Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now That You Have Had The Surgury, What Negatives Have You Experienced Thus Far?

Eew I've never coughed up black bile. I've never heard of anyone else doing that either.

I don't miss the taste of anything. Coz if I really want something, I eat it, just a lot less of it.

Umm....negatives....

I guess if the food I'm eating is really good, I sometimes wish I could eat more of it than I actually can manage. Also my tummy makes loud noises sometimes, more so than pre-band. I also probably don't drink enough Water during the day. And I have to try to find any medication I take in liquid form if I can, coz big tablets are difficult for me. There are plenty of niggly little negatives that the band has that isn't widely advertised.

But then I slip into my size US size 4 jeans and they suddenly seem pretty insignificant.

Don't mean to change the subject, but I checked out your gallery and like the photo's.

Especially the side by side one with your Mother.

So far no negatives for me except the worrying about "the complications" that can happen. With that said I choose to focus on the positives like feeling awesome!

Not such nonsense as "I have to buy more clothes"! It's too bad some of the readers didn't take you question serious enough to be honest about band complications that they know about in order to present a balanced view of band life for a perspective bandsters.

So my input here was not valid? I'm afraid for me that has been the biggest "negative", it has been fun but it has cost me a fortune. The OP asked what negatives we had experienced personally so that was what I posted. I cannot make up negatives that I don't have.

I do agree though that I was being a little flippant.I should have urged her to get her brother to see a Dr urgently as bringing up black bile is a sign of some kind of internal bleeding and it shouldn't be ignored.

Lellow has reminded me about the noises. The first few months after surgery I burped a lot, it the changed to farting which is definetly not good. But it all seems to have settled down and those minor inconveniences are long forgotten.

My digestive system does still make lots of really loud gurgling noises. I am getting used to them and they don't really worry me except occasionally at night when I am trying to go to sleep. Then they can feel very weird. But to swap all that ugly fat for some strange noises seems like quite a good bargain to me.

Explaining to servers that yes, I really did like the food, I am just full.

I worry about eating in a group, because I tend to not pay as close attention to what I am eating so that I can enjoy the group. I've ended up stuck more than once that way.

Along those same lines, eating with a group of people I don't know who notice I haven't eaten much then ask if I am feeling OK.

I am very open about having had WLS, but it still can be weird sometimes.

My most embarrassing stuck episode...I was juror #3 (front row of jury box) in a high profile trial. At lunch I took some medication then ate. I was in a bit of a rush. As I returned to the courtroom I realized I was sliming. The pill got stuck with lunch piled up on top of it. I only had time to grab some paper towels.

So, there I was in front of God, a judge, 2 defendants, 4 lawyers, another jury across the courtroom (two trials, one court), and a gallery full of family and reporters--sliming and drooling into my paper towels until the 1st break....

Ah, the good times!

Explaining to servers that yes, I really did like the food, I am just full.

I worry about eating in a group, because I tend to not pay as close attention to what I am eating so that I can enjoy the group. I've ended up stuck more than once that way.

Along those same lines, eating with a group of people I don't know who notice I haven't eaten much then ask if I am feeling OK.

I am very open about having had WLS, but it still can be weird sometimes.

My most embarrassing stuck episode...I was juror #3 (front row of jury box) in a high profile trial. At lunch I took some medication then ate. I was in a bit of a rush. As I returned to the courtroom I realized I was sliming. The pill got stuck with lunch piled up on top of it. I only had time to grab some paper towels.

So, there I was in front of God, a judge, 2 defendants, 4 lawyers, another jury across the courtroom (two trials, one court), and a gallery full of family and reporters--sliming and drooling into my paper towels until the 1st break....

Ah, the good times!

OMG i about spit out my drink - great story!!! sorry it happened but highly entertaining - I have never slimed yet in 6 months banded - but i am dreading it big time!

So my input here was not valid? I'm afraid for me that has been the biggest "negative", it has been fun but it has cost me a fortune. The OP asked what negatives we had experienced personally so that was what I posted. I cannot make up negatives that I don't have.

I do agree though that I was being a little flippant.I should have urged her to get her brother to see a Dr urgently as bringing up black bile is a sign of some kind of internal bleeding and it shouldn't be ignored.

Not that your point wasn't valid, but certainly not relevent. No one asked you to make up negative band experiences, but being on this forum you have seen plenty of bandsters post with their complications. I think those with negative should tell her about that since she asked about the negative. Your is NOT negative and you know it! You have been blessed! You should appriciate that you band worked for you and honest with her about band NEGATIVES that you are aware of if you don't have any. That way she would get a fair representaton of band life instead of just shoving the possitives down her throat when she specifically asked for the negatives. Oh but I guess you all don't want that discussed on here, do you?!

If your Brother has problems with Bile coming up ! He better see a Dr. Soon.

What's relevant, and not.

If it is your negative, whatever you speak of, then that's it ! Nothing else should be said, because were all different, and are affected differentley. Wether sliming in Court, or hurting in the Wallet for the cost of clothing. That is there story.

I had a Chief Surgeon, that did excellent work on me. but, he did poor aftercare, He thought the balloon in the band was blown, so he deflated me, then would not see me again. When I went to see him, I was thrown out because I had put on weight.....

