Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded On Monday And On Emotional Overload....please Help

I am getting banded on Monday 3/19 and I am super excited. However, I am super nervous about complications or something. I do worry too much and its probably natural to worry I know. I have made the decision to get the lap band to help ultimately save my life but I guess I worry that something could happen on Monday unexpectedly. My emotions are on overload right now...I have kicked the pre-op diets but and lost 13 pounds so far. And I know that i can do this and be successful...just getting scared of the surgery part. I just want it to be over now and be post-op! I want to continue to lose and feel better and better so I can enjoy playing with my daughter. I know this is the best decision I have made for myself and my family but right now it feels not so great! I would appreciate any support!

Wow, congrats and you will be fine. It's simple procedure don't worry. I will be banded on 4/5 and probably will be just as worried like you.. But I say to myself I had 2 surgeries that were over 9 hours long, if my body can handle that it can take and hour., stay positive and you will Benin my prayers. Keep me posted on ur journey, u will be great

Let me first start off by saying I am not an overly religious person, BUT I do believe in our time is out time. Meaning God already knows when you will join him, so you can't get around that. Trust that and know that He will get you through this as well as give you a great start to your new life!!! As my mom always says--worrying about it, won't change it, so stop :) Easier said than done I know! You will be fine! It is a very quick surgery. I was out in less than 40 minutes. You will do great!!!

Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I think I am just getting all worked up and thinking the worst. But my surgeon is pretty awesome and has done this procedure so many times. And Otters38 your right when its our time, its our time...and it could be at any time surgery or not. I just want to be able to here with my family. I love them so much.

I had my surgery on Monday 2/27 and I was the same way. I was so excited about getting the band but scared of surgery and recovery (im a wuss when it comes to recovery) lol but it was fine. I wasn't really scared days before but once I got to the hospital and sat in the waiting room the fear kicked in. After a bit I got to a room and changed, got my IV (I have horrible veins so it took about 20 minutes to draw the 2 viles of blood) and waited. Then the surgeon came in and told me the hospital was behind and just relax for a bit and just seeing him made me feel a little better. They came about 45 minutes later and took me up to the operating room area and parked my bed in the hall while they finished closing up the last patient and getting things ready. As i sat in the hallway looking out the window for about 30 minutes, I felt very calm and relaxed, like that was the point of no return so no use in stressing now. When I went into the operating room I got on the table they set me up, the nurse cracked a joke and then I was gone. Woke up in recovery, feeling very nauseated so I threw up a bit. When I threw up I peed a bit and the nurse had to take off my pants and put towels under me till i got to my room and THAT was seriously the worst part of it all. Right before they shipped me off to my room the surgeon came and checked on me, I told him I threw up and muttered about being sorry that I ruined my band already. He said not to worry that he got it on there good and I was fine. Rode listlessly to my room trying to keep my eyes open. I laid in the bed for about an hour dosing off so my husband had to poke me every few minutes and make me sip. Then the nurse came in, made me get up and go to the bathroom and get dressed. I walked in circles around the room for a few, hubby signed my release papers and home to sleep I went.

The first few days it was rough to get up and move around because of the pull you feel on the port. By day 4 I was getting up as often as I could when I was home alone and my hubby was nice enough to help me get up when he was home so I didn't have to strain. I slept on the couch until this past Friday. Last night I was finally able to sleep on my tummy, could have sooner im sure but I was too scared to try, and it was amazing. By the way I live in a 3rd floor condo so all of those stairs were killer so I didn't even go down the first 2 days.

I feel good today! :) Each day I feel better (The muscle the port is sewed too is still sore but nothing I cant handle) and soon I will be the same ol Tracie I was before except with better eating habits, better self confidence (working on that with psychologist) and a smaller figure.

So that is my story and I hope it helps ease a bit of the nerves. You are making a great life change for yourself and I am sure you will be fine.

Don't worry honey we are all here for you! You will do fine! It is very normal to be worried...I was ready but very nervous at the same time! My main thing was being cut up...I hated thinking about it...but it really wasn't a big deal...my scars are healing up nicely too. Good luck and feel free to message me if you need to!

