Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

I am wondering the same thing and also where the heck are all the support meetings? I live near Mount Pleasant, Michigan and they have a seminar there, but I am looking for support after surgery. I am new to this forum and have zero knowlege of how it works. I am sort of learning as I go.

:rolleyes:

Hi I am from Michigan and will be having surgery next month.

Where in Michigan and where will you be having your surgery???

Hi, amh. I'm near Traverse City. My insurance has approved, and I'm waiting for my surgery date too. Don't ya hate it?? The waiting for this, waiting for that. I expect to have mine next month also, but my surgeon is gone on vacation or something for a couple of weeks, so that might push it out further.

There are monthy sort of support meetings in Traverse City. I've not been yet, but they have guest speakers on nutrition, emotional issues, etc. When I had my shrink evaluation, I asked him about a lap band support group, and he said he's been thinking about getting one started. Up here is too far for you, but ask your surgeon's office maybe?

This forum is the best. I've learned so much here. Welcome and congrats on your surgery.

Edited by Blund

Welcome to Band Land. Keep in touch if you want. Shirley

Blund

I've been to the "support group" meetings. They are in the same room we had the info seminar in at Munson. The place was packed, mostly RNY patients and not very one-on-one. The speaker spoke and we listened. I'm looking for something a little more intimate. Where you can talk face to face with LB friends. I'm not aware of any groups like this.

I'm 1 year out and my only support is this forum

Hope you get your surgery date soon! Good Luck!

Keep us informed.

demsvmejm,

I wondered if (and suspected) thats what the "meetings" were all about. I said before Dr Hayes (shrink) sounded open to the idea of a LB group, since most evaluations he does now are for LB. I might pursue him on that. From my reading here, life after RNY and life after LBS are quite different, and if there is enough interest, maybe we could get a group together for support. GTS has a message board, and I've only looked at it a couple of times, but its just regular chit-chat. Kind of a waste of time. NOTHING like here.

I'll keep you informed ...... -Barb

I live in Alpena and drive to Port Huron once a month for fills. That's too far to go for their support group so I started my own. We have anywhere from 2 - 17 people at a meeting and we've been going for about 5 months now. I'm amazed at how many Lap Band people there are just in this area. It's really great to meet with people who understand what we're going through that we can talk to without getting the deer in the headlights look!

Judy...how did you find these LB friends & how did you get them together?

It's not like the Dr's office is going to give me a patient list. Ad in teh paper? Just wondering where I might start.

I'M HAVING MY SURGERY FOR MY BIRTHDAY ON APRIL 24TH !!!!!!

yipeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I'd be interested in a TC group, demsvmejm. GTS might be willing to contact the Band patients to see if anyone's interested. I know everything's confidential, so that is the only way I can think of. Seems like GTS would help. I'd be willing to help in any way too.

Barb

Congratz Blund, on your upcoming Birthday Banding! :smile:

What a special birthday present - The beginning of a new life! I hope everything goes wonderfully for you! :cheers2:

Make sure to treat yourself to some birthday cake :cake: (if you usually have it!) before your pre-op diet (if you'll be on one). :(

Congratulations again, I'm so happy for you!

Thanks!

I have a 2 week pre-op diet, but it isn't really strict. I'm not a big cake person, but LOVE ice cream! That can be made into a liquid, right?!! And its Calcium? !! :thumbdown:

Judy...how did you find these LB friends & how did you get them together?

It's not like the Dr's office is going to give me a patient list. Ad in teh paper? Just wondering where I might start.

I just put an ad in the paper. It's free here in our local paper. I gave my phone number as contact person and the calls started coming in. Every time I put it in the paper I get 1 or 2 new people!

Teachlady,

Thats great that you were able to get a group together. Our paper will publish "callendar of events" type ads for free too. Good idea. So far, I've only seen WW, OA meetings. I plan to push for one here.

hi

i live in st ignace had my surgery at gts and i to started a support group. so far we have 6 people coming to it. but i hope for more. it is very casual it nice to just have someone to talk to, and how things are going. we just did not limit it to LBS but for everyone who has had WWS. right now i'm at a stand still. not evert happy about that.

sue

I live in the SW corner of Livingston County and I would be delighted to join a support group within 50 miles of me. Lansing, brighton, Jackson, Ann Arbor areas. If there is one in the area, e-mail me at kirajh@yahoo.com, or if you are interested in starting one.