Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band And Flight Duration

Hi, I had my lad band fitted a little over 2 years ago. I have managed to lose almost 7 stone now and am much happier but it has been a struggle, I'd be lying to myself and to you if I said it had been easy! It seems that my band is either not working and I lose no weight or it appears too tight and I can hardly eat but, obviously, lose weight. my last fill was July last year and I still struggle with losing weight. Eating Protein is a problem as I struggle to get it through, I lose interest in the food and stop eating. This means I have little energy so excersie is an issue. I'm now saggy and want to tone up but the slightest excersie and I'm dizzy and faint :(

Anyway, this is not what I came on here to discuss, sorry for my whinging :(

We are about to book our annual holiday, I remember flights should be kept to 4 hours or less. What happens if there are delays and the flight time is over this? I'm quite terrified the bloomin band will burst or something as catastrophic? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated :)

Thanks.

Lu x

Who on earth told you that flights should be 4 hours or less? Whoever it was that is utter nonsense. Flying with a properly filled band is not an issue. Saline does not expand in the air - on the other hand if your band is empty the air in it can expand and is more likely to cause problems.

I have flown long distance a number of times since I have been banded and have not had any issues. And by long distance I mean trips that consist of 3 flights over 24hrs with a total of approx 16 hours flying time.

If you are concerned the best things to remember are.

Stay hydrated (drink Water not alcohol)

Stick to softer foods - you don't want to start sliming on a plane as the toilets would not be the best place to have to bring it up and you would go through a lot of airsick bags.

Take your own drinks/snacks if you prefer and the airline allows it.

Order a special diet (e.g soup) before you fly.

If your band does feel tighter than usual then it should resolve when you land.

Relax the band is not going to explode. However I cannot guarantee the same for breast implants if you have those! I have heard horror stories where people have had a deflated implant after their flight!

I would take out travel insurance that covers your band as you want to be safe rather than sorry if for some reason you get stuck and need an emergency unfill. Plus it is always good to have cover in case your cases go on holiday to a different destination to where you are going!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Just relax and enjoy it.

Wow! Thank you for such wonderful advice! And no boob job! Yet! With all my saggy bits you never can tell what I'll have touched up once I reach my goal weight! :)

We have flown since the band fill so I always prepare with warm drink before or even a light meal so there is no need for drinks on the plane but as I had been told the 4 hour rule it's only ever been short flights!! Not anymore, the whole world has just opened up! Thank you! Yay! :D

I've never had a problem either and my md never put a restriction on flight time, etc. But all the advise the op provided was really good. I always pack my own Snacks when I fly because the food in the airport terminals to be honest-sucks and it's nice to have a little "comfort food" from home. For me it's usually a string cheese, yeah I know not creative lol.

My band did get tighter. I flew short distance then drove. I think it was more to do with going from sea level to mountain level there is a big change in pressure between the two. I had to eat soft foods while gone. I sure if I had stayed there I would have assimilated.

My band is currently empty and I flew for the first time two weeks after surgery and again about a month later and I didn't have any problems either time. My flights were about 2 and a half hours each way

Not sure where that "4 hour" rule came from. I've never heard of it.

I just flew to London (11 hour flight each way) and noticed no difference in my restriction and ability to eat foods.