Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Doesn't Reccomend Lap Band Surgery...what Do I Do Now?

So I had my initial meeting with my surgeon today, and he told me that he doesn't recommend the lap band surgery at all!! He told me that he removes almost more bands than he puts in, and told me I should consider one of the other 2 surgeries. I have no idea what to do now. I had my heart (and head) set on the band, but now I'm completely thrown for a loop... Can anyone tell me what they would do in this situation? I'm not too keen about getting 1/2 my stomach removed and I'm not even going to contemplate the bypass...HELP!!!

Find another doctor? What city are you in?

find a surgeon that specializes in the lap band, good luck

yep, find another doctor!

He told me that he removes almost more bands than he puts in

Wow I have never heard anyone say anything like that before. I may be wrong, but my first impression is that he is not a very good surgeon if that is the case. I agree with everyone else...... find another doctor.

I agree, find another surgeon that specializes in lap band. I got a couple of opions before my surgey. I dont know anyone that would advise a bypass or Tummy Tuck over the band! Thats crazy! Good luck in getting banded I think its that best tool!

Find a surgeon that specializes in the band. :)

Ditto! You need to find a surgeon who has a successful track record with his band surgeries. If his office provided excellent after care and support he would not be removing bands, but would instead be helping them lose ALL their excess weight!!! Good Luck!

Maybe because he is putting them in wrong n doesn't know... Find another surgeon!!!

there's a reason people are encouraged to get a 2nd opinion , or even a 3rd opinion when it comes to surgery. just because somebody has the letters M.D. after their name doesnt make them right. M.D. stands for "medical doctor", not "my decision." get another doctor !!

Every Dr. is going to be an advocate for some things and have an issue with other things. Apparently this Dr you saw just doesn't like the lapband. If you are really set on getting it then you should get another opinion or 2. Be sure to find somone who is an advocate for the band with a lot of experience so that you can feel comfortable knowing you have someone that will be there with you during this amazing life change.

I would agree with what everyone else said.

I drove to another town past several lapband surgeons to go to the one I chose. During my consult I learned that my surgeon had been doing weightloss surgeries for many many years. Lapband was the only surgery he would do anymore. The others were all too drastic and he already had many patients with lapband success. I know there are some patients that have conditions that are contraindicated for the band, but that doesn't sound like what is going on with you. It would be worth going for a consult with someone else.

maybe his motivation is based more on money than need, i would find another surgeon.. and it doesnt matter if u have to travel to get to them, after all we all travel to go on holiday dont we :)

Good luck and i hope u find a decent surgeon soon ..

get another doctor

i'm in Maryland, and I =have Kaiser Permanente, does anyone else have Kaiser?

Find another doctor? What city are you in?

I'm so confused, he also said you only lose about 30-50% of excess weight? Have you guys lost more? I just want to make sure I have the best chance possible.