Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only Seven Weeks In And I Am Already Failing

I started my weight loss journey at 415lbs. The day of my surgey I was at 362lbs. Today I am only down to 354lbs 7weeks post op. I was doing so well. I was down to 348lbs two weeks ago but I have lost motivation and my old eating habbits have come back. I find myself snacking all day long. I get my first fill Friday and I hope it helps. Did anyone else lose motivation so early on? What can I do to get back on track?

7 weeks....what is different from before?

Have you had any fills?

Untill your band gets properly adjusted, which can take months, you are no different than the way you were before you were banded.

All you can do is diet using will power and self discipline. And if you are anything like most people here, that does not wrk out very well. If it did, we would not have had the surgey in the first place.

Your complaint is no different than any other newbie. You have to undstand that this takes time. It IS a process.

5 months from now you will feel differently, as long as you follow your Dr.'s instructions and learn how to live with the band.

I had my surgery at 371lbs. The first 2 months before my first fill were so hard!! Once I got a fill it was much better, but sometimes it takes several fills before you feel restriction. Once you do it should help you control your eating. Are you working out moving your body? The thing that helped me be successful is I got a trainer who came to me twice a week. Yes, it was an expense but I vowed that I would not fail at this like everything else I tried. He really forced me to do things I would have never done.

You can so do this. Start over! Pretend it is day one. Do Protein shakes for a couple of days. Google - 5 day pouch test. It is like getting back to basics. Message me if you need motivation or to just vent!! You did not fail. You can start fresh today!!

Im going for my first fill tomorrow. It's 6 weeks on the dot. I have, up until now restricted my food only by sheer will and a desire not to lose precious time. I'm down 26 pounds but so far with no assist from the band. I'm hoping that the fill will give me a little kick start, because after 62 days of "dieting" i'm tired of it.. THis is about the time I start to run out of steam and motivation, THe point of the lap band was to get restriction. I didn't realize it takes so long to get to a place where the band actually becomes the tool. In the meantime, I'm hanging in there.. and you have to also.. we have no road back.. we can only go forward,,,

I havent had my surgery yet but I want you to know that you will receive alot of comments on this and those who have had the surgery will offer advice. I want to say that I am proud of you for having the surgery and for losing what you have so far. Please do not start the process of snacking and eating what is considered (wrong). you have come too far to turn back now. If you do, you will end up back to the weight where you started or more. So, stop. The motivation for you should be that you are worth the effort to just stop and mentally do what is right for you. Get back on track right now. Forget whatever it is you think you have done wrong. Start right now. ((for I'd give anything to be 7 wks post op as you are right now)). And when I have my surgery, I will want your support also :)

I am having my first fill on Friday. I hope it helps. This is horrible but my problem has been being around my family. I tried to stay away from family and friends and it was a lot easier to lose weight when I am not around others that are costantly eating. Spring is here which means cook outs and family gatherings. I do work out ocassionally I guess I should definetly be more active. I bought some kettle bells amd a jump rope but it take me three days for my body to recover after working out. I feel like I am just making excuses but it is just so hard. Thanks for the advice. It is nice to hear some words of encouragement. I can do this! It is just a lot harder than I ever imagined.

I am a master with the been there/done that ((excuse)) mentality so I understand and know where you are coming from. I blamed everyone but me in regards to my weight, size or whatever. Strive deep down. You did all the pre ops, you had the surgery. Make that effort to make this work. You can do this. Family gatherings or not. Choose to not fall into past because we know what happens? (why we had the surgery in first place). So make better choices. You can and will succeed.

I am going to get back on track today. I told myself that my love for food wouldn't get the best of me. The last two weeks have been a battle and guilt is such a horrible feeling.

I am going to get back on track today. I told myself that my love for food wouldn't get the best of me. The last two weeks have been a battle and guilt is such a horrible feeling.

Excellent. Because what done is (done). What we shouldnt have eaten (at Breakfast or dinner last night is history and never can be changed). What can be changed is NOW. Hang in there. Am here for you if you need support.

My patient advocate said that any weight I lost before my first fill was "all me", it is not till the first and second fill that the band begins to work well for you. If you begin to think you are a failure you will continue to fail. Change your mindset to the fact that you are early in the process and need a fill at this time. Which appears to be totally the case. No worries, just be honest with your Dr and he can adjust you accordingly. From what I have heard, where your at is totally normal.

Guilt can drag you down! Don't you let it! I keep repeating "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!". I agree that this is the hardest thing I have ever done but the most worthwhile. Take it one day at a time, don't beat yourself up for mistakes. We all make them and everyday is a brand new day! I truly wish you success!

You are not a failure. Sure, maybe you have slipped up and eaten some things that aren't exactly Kosher for this way of life, but you also shouldn't discount the fact that you have gone through a life changing procedure and that maybe your head will take a little longer to catch up with your body.

Make sure to get enough protein/fiber to keep you full. If you are not hungry, don't eat. Don't let head hunger trick you either.

I agree with those that have said don't call yourself a failure. Even though your up a few lbs, you have still lost 61 lbs. If you don't think that isn't success - go to the grocery store and put 61 lbs of butter in your cart - cause that's what you lost!!!

Your mind can play bad tricks on you if you let it. Remind yourself of your successes every day, and don't dwell on the slip ups. I got my band on 9/15, and for the first time my band is letting me know it's there, but only if I eat too fast or don't chew well. I can still eat huge amounts of food, I'm just choosing not to because I really want to take control back of my life.

I think you have done real good so far just keep it up as if nothing happened get started again a go you can do it, I went today to get my second fill was told I did not need one I stick to it like glue because I did it for myself I have a big family and it is very hard as they will eat to party and party to eat I have to tell myself I have to go weight and it brings me back to watch everything I eat.