Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hi All,

I'm, of course, fighting it. My doctor thinks it's ridiculous.

They sent me a denial letter stating I didn't have a five year history (I do and sent it) They also said I needed a six month diet history (I did and sent it). My doctor talked directly to BC/BS and they told her she needed to document it better than she did. They are willing to take from November 07 to now - Oh gee thanks. There's nothing different about the diet logs and doctor's notes since July 07!

I'm sure once I get 2 more months documented they will find something else.

I'm very frustrated. I needed to get this done before my jobs got too busy - looks like I will have to go through this with hardly no down time or I'll have to put it off for a slower month.

Sorry for the rant.

I wish I was going to Florida with you I hear it is nice and warm there I live in Westland,Mich. a subard of Detroit

A five year history??!!! What the h*ll is up with THAT? I hope BC doesn't want that from me, we just moved here 2 years ago, and there is no way I can get my history. I couldnt even get my previous baseline mammogram forwarded here.....

Sorry to hear about your denial, n mist. You may want to look up some posts of people who have fought/appealed to their insurance for some ideas on what to do next.

Well, I finally found my way into the Michigan forums, lol! Greetings and warm hugs to my fellow Michigan Bandsters / Bandsters to be! (we need the warm hugs in all this cooooold weather, don't we? hehe). :biggrin: I am post-op day 6 here, and doing very good! I had an excellent surgeon and my hospital stay was awesome. I wrote out my surgery experience up in the February bandsters forum: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f113/banded-2-21-my-surgery-story-53173/

Any one here in the Oakland County area? I'm in Waterford, near Clarkston.

Nice to meet everyone!

Hi Lori! Welcome to bandland! :smile2: I'm in Oakland County too, but down in Royal Oak. I also see Dr. Krause now that my original surgeon moved out of state.

Hi Lori! Welcome to bandland! :laugh: I'm in Oakland County too, but down in Royal Oak. I also see Dr. Krause now that my original surgeon moved out of state.

Hi Juno! Nice to meet you. :huh2: Thanks for the welcome into bandland, I still have to stop and remind myself it's really there! Dr. Krause is an awesome surgeon. Do you go to any of the doctors/dietitians at Beaumont's Weight Center? Or, did you? I see by your signature you are expecting, congratulations! :tongue2: Did you just get your band unfilled, until after the pregnancy? Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to intrude :smile2: but I just love comparing notes with other bandsters. These forums have been so helpful!

Best of luck to you, I hope you & your baby are doing well!

Hugs,

Lori

Hi! My neme is Leah and I am from Michigan. I live in Grant, it is a small town about 45 minutes from Grand Rapids. I was banded last friday Feb.22, 08. I feel like I am always full, thats great. I went to MMPC in Grand Rapids and had Dr. Foote. He was great. They are so professional. I am excited about March 7th getting to add some other foods. That will be great. If there is anyone in my area Please let me know. See ya Leah

Thought I would say Hy from the other side of the tracks. I'm from Macomb County, st.clair shores. Welcome aboard neighbor. shirley...

Hello Leah, I am from Lowell, not to far from you. I had my surgery too at MMPC but Dr. Baker did mine, 10/26/06 I lost 48lbs right away. but none since then. So don't give up to soon. I am at 7 cc's in my 10 cc band and I am never hungry and often get stuck for awhile. But it goes away, I make all the wrong choices now. So work with the band till you are done. I did have a few things that got in my way ( ovarian cancer & had surgery ) but don't let that happen to you. I have joined weight watcher again and I am eating healthy. But if you have any ????? you can email me and ask me if you want. Purtynailz@aol.com

Hey fellow Michiganders, I'm in N. Michigan (near Traverse City). I'm waiting for approval and wondered if any of you recent bandsters have had the "head hunger" yet, and how your dealing with it?

