Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips For Starting Exercise

I've never been much of an exerciser, that's part of my weight problem (food, of course, being the other). I know that part of weight loss both in these weeks before my surgery and once I have it is going to involve exercise and...I'm just wondering where to start. I don't know if workout videos are quite right for me, but I'm afraid I'll get bored if my exercise is just walking around the neighborhood. I've started taking the stairs more at work....not ALL the time, but more than I was.

After I heal from the surgery and am cleared to exercise, I'm going to join Curves. I went there before and really loved it. But...I need something to do in the meantime. I just need that kick in the butt for motivation.

Well, after I had surgery my only option was to walk from point A to point B for so long. I did this for 10 minutes every 2 hours just so my body could get used to me being active again. Until you are cleared to full on exercise, walking is your best bet to do. Yeah it can get boring, but it might help if you have a dog, or maybe a friend or family member who can walk with you so that you won't get bored or unmotivated. What kind of activities do you like to do? Do you like Yoga or Pilates? What about swimming at the gym or if you have your own pool? Those are great exercises as well. Trust me, we all need a kick in the butt for motivation from time to time because things can start to be so montonous, but it definitely is worth it. smile.png Remember, start slow and gradually start to increase your pace while adding in extra exercises to work out more muscles. That is when you're fully recovered of course.

Hi! My surgery is next week....February 8th...and for the past 4 months I have been doing Walk Away The Pounds with Leslie Sansone and a few other work out DVD's like Jilian Micheals, and Brazil Butt Lift. Mostly I do Walk Away The Pounds though and I love it. I have lost just about 30 pounds doing either 2-5 miles every day. It really motivated me a lot, since I didn't exercise at ALL before this. I look forward to it now, because I feel great during and afterwards. For beginning, this is really perfect...the 1 mile walk would be perfect for you...and its not just walking in place, you do all sorts of other movements...you can look her up on youtube and see for yourself!

I got an exercise bike and watch tv while i cycle that way i dont get bored :)

I joined Lucille Roberts a month before surgery. I was back at the gym the week after surgery, just walking on treadmill. For me I usually take the classes. I tried curves and was really bored on rotating the same circuit, plus the hrs were not good for me. I started couch 2 5K a simple running program and it works you up. Whatever you do make sure your not bored, you will not stick with it. I like the gym and do my runs 3 times per week and go to the gym 1-3 days. Wii also has the fit games that are good too! Good luck!!!

I am three months out and have not dedicated any time to exercise, I know I must at some point and I have a home gym, but I too have never been much into exercise. I need something to motivate me, maybe when the scales stop moving. That will motivate me to start. I have dvds and all I am just lazy. sigh....

Hello everyone --

I had lapband surgery THREE years ago!!! I can't believe it has been that long.

As far as exercise -- what did it for me was finding something that had a LIVE PERSON that was sincere in helping ME with my exercise goals!

For me - it was Taekwondo/Karate - there was a local ATA school (American Taekwondo Association) close to my home. My young daughter joined - and then 6 months later I joined, first I only did the kickboxing classes and then a few months later joined the adult karate classses.

I worked out 5-6 days a week there -- when I missed a class the owner/instructor called me .... yes HE called ME! and asked if everything was okay.... having someone for me to be accountable increased my motivation to keep going....and I learned to like it.

The owner already had my money -- so he had no business reason to contact me ...except that he trully cared about me reaching my goals.

So find a gym, class, studio. school....something that you can find SOMEONE that will care about you.

If you have the money - get a personal trainier for a couple months to kick start you.

It WAS the exercise that helped be drop pant sizes.......my goal was always the size of my clothes not the pounds.....I went from a size 22 to now a size 8.....it took me a long time......and I still SEE MYSELF AS OVERWEIGHT!!! but knowing that I am in a size 8 --- solidifies that I am fine!!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone -- YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I did a lot of walking and joined curves! I got to where I would walk to curves, do the workout and walk home! Curves was great, but last month I switched to a gym where I get more to offer because I needed more! I find the key to getting my exercise in is making myself do it especially on those days I do not want too!

I plan on swimming..Low impact and you move your entire body. You can check your local schools or your YWCA/YMCA. Works great with people who especially have arthritis (like me). they also offer swim areobics as well.

I started Couch to 5k a few months after my surgery and I loved it! The program is constantly changing so it goes by really fast and the week by week progress makes you feel really proud of yourself. All you need is a pair of runners and a ipod to use as a timer. Even better download the C25K app. Hope you find something you love to do!!!

I'm a ZuMbA girl. It is simple dance/aerobics without having to be a dancer. It is for all fitness levels, and can be modified to your needs. It keeps me motivated! I also do the Wii Just Dance 3.

Good luck!

when is your surgery scheduled? I am just wondering why you don't want to join Curves now and get a head start!

the inches I have lost have come from Curves, I feel so much better. also the women their are young and old fat and kind of fat. I go 5 days a week and it has been the best exercise for me. I also had not done any exercising for a long time.

I always got so winded doing anything, walking was the only thing I could do but only on level ground!

I also have a sweating to the oldies video and a walking one from Leslie Sansone. I like them both, I feel like exercise is making the big difference in the way my body is starting to form. I say form 'cause before it just hung, draped really.

don't wait, get started right away!! walk like a crazy person after surgery, the gas pain will not be so bad if you do. it will also keep your metabolism at a better place.

I agree with the other posts, your exercise will change as you get healthier. a full gym will work better as time goes on, plus with that new body you will fit right in!

when is your surgery scheduled? I am just wondering why you don't want to join Curves now and get a head start!

My surgery is March 8th and I'm going to be self pay (insurance doesn't cover). I'm not sure how long it will be after the surgery before I will be cleared for exercise, and I'd rather wait so that I'm not paying for it when I won't be using it.

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm not ready to join any classes. Most of my exercise (aside from the Curves) will be done at home. Eventually I want to join a class or two, but until I've lost some weight, I'm a little self conscious of being in a class or going to a "regular" gym, because....well, we all know what a lot of people who go to gyms look like. Tiny and in good shape. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

For those of you who don't exercise at ALL- no offense but I just don't understand how you can do that. You are loosing this weight, don't you want to tone your body? Aren't you afraid of loose skin? I don't get why you wouldn't want to just move move move it makes you feel soo much better! I haven't even had the surgery yet and I feel amazing. I could not imagine getting into this without the mindset that I have right now and I owe it all to exercising. Seriously!