Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved...now Sad??? Wth?

So I'm getting surgery done on April 17th. Ever since I went to the educational class to learn the ropes of what to expect pre-op and post-op, I've been depressed. I want this surgery but now I'm an emotional basket case. Help please!

Hi Lisa, I haven't been banded yet, but I think it's normal to go through this. It's a major life change. For a lot of us, I think we get sad because we have an unhealthy relationship with food, and the surgery means we have to change it. I have heard several bandsters comparing it to a "break-up" with food. It's always been there, it's always been a comfort to them, but it was not a healthy relationship, so they had to end it. Another thing, especially if you've had a long road to get here, is that depression that comes with the accomplishment of a goal. It happens to a lot of college students after they graduate. You spend so much time working towards this goal, and once it gets here, there's a sense of loss because you've become so used to the "working towards" part.

You may have some depression and "what have I done" feelings right afterwards, too, just so you know. But I know you can do this. :)

Hi Lisa,

I am recently banded and I can say its the best decision I could have made. Im down 29.2 lbs. Been losing 7-8 lbs a week, I know I will eventually slow down to maybe 2 lbs a week. But can truly say I'm loving my band. To be banded is a very personal decision, like most of us we have tried everything else. On a personal note with the health issues I have, i needed to have this done. Its so amazing to not feel hungry all day. The hardest thing for me was the pre/post-op diet, not because it was not doable but because I got bored of the same foods, but I survived and so has others. Im eating mushies now and feeling great. There is a lot of support here utilize it. We are here for you. What seems to be depressing you after the class?

The "break-up" with my best friend food is rough! But I can honestly tell you I feel free now. I do not feel like I am thinking about food all the time like before. I don't have to question what should I eat, I feel guilty for eating this, am I eating too much? I just feel like it is part of a routine.

I was just banded in the 7th, so it's only been 2 weeks, but for me my mind feels a big relief. The preop diet was harder than after you are banded it is easier to eat less. Hope this helps:)

For me it was realizing how fluffy I was and that I needed the band...still waiting on surgery date maybe 1st or second week of April, but now I realize I need it and the benefits that will follow I am excited! Hang in there!!

Hi Lisa,

I'm getting banded the day after you (!!) and feel EXACTLY the same way. Now that it's all scheduled, I'm freaking out. Every meal is a last meal, I'm emotional, I'm depressed...

I look forward to connecting with you again when we're on the other side!

i was completely the same way! i got my approval maybe 2 weeks ago and ever since then Ive been in a funk! for me i think it was the reality that Ive let myself come this far, and now im going to need surgery. the band is going to be the greatest tool ever and its going to help me get my life back. i think i just need to keep reminding myself that everyday! best of luck to you, and i hope everything works out well! xo

Hi Lisa' date='

I'm getting banded the day after you (!!) and feel EXACTLY the same way. Now that it's all scheduled, I'm freaking out. Every meal is a last meal, I'm emotional, I'm depressed...

I look forward to connecting with you again when we're on the other side![/quote']

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! Glad I have a way to connect with people doing the same thing, I need a support system. @Sasha good luck to you, we're in this together! All of us.

I just got approved and I am having surgery April 12th, I felt the same way as soon as I knew this was really going to happen I felt sad. Someone asked if I was scared at all I'm not a bit scared, just sad it's hard to explain. I know this will be the best thing for me though and I am anxious and ready to get it done.

I was just approved and find out my surgery date on Monday. I remember getting off the phone after being told I was approved started to shake and tears rolled down my eyes. I couldn't explain why I felt the way I did. One day later, I had my highs and lows and again crying asking why am I not jumping for joy. My family has been great, my son told me you are losing your friend. A friend who has always been there. I cried and told myself it is not goodbye it is just we will have a different relationship. Still fill like I am in a funk. I have wanted this for such a long time, I hope to get to that happy place. Good luck to everyone and thank you to those who have offered your kind words of encouragement.