HI ALL,

JUST A QUICK NOTE TO LET THE METRO DETROITERS WHO ARE EAST SIDERS KNOW THAT I'VE FOUND A SUPPORT GROUP. IT MEETS THE 1ST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH (THAT'S THIS COMING WEDNESDAY) AT 6:30 PM. IT'S AT THE BETHEL LUTHERAN CHURCH ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF LITTLE MACK AND FRAZHO IN ST. CLAIR SHORES. I THINK I'LL ATTEND, AT LEAST THE FIRST TIME, ANYWAY.

THAT'S IT. EXCEPT THAT I'M ENVIOUS OF THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TICKERS. I'VE DONE MINE, BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER IT TO MY RESPONSES. I'M NOT TOO LITERATE ON THE COMPUTER, BUT I'M NO DUMMY, EITHER. OH WELL...IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS, I'LL BE GLAD TO TRY THEM OUT.

JULIA

HI ALL,

THAT'S IT. EXCEPT THAT I'M ENVIOUS OF THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TICKERS. I'VE DONE MINE, BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER IT TO MY RESPONSES. I'M NOT TOO LITERATE ON THE COMPUTER, BUT I'M NO DUMMY, EITHER. OH WELL...IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS, I'LL BE GLAD TO TRY THEM OUT.

JULIA

Hi Julia! Have you tried the ticker tutorial (with pictures) that's found on this site? It really helped me!

Try this: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

If you still have problems, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help you out! :thumbup:

Hey fellow Michiganders, I'm in N. Michigan (near Traverse City). I'm waiting for approval and wondered if any of you recent bandsters have had the "head hunger" yet, and how your dealing with it?

Hi Blund!

I'm new to the "Bandster" life yet (7 days post-op) but I've had to deal with "head hunger" during the two weeks pre-op diet. How I handle it - I try and stay focused on why I'm doing this and what my goals are. Being overweight has slowed me down, and I really want to be active again . . . walking, shopping, traveling, without feeling "out of breath" and tired everytime I move. So whenever I find myself "hungering" for a food I love, I try and switch my thoughts to the goals I have - the places I want to visit, going to the beach in a bathing suit (oy, haven't done this in so long, and I love the water), shopping for smaller sizes, better health, etc. you get the idea . . . think about the reasons why you want to lose the weight. Then what's more important to you . . . eating that food you're craving, or reaching your goals? Right now I just tell myself that food does NOT have control over me, I have control over it. Yes, we all slip up . . . the thing is to try and not do it big, and to not worry about it when you do . . . just pick yourself up and get back on track.

I think another thing that helps "Head Hunger" (cravings) is to make your diet as fun and as interesting as possible. When all I could have was Protein Shakes on my pre-op diet, I tried changing the taste of them by adding extracts (i.e. maple, almond, coconut, banana - they add no calories) . . . and that really helped with getting tired of the Protein shakes. It was interesting to try new combinations!

There are also lots of low-fat, low calorie recipes (you can find them here in many of these forums!) for the foods you crave. Right now I'm on the "mushies" stage of my post-op diet . . . and one thing I'm gonna try is egg beaters with salsa. I *love* mexican food. This will keep me on my diet plus help with that "I want Taco Bell" feeling. Sure, it's not a taco, but it's still spicy and good :)

I've read some other posts from people who've had the band much longer than me . . . they give good advice, by not denying yourself. If you want a piece of chocolate, eat a *little* piece.

Stay focused on your goals, keep the diet interesting . . . and remember to not let any food control you! You're the one in control - you can do it!

I hope some of this helped . . . good luck with your lap-band journey, may it be a successful one! :thumbup:

HI ALL,

JUST A QUICK NOTE TO LET THE METRO DETROITERS WHO ARE EAST SIDERS KNOW THAT I'VE FOUND A SUPPORT GROUP. IT MEETS THE 1ST WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH (THAT'S THIS COMING WEDNESDAY) AT 6:30 PM. IT'S AT THE BETHEL LUTHERAN CHURCH ON THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF LITTLE MACK AND FRAZHO IN ST. CLAIR SHORES. I THINK I'LL ATTEND, AT LEAST THE FIRST TIME, ANYWAY.

JULIA

Please keep us posted on how this meeting is. If you like it, I may join. I'm in Roseville.