Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now That You Have Had The Surgury, What Negatives Have You Experienced Thus Far?

I know this is a forum that is typically positive when it comes to the lapband surgery...but I want to know some of the negatives that people have experienced. An example of this is my brother....he went from 429 to 160 at his current weight (positive but see below)

He told me the other day...that once a week he hacks up this "black bile" which he doesn't like....and he misses the "taste of things". I know about band slippage, erosian ect....but these are the main negatives that people talk about.... SO PLEASE SHARE SOME HIDDEN NEGATIVES that fly under the radar when one is considering getting this procedure.

Thanks,

MD

I have had to spend a fortune buying new clothes and have done serious damage to my credit card. I also keep having to reintroduce myself as neighbours and other aquaintances don't recognise me.

I have just thought of another negative. I have to be careful when I drink as more than 2 glasses of wine and that is me finished! It makes me a cheap date so i save money but I have to be careful and remember not to overdo it.

I also waste so much food. I buy things thinking I will eat them and don't manage to finish them before they go off. fruit is 1 of the main things that this seems to happen with, I hardly eat any fruit any more.

Eew I've never coughed up black bile. I've never heard of anyone else doing that either.

I don't miss the taste of anything. Coz if I really want something, I eat it, just a lot less of it.

Umm....negatives....

I guess if the food I'm eating is really good, I sometimes wish I could eat more of it than I actually can manage. Also my tummy makes loud noises sometimes, more so than pre-band. I also probably don't drink enough Water during the day. And I have to try to find any medication I take in liquid form if I can, coz big tablets are difficult for me. There are plenty of niggly little negatives that the band has that isn't widely advertised.

But then I slip into my size US size 4 jeans and they suddenly seem pretty insignificant.

After 88 pounds gone in 6 months - all of the little negatives are vastly outweighed (no pun intended) by the wonderful feeling of looking better, being more confident, and not being the biggest girl in the room wherever i go. But with that said - the only negatives are my paranoia that every time i feel any pain in my torso i automatically assume it's a band slip, band erosion etc. (my poor surgeon has to contend with me and my fears LOL) AND like lellow said above - now that i'm at restriction - there are times where i would love to put the pause button on my band and really chow into a fantastic meal - because now i can only eat either a few bites or none at all because it hurts going down. It's all so psychological and just goes to show my food addiction because why would i ever want to "chow" into a huge meal - or eat 1/2 a large pizza etc. - that's exactly what got me morbidly obese to begin with - but it is a mind "screw" when you would just love to have "one more day" of eating the old way - the huge, huge portions of wonderful food. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!!!!!!!target.gif

I am only three months in, and have had no complications at all. But as posted before we worry about our little bands, because they are the only tool that has actually worked before. My friends have called me the incredible shrinking woman. Yes we are all very excited about our bands, and we talk about everything good and bad. I never heard of the black bile thing, but that sounds more like a gall bladder problem than anything to do with the band??? (I am no doctor so take that with a grain of salt) lol. The results are most of the reason we all are very positive about our bands.

It sounds to me like your brother has a bleeding ulcer or something and should get that checked out by a Dr.

The most negative thing for me has been that I lost a lot of hair. It all grew back, so no big deal at this point.

I love my band and only really have one negative about it. I feel like I never have time to do anything with others except on weekends. The amount of time I have dedicated to exercise has really caused a strain in some of my friendships. I workout before work, go to work, make dinner, exercise and then it is time for bed. I wish I had some additional time in the day to spend with friends.

I am just post band but the pulling and pinching pains on my muscles and tummy and port area are very discouraging. I am now scared of hurting myself even further, or wondering what is actually happening to my inners. I was very excited, now I am biting my nails.

Sometimes overeating without realizing it that causes pressure in the chest is a negative. Also, the daily fear that something will happen to my band is overwhelming. I am self pay so things could get pretty expensive!

The biggest negative is about food. My tastes have definitely changed, and I really don't have much interest in food anymore.

It drives my wife nuts when she goes food shopping. She will ask me to put anything I may want/need on the list, and I usually say "Nothing!"

I find I will go the grocery store and get foods "just for myself" like stir fry ingredients, yogurt, etc.

And also, I waste a lot of food. Everything I get from take out. Or whatever I cook, is always WAY too much.

My family took me out to dinner for my birthday. A "Seafood Buffet" complete with a Raw Bar.

I did have a few drinks before dinner, but after that I felt bad I hardly ate anything. It was a very expensive place.

I would have to say the worst for me is accepting there are just some foods that I cant eat because they will get stuck and when I do get stuck the swelling is horrible for about two days. I have spent more time in this last year on liquids then in my life and there are days I wish I could rip this thing out of my gut, however it saved my life so the little crap I guess is just that.

I am just 10 days PO so not much experience yet. I do have a hard time drinking enough Water and remembering to do my Protein Drink.< /p>

Now that is a great question. There are tons of negatives that those pre-op reading this deserve to know. Not such nonsense as "I have to buy more clothes"! It's too bad some of the readers didn't take you question serious enough to be honest about band complications that they know about in order to present a balanced view of band life for a perspective bandsters.

Here is one of the main problems with the band that I have NEVER heard mentioned pre-op:

NO RESTRICTION! That is right, many bandsters NEVER reach restriction! For many of us there is no restriction/green zone/sweet spot. Does NOT exist! Therefore..........getting the band was a complete waste of time and MONEY!

Many other bandsters have issues with their bands as well. Join the failed band group and you will see a variety of band complications.

Now that is a great question. There are tons of negatives that those pre-op reading this deserve to know. Not such nonsense as "I have to buy more clothes"! It's too bad some of the readers didn't take you question serious enough to be honest about band complications that they know about in order to present a balanced view of band life for a perspective bandsters.

Here is one of the main problems with the band that I have NEVER heard mentioned pre-op:

NO RESTRICTION! That is right, many bandsters NEVER reach restriction! For many of us there is no restriction/green zone/sweet spot. Does NOT exist! Therefore..........getting the band was a complete waste of time and MONEY!

Many other bandsters have issues with their bands as well. Join the failed band group and you will see a variety of band complications.

Do you consider yourself as one of those people?

I don't do Facebook.< /p>