Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Scared After Attending Pre-Op Support Group

Hello everyone. I need a little encouragement. I am scheduled for the lap band on March 2nd, 2012. I recently attended a Bariatric support group and when I left I was scared. There were 3 women in there that had been banded. Everyone else had the roux-en-y done. One currently had the lap band and the other 2 started out with the lap band but at some point ended up having a roux-en-y revision. None of the 3 women had positive things to say. They all hated the lap band (even the one that has it currently). And so during the entire meeting I heard negative things and I felt like I was being pushed to do the roux-en-y. They could not understand why my doctor would do the lap band procedure on me, apparently they thought I weighed to much for it (I weigh 312lbs). I want the lap band. I am doing the lap band. I am young and enjoy exercising. I am also scared to go through this procedure and fail. Any thoughts or info would be great, I love you all.

My opinion is, if they dont like the lap band it is because they want to continue over eating and pigging out and the band does not allow that. other thing is alot of people think the lap band is a quick fix it all and it is not. the weight loss is slower than with RNY but you learn to eat healthy, make better choices and change your life style, what exactly were the negative things they were saying about the band? and 312 is not too big for the band. I was 272 and only 5'3 tall so I looked as wide as i did tall lol the band does not fix you, it is only a tool and you have to learn to work with it. post the negative things they were saying and see what responses you get to that. good luck and pls dont be scared, if you are ready then you will be fine with what ever decision you choose :)

I am being banded Feb 16. I also recently went to a support group, there must have been about 40-50 people there. All I heard was positive things about the lapband. I sat next to a women that was two years post-op and all she kept saying was "This is the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't change it." You seem pretty set on your decision so don't let them sway you. If you have concerns talk with your dr.

Is that the only support group available in your area? Maybe you can find a different one that isn't so negative. It is supposed to be a SUPPORT group not a discouragment group. If they can't support your decision you may be better off finding a different group and you know you can always come here for plenty of ENcouragement and advice. Good luck and don't let them change your mind about lap band if that's what you truly want. smile.png

I wouldn't let them sway you or discourage you. A couple key things to point out:

• RNY is permanent and irreversible. Lap-Band is 100% reversible.
  • RNY reroutes your digestive system. Lap-Band doesn't.
  • RNY patients commonly have malnutrition issues. Lap-Band patients typically don't.
  • RNY patients can stretch their pouch and be out of luck. Lap-Band patients can stretch their pouch, get a fill, or even adjusted with minor surgery but we can be helped.

Lap-Band is a slow, steady weight loss. It's a tool, not a magic bullet, and we must do the work and be committed to a lifestyle change. I'm sure there a few people that won't find the success with Lap-Band, but there's also people who don't find it with RNY either. If you read these forums, 85% of the people not losing weight, or gaining weight, will freely admit they made mistakes either by not eating healthy, eating too much and finding ways to eat around the band, or total lack of activity. They know why it's not working for them and they know what they must do to change it.

You sound very certain this is what you want, so stick to your guns and do what you believe to best for you.

Oh and as for your weight? I started at 421 pounds. My surgery was just 2 weeks ago and my current weight is 387 pounds. Between the pre-op diet and these 2 weeks after I've already lost almost 35 pounds.

I outweigh you by a lot, and yet here I am, and so far I'm doing great with it. teeth_smile.gif

I feel like people who are not mentally ready for surgery talk a ton of trash about it. I've read a lot of negative posts because I wanted to see everything before I jumped in. It seems like the people who complain a lot also talk about breaking a lot of rules. I think it's easy if you follow directions.

I've had my band for almost 5 weeks and in the past 2 days I've started feeling a little hungrier and I've been able to eat a little more than I'm supposed to. (but let me be very honest here, even though I've been eating "a little more" I'm still tracking less than 1,000 calories a day) I've had to use a little will power this week more for head hunger than real hunger. I go in for an adjustment next tuesday.

Our doctor said we HAVE to make a point to come in once a month for check ups for 1 year because the people who do that are the most successful. It is just a tool and you have to keep after it. In the past 5 weeks I have lost 33 lbs and my husband has lost 45!!!!

If you want the lap band, and feel like you are willing to change how you look at and eat food, I highly reccomend it. Just follow the directions that you are given, get in your Protein, exercise will power and walk. Check out my blog if you want to see some the things I've struggled with and have been successful with. I'm just trying to track everything as it happens to hopefully help anyone else who is considering it!

Oh and as for your weight? I started at 421 pounds. My surgery was just 2 weeks ago and my current weight is 387 pounds. Between the pre-op diet and these 2 weeks after I've already lost almost 35 pounds.

I outweigh you by a lot, and yet here I am, and so far I'm doing great with it. teeth_smile.gif

YES!!! That's Awesome!

Don't let the negative talk discourage you. Find a different support group in your area. Or use this site which is full of folks who are ecstatic about their choice.

I was lucky in that I have both a family member and a friend who have been banded and they shared their experiences with me (both the good and the bad). Ultimately, they both said it was the best decision in their lives. That really helped.

Good luck in making this decision. It isn't easy, but I am so hopeful for my future now.

I started out at 400lbs on a lapband, people like those in your support group are not even worth listening too if they cant even 'support you' I along with many others on this site started out heavier than you are and look how well we are doing. Its YOUR decision and your surgeons and no one elses. Good luck !

I started out at 492 pounds when I got my band so for them to say you're to big...HOGWASH. But as its been said before, its a tool not a fix. There are ways to cheat the system. I have zero regrets about my band.

I started out at 492 pounds when I got my band so for them to say you're to big...HOGWASH. But as its been said before, its a tool not a fix. There are ways to cheat the system. I have zero regrets about my band.

For me, it was a FIX. No more "White Knuckle Club" It was/is a life changing experience, not another diet.

Yes, I know how to work around it a cheat if I wanted to, but since the band has also taken away my appetite,

Why would I want, or need to cheat?

And yes, I know everyone is different, but that's my personal real life experience.

You may find much better support and info right here ar LBT. I would not go back to that negative group. If you want to meet with banded people face to face, maybe you can look up members of LBT that live near you and set up a coffee group or something.

For me. lapband has been so very easy, magic, and a quick fix! I love the band and would have never been able to take off all this weight without it.

RNY is more dangerous than lapband. My Godmother died because of complications with it. RNY takes less discipline, they cut out half of your stomach. You tend to lose weight faster but malnutrition is almost guaranteed. Some people do not want to do the work that comes with lapband, therefore they have negative things to say. My PCP seem to try to convince me of the RNY, obviously I declined. If lapband is what you want go for it. I had mine placed in and love it. I got my first fill yesterday. Be careful of who you take advice from. Some negativity can give you prospective and help you not fall for some of the same pitfalls. So embrace some of the negativity and make it your strengths. We are here for you.

Also from my research your BMI could be too high for lapband to work for you, which simply means you will have to lose some weight prior to surgery. You will lose weight with the liquid diet. Your length of time on the liquid diet will be based on how much weight your surgeon wants you to lose prior to surgery. Don't worry everything will work out.

For me, it was a FIX. No more "White Knuckle Club" It was/is a life changing experience, not another diet.

Yes, I know how to work around it a cheat if I wanted to, but since the band has also taken away my appetite,

Why would I want, or need to cheat?

And yes, I know everyone is different, but that's my personal real life experience.

The reason I say its not a fix, is that it is possible to cheat and eat around it. If all we ate was ice cream, chochlate, and milk shakes nothing would change. We have to make a concious effort to change. The band helps us with that change.