I had my lap band march 5, i also was super excited and nervous all the way till they wheeled me into the operating room it's normal try to relax

I am getting banded on Monday 3/19 and I am super excited. However, I am super nervous about complications or something. I do worry too much and its probably natural to worry I know. I have made the decision to get the lap band to help ultimately save my life but I guess I worry that something could happen on Monday unexpectedly. My emotions are on overload right now...I have kicked the pre-op diets but and lost 13 pounds so far. And I know that i can do this and be successful...just getting scared of the surgery part. I just want it to be over now and be post-op! I want to continue to lose and feel better and better so I can enjoy playing with my daughter. I know this is the best decision I have made for myself and my family but right now it feels not so great! I would appreciate any support!

awww.. i know how you feel about having surgery. i understand your concern because of your daughter.. this is quite a normal reaction that you are going through,even so , its not nice. Emotional overload, like me at the moment.

What time are you being banded on monday?/ have you had any surgeries before this?/ ive had about 20 in my life and im still scared. i know how you feel. I dont have a daughter young like you do, but i have a husband who is dependant on me. And a son with mental illness as well.

Ive thought about how things could go. Every procedure has its risks. But, you are young, the technology and training that we have access to now are just incredible to say the least.

i know that you will be fine. Not long to go now. try and keep busy for this weekend. monday will be here before you know it. what have you done about your post op diet?? have you been shopping?? have you made any clear Soups?? Who is going to look after your little girl for you??

whats her name?/ and how old is she?? Both my daughters are grown up now, in fact both my grand daughters are adult as well. i still remember when my girls were little though.

i just know that you will be fine. try and keep yourself busy as you can in the meantime. unfortunately being nervous is one of the things that we have to go through. This is different though... this surgery is life changing. i know the thoughts that you must be having. ''Is this going to work for me??'' i have that thought all the time. My husband was just in here talking with me about it . im not done until thursday. i just had a bite of chocolate. Ray was critical of me having a piece. i said that i know its about the last i will have in a long long time. hang in there.. im going to pray for you. try and enjoy your weekend with your little girl. (( hugs ))

I was banded yesterday. My surgery was only 30 minutes. I always have a problem with anesthesia so yesterday sucked. I simply couldn't wake up. Pain and nausea kicked my butt. My surgery was scheduled for 2:30p. I had to be there at 1p. Nothing by mouth since the night bfore was the worse thing. The doctor was late so I was wheeled in at 3:15. I was on my way home by 6:50. I got home just before 8pm. Took my Gas X and my liquid Vicodin and went to bed. Holding a pillow against my abdomen while I slept with a pillow between my knees made me comfortable and I was able to sleep for nearly 7 hours. This morning I feel much better. No longer cloudy and I am moving around better. My abdomen still hurts but is tolerable.

You will be fine. Concentrate on the future and know that the discomfort is transient. I will be thinking of you on Monday.

Thank you guys for the support. I really appreciate it. I am better today....I know this is the right choice for me.

I'm getting banded on Monday also! :) I have been laying in bed scared to death about what's going to happen. Im traveling out to get it done, i think the hardest part is leaving my dsughter for three days :'(

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

awww.. i know how you feel about having surgery. i understand your concern because of your daughter.. this is quite a normal reaction that you are going through,even so , its not nice. Emotional overload, like me at the moment.

What time are you being banded on monday?/ have you had any surgeries before this?/ ive had about 20 in my life and im still scared. i know how you feel. I dont have a daughter young like you do, but i have a husband who is dependant on me. And a son with mental illness as well.

Ive thought about how things could go. Every procedure has its risks. But, you are young, the technology and training that we have access to now are just incredible to say the least.

i know that you will be fine. Not long to go now. try and keep busy for this weekend. monday will be here before you know it. what have you done about your post op diet?? have you been shopping?? have you made any clear Soups?? Who is going to look after your little girl for you??

whats her name?/ and how old is she?? Both my daughters are grown up now, in fact both my grand daughters are adult as well. i still remember when my girls were little though.

i just know that you will be fine. try and keep yourself busy as you can in the meantime. unfortunately being nervous is one of the things that we have to go through. This is different though... this surgery is life changing. i know the thoughts that you must be having. ''Is this going to work for me??'' i have that thought all the time. My husband was just in here talking with me about it . im not done until thursday. i just had a bite of chocolate. Ray was critical of me having a piece. i said that i know its about the last i will have in a long long time. hang in there.. im going to pray for you. try and enjoy your weekend with your little girl. (( hugs ))

Hi Judych- Thanks for the kind words they were really helpful. I am trying to enjoy my weekend and stay busy...it is so beautiful outside so that should be pretty easy. My daughters name is Rilynn and she is 3 years old. I told her I was going to the doctor to get my stomach worked on so I can't pick her up and she can't crawl on me like she does for a while but I don't think she really gets that part yet.

