Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction..????

I've been reading where alot of y'all are saying you have to have restriction In your band. When I tell my dr he says I am not to feel restriction. I am suppose to feel satisfied. He states I shouldn't feel like I want to throw up, so I'm kind of confused about y'all talking about restriction..... Explain..

FYI....I exercised last night and didn't drink with my meals! Yay. On the road back to losing..one day at a time!

Kathy

Restriction is not feeling like you are going to throw up. When you have good restriction, it will limit the amount of food you can eat, making you feel satisified after a small portion for a longer period of time. With restriction you will have to eat slower and chew really well. Otherwise you will get stuck which will make you feel like you have to throw up to get rid of the food stuck from passing through your band. I hope that helps you understand the difference between restriction and being stuck. :D

Agreed, restriction isn't throwing up. To me, I'm restricted in that after only half to a cup of food, I feel full. It is that feeling of fullness, but much sooner than before being banded.

For me, its not the same feeling as a big plate of food. Yes, my stomach is full and I'm technically not hungry anymore but sometimes MY HEAD tells me I'm still hungry...that I can't be full already. I've never been one to stick to 1/2 a cup a food and my surgeon says thats not really the idea of the band. I have restriction to a point, but I never feel like I want to throw up. Throwing up is not a normal part of having the band. I'm a 17 months out, down 105 lbs and have never thrown up. I learned very quickly what gets stuck and now I avoid those foods because the pain and agony isn't worth the taste. You have to learn to battle the head hunger, thats the worst part. I don't know of anyone with the band that only has 1/2 cup of food. In the beginning maybe, but certainly not a year out. My surgeon keeps a reminder on the wall that its a 1/2 cup of CHEWED food...not whole food.

The feeling of fullness is very different post band, but after time I have forgotten what it used to feel like.

The new way of feeling full is now "normal" to me. I hope that makes sense.

I don't like the word restriction much because it can have different meanings.

I like "green zone" or "sweet spot" much better. I reached my sweet spot very early in the process and it has helped me feel full or satisfied on toddler size meals. Now that I say it, I don't like the word "meal" very much either.

Agree with previous posters "restriction" is not about needing to throw up! If you throw up you are probably to tight! It took me over 6 months to get restriction. It is not like the I'm so full I think I might burst. If I get that full I have clearly eaten wayyy to much. To me it's a more of am I hungry enough to keep eating. Head hunger is still there. I kind of think of it as a 3 way conversation between the Id, Superego and my stomach/Band. The Id (head hunger) wants to keep eating the Superego starts the conversation with the Stomach/Band "Are we really hungry or are we done?" Once at restriction the Band and Superego outvote the Id and we stop eating. The Ego well he stays out of it!

I never want to feel full like after you had a big plate of food ever again.. i feel satisfied after my meals now not sluggish, bloated to the point of bursting, lazy sleepy and all the negatives that overeating brings, and then 2 hours later feeling hungry again.. no thanks i will stick with my small portions and my band and feel alive after a meal !

I have a question, does the fullness with the band after a small portion like that feel like the fullnes you used to get after a big meal or is it different? I've heard that it's not the same feeling and doesn't feel as "natural"

For example. I know how I feel now after having a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I over eat of course but I'm full and don't to look at food anymore for 4 or 5 hours. I'm hoping that that is the same feeling after a half a cup of food with the band, completely full, don't need anything else for a few hours. I think that's where the control over my choices will come in.

Its not the same to me at all. Hard to explain but I just stop wanting to eat, but I don't have that full feeling like before.

I have 7cc in my band my Dr does not want to put more than 8ccs. At times I dot not feel full or as my dr. Says satisified...I still feel hungry after..so I'm trying to increase my Protein.

He's very big on this 1\2 c diet! I've tried but can't...I'm soo hungry.

I'm wondering when we start eating less does the poch become smaller..idk I'm so confused..

After 3 yrs I'm still trying to figure this out..

Kathy

By restriction we mean in the band, it's tightness thus restricting the amount that can be eating, not restricting what you eat.

For instance, I can eat 1 cup of food at the very most before I feel very full and satisfied. That is because of the restriction in the band making me feel full.

The fullness is different than it did before I was banded, but in a good way. I feel very satisfied and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything whatsoever.

I guess everyone is different, cause after a little meal, I feel just like I did when I was full before banding. I have good restriction, and that to me does not feel like throwing up, it just means that I am way full after less than a cup of food. Plus I do not get hungry for hours after.

when i eat 1/2 cup or a 1c of food i still feel unsatisfied and get hungry after. I have 7cc in my band and my dr. knows i've been struggling with this weight loss mostly because of me... but 2 week ago when i saw him i was at 6cc.. he didn't even want to put a fill says well just try the 1/2 cup diet.. i kept telling i don't feel full or his word SATISFIED.. i'm not suppose to feel "FULL" i insisted on him putting some in. and he did... Just weird.. on everyones definition of it.. FULL.. satisfied..etc.. I"m not doing the 1/2 c diet like he said... just can't do it.. but i've stopped drinkign during my meals.. not snacking.. if i do. its only on healthy stuff.. like mozzerella cheese stick.. or almonds.. stuff with protein... Just not feeling FULL.. Satisfied.. :( I'm trying to increase my Protein daily to see.. I'm hoping that doing this will help me feel less hungry .. and feel more "FULL" i wonder does our pouch decrease once we start eating less??? hmmm

Ohh forgot.. So far i've lost 4 more pounds since my last visit to my other Dr... which was 2 weeks ago! :) Also,,just did my 2nd day of exercising! :) And not drinking during my meals .. :) thinking positive and trying to stay motivated...

Have you had any tests done to check the placement of your band, like and upper GI? They can check the restriction of the band with that as well.

Have you tried eating three meals a day without Snacks in between, but perhaps they are larger than 1/2 cup?

I don't measure out volume, I eat until I am not hungry. If I eat until I am "full" I am in pain. Satisfied is good for me. I still use the word full, but I don't stuff myself these days.

Yup.. i've had then look down with a scope.. all is fine! I was hoping something was wrong.. A way not to blame myself.. but nope.. Its all me i guess.. but changing my ways.. hoping it will stick. I"m on working on the without snacking... Right now its all been Healthy snacking... 8 almonds.. or 1 stick of mozzarella .. going for stuff with high Protein value to make me feel "full" (but not the ohh i'm gonna throw up full) just Full as feeling not hungry anymore.. or "satisfied". I'm right now working on then then slowly but surely once i start to feel the FULL.. or satisfied sensation.. i'm eliminate the snacking :)