So I regained almost all the weight, but then started all over again last January. and YES ! I have had mistakes done ! but !!!!! I was shown that if filled under Fluoroscope, they can take you to your fill line, and yes we all have one. Then you are at proper restriction.

If you have problems, and say this just don't work, it's a bunch of bunk ! Try Fluoroscope, and see if you feel restriction.

I have a 4cc Band, at my fill line is 2.5cc. So thats quite a gap, if I ever get down to wear I want, and say I could use a slight fill, there's plenty of room.

Not that your point wasn't valid, but certainly not relevent. No one asked you to make up negative band experiences, but being on this forum you have seen plenty of bandsters post with their complications. I think those with negative should tell her about that since she asked about the negative. Your is NOT negative and you know it! You have been blessed! You should appriciate that you band worked for you and honest with her about band NEGATIVES that you are aware of if you don't have any. That way she would get a fair representaton of band life instead of just shoving the possitives down her throat when she specifically asked for the negatives. Oh but I guess you all don't want that discussed on here, do you?!

OMG take the stick out of ur a**. Out of all the posts u have written not one was positive! I'm sorry the band didn't work for u but u ever think maybe u should have made better food choices and maybe just ran little? It is just a tool not a magic wand. I get that everyone has the right to their own opinion but for god sakes relax alittle. WE GET It.... U DON'T RECOMMEND tHE BAND!

There are negatives to everything. Some folks are more fortunate than others. Black bile even once a week is not something to ignore. Please encourage your brother to be seen by a physician. It could be band related or caused by something else.

I have had mostly a positive experience with the band. Here are my negative experiences: I drank a glass of milk to fast and started esphogeal spasms that lasted four days in the first week of being post op. Financial impact of good quality Vitamins, food, and yes clothing. These can add up to be very expensive. Head hunger, the place where your mind is telling you that you are hungry - when you really are not. Taking the time to think about eating, from what you are going to eat to how you are going to eat it, i.e. fast, slow, is the food a slider food.... The struggle of emotional eating, wanting to eat and then holding yourself back from eating at the wrong time or even over eating during meals. Adding in exercise (I know that one does not sound so tough, but when you hate it as much as I do, you learn to modify your lifestyle to include it and not allow yourself to talk yourself out of it...)

I have heard from others who can tolerate only certain foods, severe Constipation, band erosion and various port problems. I have also seen where some expect the band to do everything for them and then those that have the band done to please someone else and then eat the wrong foods.

I am sure there are other negative experiences out there, however, those listed above are the ones that I am aware of...

I

I believe that with anything there are positives and negatives. What is a big problem to someone might not be a big deal to someone else.

My negatives are:

1. Esophageal spasms

2. Wanting to eat dinner out but knowing that I will be sorry if Im not really careful

3. Getting food stuck even after I know that I have no business eating that food

4. Explaining to people that even after all of these things I still feel that it was completely worth it.

5. Having my kids say "Mom you're making the face - are you going to throw up"

If your Brother has problems with Bile coming up ! He better see a Dr. Soon.

What's relevant, and not.

If it is your negative, whatever you speak of, then that's it ! Nothing else should be said, because were all different, and are affected differentley. Wether sliming in Court, or hurting in the Wallet for the cost of clothing. That is there story.

I had a Chief Surgeon, that did excellent work on me. but, he did poor aftercare, He thought the balloon in the band was blown, so he deflated me, then would not see me again. When I went to see him, I was thrown out because I had put on weight.....

So I regained almost all the weight, but then started all over again last January. and YES ! I have had mistakes done ! but !!!!! I was shown that if filled under Fluoroscope, they can take you to your fill line, and yes we all have one. Then you are at proper restriction.

If you have problems, and say this just don't work, it's a bunch of bunk ! Try Fluoroscope, and see if you feel restriction.

I have a 4cc Band, at my fill line is 2.5cc. So thats quite a gap, if I ever get down to wear I want, and say I could use a slight fill, there's plenty of room.

~If you have problems, and say this just don't work, it's a bunch of bunk !~

You're FOS. So you think all those ppl out there with failed bands are lying! Because for some strange reason they would want to say their band doesn't work, than have a working band and lose weight?!?!?!

Wait till your band craps out on you and then see what a "bunch of bunk" that is!

I believe that with anything there are positives and negatives. What is a big problem to someone might not be a big deal to someone else.

My negatives are:

1. Esophageal spasms

2. Wanting to eat dinner out but knowing that I will be sorry if Im not really careful

3. Getting food stuck even after I know that I have no business eating that food

4. Explaining to people that even after all of these things I still feel that it was completely worth it.

5. Having my kids say "Mom you're making the face - are you going to throw up"

Just noticed your groups and was wondering how many bands you have had???

OMG take the stick out of ur a**. Out of all the posts u have written not one was positive! I'm sorry the band didn't work for u but u ever think maybe u should have made better food choices and maybe just ran little? It is just a tool not a magic wand. I get that everyone has the right to their own opinion but for god sakes relax alittle. WE GET It.... U DON'T RECOMMEND tHE BAND!

What a b***h! How dare you judge me! What does running or a food choice have to do with NOT getting restriction?!

No one asked for a magic wand, and you have a lot of nerve suggesting that is what I expected! As for it being a "tool".....NO! It is not! It is a "tool" for *some* people. Many of us though NEVER get that "tool"!

Have a nice night! :-)