Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Tell People?

Only my family will know and they are completely supportive of my decision. I work at a Police Department where we work 12 hour shifts I get 5 days off every other weekend but I am maxed out on Vacation so I can take that whenever I want. I figured when the time came around and I started losing weight I could contribute it to being healthier and going to nutritionist. I just rather people not know.

I think I have you all added as friends. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

MY BIG news. The ins. turned me down again yesterday. I cried all morning. Well enough crying. It accomplished nothing.

Whe reason they turned me down....I only have one co-morbility....guess I need to be ready for a coffin for bcbsil to pay.

I'm going to Mexico ... The Obesity Control Center in Tiajana. It is a US accredited facility.

Instead of lapband I'm having

Gastric Plication Is Groundbreaking Option

The newest weight loss procedure is known as Gastric Plication. It is being described as “the most exciting advancement in weight loss surgery since adjustable gastric banding.” The surgeons at OCC are proud to pioneer this procedure which has

Have any of you been there?

So I tell my husband show him the website, etc and he agrees it is the way to go. I made the mistake of tell our sons. One hit the roof. It was rather hurtful. "God made you the way you are and if he wanted you to change he would have made the ins. to pay for the surgery.

When I told him I don't want to live this way. "Then we need to get you therapy."

To get him to shut up I promised to see if I could find any where in the US that would be reasonably priced. I did look but to no avail.

I wish I hadn't told him.

I've told very few people. It was none of their business but felt I owed it to my children. I won't make that mistake again.

Debra, I understand that you want to lose weight... but this seems kind of shady... I would be really upset, too, if my mom was going to Mexico to get exploratory weight loss surgery. I looked it up online and can't find many US surgeons who perform gastric plication, but they'll do it in India and Mexico. Is there no way you could do self-pay for a lap band?

Your son is probably just worried about your health. What if you have complications? Will you need to go back to Mexico to get those fixed? Please talk to your family physician before you make a decision and see what he thinks. I'm just a girl from Indiana with no medical training so I may not know what I'm talking about. But I'm always wary of deeply discounted surgery performed outside the US... I've always said you get what you pay for. It may be worth the money to stick to a reputable surgeon in your home state! Just my two cents... good luck!!!!

Debra: I had Gastric Plication with the lapband on 7/7/11 in Jacksonville, Florida. Dr. Cywes. True, it is not FDA approved yet, but Dr. Cywes is in a controlled study about the proceedure. As far as I could tell, there is 3 or 4 surgeons who do this type of surgery in Florida. You might want to check them out before going all the way to Mexico. By they way, I have had no problems and in the 8 months I have lost 88 pounds. (I am 60 yrs old too).

Melinda in Jacksonville, Fl

Dr. Brett Cohen in Hollywood also does this procedure. I believe their are some in Ga also. Search plication on here and learn more about the procedure. I've seen lots of great info and positive results about it.

In August I broke my ankle. In September I developed 2 blood clots in my leg. In January I had a hysterectomy. My husband is immune to me and hospitals/medical procedures! LOL He's very supportive though. He said if I am happy, then he is happy. He wants me to be happy and healthy and he knows this is going to help me with both.

As for telling people......I am not sure how I will yet. I have shared with my online friends that I am taking steps to have this done. I haven't told my family though. Part of me thinks I just might not even tell them. I'm doing this for me, not them....so I don't know that I feel the need to tell them.

I didnt tell anyone except my best friends and 2 sister-in-laws and 1 brother. My hubby and BFF were amazing. My BFF was banded 8 years ago. I didnt tell anyone until after my surgery as i didnt want to have a debate and have them talk me out of it. Or bigger yet what if i failed or my surgery was prosponed. My hubby even did the pre-op diet with me. When i told everyone they have been my number 1 fans. My dad wanted to tell me about the procedure 6 months prior but didnt want to offend me. I was self pay and for my birthday and 8 month mark my dad gave me cash for 80% of the surgery cost. The band has changed my life! 108 lbs later BMI from 45 to 26 in just over a year. Now i am 15-25 lbs from goal. Now i tell those close to me and i am proud to be banded! I am a role model to others now! Most importantly i feel amazing and have a great life ahead! Good luck!

