Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Without Exercise?

Has anyone been successful loosing weight without doing a lot of strenuous exercise? I was recently banded, but several weeks before being banded I hurt my leg and back. I plan on going to the pool after my incisions heal, but as far as a lot of walking or using exercise equipment, that is out for the time being.

I lost 100 lbs not exercising. Every so often I walk, but didn't do anything strenuous. I am very flabby also. I am not sure if that is the reason or my age. I am 56. I am now doing Zumba 3x a week. I am going to start walking a lot. I don't like lifting weights. In my clothing I look great, without clothing that is a different story. Good luck to you.

It is possible but generally losing weight without exercising is slower and you will have to eat less than if you exercised as well. Swimming will be good as it is weight bearing. What injuries did you do? Walking is generally good for you even with a bad back but it will depend on what you have done to your back. Can you use an exercise bike as that will take a lot of the weight off your leg.

I think the most important thing is to remember to be more active.

Go and talk to people in your office instead of emailing them.

Do not park right next to the entrance to the shopping centre.

Get up to switch channels instead of using the remote

etc etc.

Lots of little changes can add up and help to make a difference.

I lost 73lbs since Dec 2010, I hardly exercise although I always plan to lol. Because of little exercise I am a slow loser. I am again, starting to walk a few times a week. I find when I do workout regularly the weight does come off a little faster, but there isn't much of a difference because I avoid strenuous workouts. I have back issues that come and go so I tend to be careful and keep things low impact.

The overall health benefits through exercise are great, so regardless of what it is you do or how much faster or slower weight loss is with workouts, I'd suggest trying to do something, even if it is just walking. Every little bit helps.

It is posible, I lost over 100 lbs with very little exercise, but I was extremly overweight and at the time was so out of shape I wasn't able to excercise, now I have to work a lot harder at loosing weight. So I would say it is posible up to a certain point but not feasable to obtain my ultimate goal.

I say if you're young exercise!! Take it from me.....10 yrs ago I went on a diet and lost 70lbs and didn't exercise because a friend of mine told me she didn't and still lost 80 lbs. Well I'm flabby and I'm sure that's the reason I am! At 60 I have no doubts that it's not going to go away no matter how much weight I lose. Exercise!

Swimming is really good exercise and if u can do it then do so. I was really unfit when i started out but i like my exercise bike now and a few dumbells etc while watching tv and it has helped a lot ... exercise if u can as the benefits are not just weight related.

I did loose wt without exercise for while 2 months. I wasn't able to exercise but it plateaued and thank god I can exercise some now and the wt is coming off again.

Oh I was non wt bearing one month had to keep foot elevated most of the time. I had foot surgery 2 days after lb. I just got full wt bearing no more crutches. I'm walking on a tread mill 2 miles a day now and it has helped lots

I was banded 4/2011 and when I went back for my first fill in June, I could not get a fill because my port flipped! For insurance reason's, I was not able to get it fixed until January 2012. Between that time period I was basically going on will power because I was not able to get fills. I did not exercise much aside from walking a mile maybe twice a month. I did however lose 65lbs between April and now. I do believe I would have lost much more if I did exercise.

I never liked exercising nor could I stick to a program so I didnt exercise other than a few dog walks since my band. I lost all my weight and am just maintaining now. Band_groupie whose blog is called the sweet spot lost 100+ pounds after her band also without exercising. Not because of an injury but just not a big part of her (or my ) lifestyle.

I agree with Elcee, we have to change so much more than our eating habits. we have to think like healthy thin people do. walk like you mean it, do park as far away from the building as possible. it will all make a difference.

I sometimes forget how sedentary my life was, of course I didn't feel well and never lost any inches. sweat is good for us!

with the approval of your doc do what you can, it all makes a difference!

For sure it's possible! However, results may be different in that you may have more loose skin. Of course, I believe that depends on your age too, and how long you've been overweight as your skin loses elasticity over time. I haven't been exercising but I know in combination with eating right it would make losses faster. I just feel like I have no time in my life to spend it doing something I don't really enjoy! I'd rather just take the dog for a walk (but she's a dawdler so I can't really count it as exercise, lol).

I lost about 60% of my weight prior to starting to exercise. The problem is that at some point I started to lose muscle rather than fat. I know this to be the case because I actually had a dunk test that accurately described my body composition. After starting exercise, the trend line got much better. I started losing weight faster, and it was actually fat – in fact I gained muscle. That muscle gain and fat loss took me down to about 15% Body Fat (this is not BMI, there is a difference). The trick is finding something you enjoy and will stick with. I never thought I of all people would enjoy running, but now I log about 20 miles a week – go figure.

Swimming is a great form of exercise. Once you are allowed go to the pool; I highly recommend getting a waterproof MP3 player, check them out on Amazon. My preferred form of exercise has been swimming and since 10/08 (banded 8/10) I have lost 142 pounds. I originally chose swimming because I had horrible knee problems and could not do weight bearing exercise.