My pre-op diet has been....rough but much easier now that I am in the home stretch. I had 1 week of 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal and this week only Protein Shakes. Tomorrow its only Clear liquids. I have done well though so I am proud of myself. And somehow the "not haves" don't seem such a big deal at this point. I am down 14.5 pounds as of this morning so that definitely helps me stay on track. I have done some shopping for post op - Popsicles, Jello, creamy/brothy Soups (as my surgeon has instructed for the first few days after surgery), and I order some nectar Protein Shakes from bariatricadvantage.com...I order an assortment to help me with next week...all I have had the last two weeks in vanilla and chocolate so I am sick of those and ready for a different taste. I have also gotten several things for the next phase...a magic bullet, appetizer sized plates, small ramkins (as bowls) to help me with my Portion Control.

I am being banded around 730am on Monday and my last surgery was a c-section in 2008 so I really don't think it will be as bad as that was and I also remember being very nervous about that until it came time and I was so ready for my daughter to be born that the nervousness faded and I think I am getting there with this surgery..I'm ready for it to be done so I can start my new life!

Thank you for the prayers. I am having my surgery done at Baptist Hospital in Nashville TN. Where are you having your surgery and what time is it on Thursday? Also as far as the chocolate I think you have to let yourself have something if you want it really badly (hopefully a small amount) but if you don't then you could end up over doing it a lot easier. So tell your husband support not criticism...I spent my whole life with my family of origin criticizing my eating because I was a little heavy and that has turned into a huge problem for me as an adult and being able to eat what I want etc. And that is a big reason I want to get healthy is to set a better example for my daughter...I don't want her to have the same eating habits as I did growing up (not eating, eating the wrong things, eating too much,etc). And i have told my family they need to support me not criticize me as I make this journey because there is such a HUGE difference to me!

Hi Judych- Thanks for the kind words they were really helpful. I am trying to enjoy my weekend and stay busy...it is so beautiful outside so that should be pretty easy. My daughters name is Rilynn and she is 3 years old. I told her I was going to the doctor to get my stomach worked on so I can't pick her up and she can't crawl on me like she does for a while but I don't think she really gets that part yet.

My pre-op diet has been....rough but much easier now that I am in the home stretch. I had 1 week of 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal and this week only Protein Shakes. Tomorrow its only Clear Liquids. I have done well though so I am proud of myself. And somehow the "not haves" don't seem such a big deal at this point. I am down 14.5 pounds as of this morning so that definitely helps me stay on track. I have done some shopping for post op - Popsicles, Jello, creamy/brothy Soups (as my surgeon has instructed for the first few days after surgery), and I order some nectar Protein shakes from bariatricadvantage.com...I order an assortment to help me with next week...all I have had the last two weeks in vanilla and chocolate so I am sick of those and ready for a different taste. I have also gotten several things for the next phase...a magic bullet, appetizer sized plates, small ramkins (as bowls) to help me with my Portion Control.

I am being banded around 730am on Monday and my last surgery was a c-section in 2008 so I really don't think it will be as bad as that was and I also remember being very nervous about that until it came time and I was so ready for my daughter to be born that the nervousness faded and I think I am getting there with this surgery..I'm ready for it to be done so I can start my new life!