When I decided to go through with the lap band, I had only discussed it with a free very close friends, inhere who is a fellow bandster. In January I let it slip to my mom and then it seemed like over night everyone in my life knew. 99% of people have been very supportive and those that haven't, well honestly i'm doing this for me so they don't matter. I've been researching this for over 2 years and knew without a don't this was for the right decision for me. My best friend was against, so I invited her to a seminar and it changed her mind she is one poof my biggest supporters. I'm proud of the decision to take control of this part of my life. And you should be too. Good luck to you

Rlfoster banded 3.15.12

I said "Hey I'm having the lapband" and everyone I told either asked what it was if they didn't know or said "Hey cool"

Only my family will know and they are completely supportive of my decision. I work at a Police Department where we work 12 hour shifts I get 5 days off every other weekend but I am maxed out on Vacation so I can take that whenever I want. I figured when the time came around and I started losing weight I could contribute it to being healthier and going to nutritionist. I just rather people not know.

Hey Sammy, I do shift work too, dispatcher at a fire department. All of my family knows, I have gotten only one person being just slightly negative but I am pretty sure she is getting dementia. I did tell everyone I work with. Only two dispatchers on at a time, 10 hr days and 14 hr nights so you build some strong relationships. I am 4 days out and they have been beyond supportive. Most of the firefighters know and I was surprised at how wonderful they have been. What I said to them was "I made the decision to get healthy, by what ever means necessary". Now I dont get to participate in the work dinners fully but I bring my little container of Soup and sit with them. This whole process has made me feel like I am

More part of a big family.

I don't hide the fact that I'm having surgury but, I don't yell it from the roof tops either. If it comes up in coversation - I tell. I live in a small community and I plan on loosing a lot of weight :) ........ people are gonna notice sooner or later.

I've yet to hear a negative comment! Almost everyone is supportive, the rest are impartial or just ask general questions. There were a few people I was hesitant to tell because I was afraid of negative comments - they've surprisingly been VERY supportive!!

I think I have you all added as friends. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

MY BIG news. The ins. turned me down again yesterday. I cried all morning. Well enough crying. It accomplished nothing.

Whe reason they turned me down....I only have one co-morbility....guess I need to be ready for a coffin for bcbsil to pay.

I'm going to Mexico ... The Obesity Control Center in Tiajana. It is a US accredited facility.

Instead of lapband I'm having

Gastric Plication Is Groundbreaking Option

The newest weight loss procedure is known as Gastric Plication. It is being described as “the most exciting advancement in weight loss surgery since adjustable gastric banding.” The surgeons at OCC are proud to pioneer this procedure which has

Have any of you been there?

So I tell my husband show him the website, etc and he agrees it is the way to go. I made the mistake of tell our sons. One hit the roof. It was rather hurtful. "God made you the way you are and if he wanted you to change he would have made the ins. to pay for the surgery.

When I told him I don't want to live this way. "Then we need to get you therapy."

To get him to shut up I promised to see if I could find any where in the US that would be reasonably priced. I did look but to no avail.

I wish I hadn't told him.

I've told very few people. It was none of their business but felt I owed it to my children. I won't make that mistake again.

I didn't hear any good so far on this procedure. You should be very careful because they have a big purcentage of fail. And fater a few years, at the contrary of what they say, it becomes non reversable ! I hope you'll find something for you.

DebraG:

My doctor, Dr. Charles Morton, here in Nashville is also in a controlled study for this as well. It was offered to me at no additional charge to my lap-band, if I would participate in the study. I didn't do it however. They are a great group as well. I don't know how far you are from Nashville, but as some of the others have said, its worth checking into...even if its just to calm your son's worries. :) I have to say, my 11-year-old said the same thing to me over just the lap-band and told me I was fine the way I was. That almost made me change my mind but I prayed and knew that God was making a way so I that I could be healthy for my son for the rest of my life. I will be praying for you! God bless you!

I'm very comfortable with my decision. Thank you for the positive comments and encouragement.

7 days until surgery

Good for you Debra! Best wishes to you!