive been putting calamine lotion on my general tummy area around the incisions. im feeling good right now.. no discomfort.

I get rashes that turn into blisters from dressings. Even a bandaid will give me blisters. I have worse scars from my blisters as a result of the surgical tape when I did my my body lift than from some of the incisions.

I'm in Australia too and despite mentioning my allergy at every op, I still get taped, so I suffer with it. With the last op, I ripped them off because I could not stand the itch anymore and I actually caused one part of the incision to separate. Next time I'll just put up with the itch!

You can get liquid Benadryl in Australia but I don't know if it's the same (as in an antihistamine).

thanks. i will remember this one.