Thank you for the prayers. I am having my surgery done at Baptist Hospital in Nashville TN. Where are you having your surgery and what time is it on Thursday? Also as far as the chocolate I think you have to let yourself have something if you want it really badly (hopefully a small amount) but if you don't then you could end up over doing it a lot easier. So tell your husband support not criticism...I spent my whole life with my family of origin criticizing my eating because I was a little heavy and that has turned into a huge problem for me as an adult and being able to eat what I want etc. And that is a big reason I want to get healthy is to set a better example for my daughter...I don't want her to have the same eating habits as I did growing up (not eating, eating the wrong things, eating too much,etc). And i have told my family they need to support me not criticize me as I make this journey because there is such a HUGE difference to me!

you have done a magnificent job losing that amount, it must make you feel really good about what you can achieve.. and theres more to come i think. Your little girl is gorgeous. is this her in your pic that youve put on here?? she is a darling. so she is about 4 years old now?? is she the daughter you had by caesarian?/ i had to have a caesarian with my youngest daughter as well. she is now 38. how time flies. it sounds like you are well prepared now. not much else you can do, just enjoy the sunshine with your daughter. the day will go quickly enough. Yes, im going to have to have a little talk with my hubbie if he gets more critical . i need him to be supportive not negative. in the beginning he was supportive to the hilt but i think he realizes now that its no ''walk in the park'' and he is cross that i allowed myself to get this big anyway. No understanding of the emotional baggage behind it at all. i wouldnt even try to explain it to him. but, if he isnt supportive i will let him know in no uncertain terms. I live in Australia. the southern most state which is an island.(tasmania) we are on the eastern seaboard, facing out over the ocean. its a beautiful spot. there are some wonderful walks here for me to do as well. As soon as im well enough to start walking again i will be doing just that. im starting on my barley green now as well, so hopefully my whole system will be cleaned out and my joints will respond well. i have arthritis badly in both knees, feet, hips etc. thats why im having the surgery. i need to lose about 90 pounds. its not a lot with the band but impossible for me without the band. Anyway, id better close. all the best for you on monday.. i will be thinking of you. judych

I'm getting banded on Monday also! :) I have been laying in bed scared to death about what's going to happen. Im traveling out to get it done, i think the hardest part is leaving my dsughter for three days :'(

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Jess, where are you travelling to to get the surgery done?? and you are leaving your daughter as well?? no wonder you are feeling the way you are. Where are you travelling to?

you have done a magnificent job losing that amount, it must make you feel really good about what you can achieve.. and theres more to come i think. Your little girl is gorgeous. is this her in your pic that youve put on here?? she is a darling. so she is about 4 years old now?? is she the daughter you had by caesarian?/ i had to have a caesarian with my youngest daughter as well. she is now 38. how time flies. it sounds like you are well prepared now. not much else you can do, just enjoy the sunshine with your daughter. the day will go quickly enough. Yes, im going to have to have a little talk with my hubbie if he gets more critical . i need him to be supportive not negative. in the beginning he was supportive to the hilt but i think he realizes now that its no ''walk in the park'' and he is cross that i allowed myself to get this big anyway. No understanding of the emotional baggage behind it at all. i wouldnt even try to explain it to him. but, if he isnt supportive i will let him know in no uncertain terms. I live in Australia. the southern most state which is an island.(tasmania) we are on the eastern seaboard, facing out over the ocean. its a beautiful spot. there are some wonderful walks here for me to do as well. As soon as im well enough to start walking again i will be doing just that. im starting on my barley green now as well, so hopefully my whole system will be cleaned out and my joints will respond well. i have arthritis badly in both knees, feet, hips etc. thats why im having the surgery. i need to lose about 90 pounds. its not a lot with the band but impossible for me without the band. Anyway, id better close. all the best for you on monday.. i will be thinking of you. judych

Hi Judy- My daughter is 3..I may have said 4 by mistake and yes she is why I had my c-section which I keep telling myself was a much bigger surgery than this. And yes time does fly...It seems like she was only just born yesterday or only that little 2 year old in my picture...tonight she gave me so many kisses....made me almost cry...she is so sweet. My nervousness is still there but less somehow and I just want it over and look forward to the new me. I survived the clear liquid diet today so that just makes me feel even more empowered in this journey!

I am sure your husband is just stressed with you and for you so I am sure he will be more supportive as time goes by and it not...that talk is a good idea. And I think it is hard for anyone to understand completely especially about your eating habits etc if they are not in your shoes. But I am sure he just wants what is best for both of you. And I feel the same way about not being able to do it without the band..I have tried so much...My husband said well if you can do the pre-op diet...can't you just keep doing that? I said no way...I can do it because there is an end to it and good things are coming..If I could just "do it", I already would have!

I'm off to try to get some sleep as I have to get up so early. Thanks for the thought and prayers.