Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carbers I Need Advice!!!

I have lost 110 pounds in 5 months but now i am only losing 1 pound a day my Doc said to try a low carb high protien for a couple months then slowly add in good carbs. My questions are first i have read it can cause REALLY bad breath? If so what do the low carbers do about stinky breath? My next q'S is i also read use dressings and mayo w/ out sugar??? I looked and they all have suagr does anyone know where i can find some I love salads and can not go w/ out salads. My last q's is what about caffiene i am so used to tea and Water can I still drink tea or should i switch to Decaf? Thanks all :)

I shouls have proof read LOL i meant 1 pound a week not a day WOWZERS!

Sorry I don't have any answers on the low carb thing...I just had to comment on your loss! 110lbs in 5 months?!?! That's AMAZING...Congrats! That's got to feel good. Breath mints do the trick since gum is a no no. :)

congrats!!!! you weight loss is so encouraging. I don't have a suggestions about low carb, but I saw my doctor today and he said be sure the grams of fat or less the grams of Protein. maybe there is hint to keep in mind when searching for low carb items. what's low carb daily max?

I'm glad you corrected the pound a day thing. I was about to reply and tell you to get real and stop moaning at such amazing weight loss. At this point 1lb a week is well within the expected range. The band is designed to help you lose 1 - 2lb per week. The further in you are and the less you have to lose the more the loss will start to slow down.

The 1lb per day loss reminds me of an episode of Dr Who. It was quite funny - at the same time every night 1lb of fat would literally leave this persons body and walk away!

Congrats on the weight loss! I was losing 3-4 lbs a week for a while after surgery as well and it's disappointing losing 1-2 lbs a week now. It does slow down after a little while. If you want to jump start, change up your workouts, start from the beginning with your diet (high Protein, low carb) and try to make your body get back into that gear it was at after surgery.

BTW, I'd love to lose a pound a day! Sounds like a wonderful idea, lets find that quick fix smile.png

Just read your starting and current weight. (I don't mean this in a rude way at ALL!) But you were quite heavy at the beginning and the smaller you get, the less you will lose. Being bigger means it takes more calories just to do your daily activities which is why reducing so many calories makes you lose quickly. You can do this! Keep working hard, you're doing wonderful.

I have lost 110 pounds in 5 months but now i am only losing 1 pound a day my Doc said to try a low carb high protien for a couple months then slowly add in good carbs. My questions are first i have read it can cause REALLY bad breath? If so what do the low carbers do about stinky breath? My next q'S is i also read use dressings and mayo w/ out sugar??? I looked and they all have suagr does anyone know where i can find some I love salads and can not go w/ out salads. My last q's is what about caffiene i am so used to tea and Water can I still drink tea or should i switch to Decaf? Thanks all smile.png

Hi playboyreject,

Your weight loss to date is AMAZING. Well done. I wish I could boast the same number but im only 30 lbs down, 2 months in.

There are lighter, sugar free dressings, mayo and sauce available. It is important to have these if you cant eat salad without them but just try to lower your dressing size. Start by having a couple of tablespoons and decrease it to 1 tablespoon. But i dont think dressing or mayo will make the biggest difference.

As for bad breath, I would suggest rinsing your month with mouthwash after each meal, or when you are aware that your breath is bad. I carry around a travel pack mouthwash just incase, because Im quite self conscious of it too. My partner is a fitness nut and he always has high protein/low carb meals, his breath is lovely. I think it is different for everyone.

I don't drink tea or coffee or anything with caffine but that is because I dont like it. Im really not sure about how it will affect your weightloss. Sorry.

Anyway, goodluck, you are doing such a great job, and like everyone has said, your weightloss will slow down as you get closer to your goal weight, so dont stress too much 1lb per week is still great.

Simone.

As one of the heavier start weights too i have been pretty low carb since i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some years ago, ive never had a problems with bad breath, ive never heard of that problem with a low carb diet ...

I drink tea and coffee when i feel like it but some surgeons dont let u take caffine so check it out with your doctor.

I eat alaskan smoked salmon for low carb high Protein i love fish and white meat and stay away from root veg and large amounts of fruit and sugar and flour.

I make Salad Dressing with lemon juice, cider vinegar, whole grain mustard and some splenda ... much better than creamy dressing smile.png

Meant to add my weight loss has slowed a lot now i am struggling for every lb but it wont beat me lol

Low carb is challenging but its good for diabetes and lowering glucose levels as well. Avoid potatoes, rice, Pasta, white bread and not too much bread all around, crackers (in small quantities and whole wheat). Check out a list of high glycemic fruits and veges on line and keep those lower on your food consumption list. Use a sweetner, my favorite is splenda. I track my carb intake and keep it around 60 gms a day which is approximately 4 carb exchanges for diabetics. It has dramatically lowered my glucose levels and I feel great and no breath issues at all. Also really helps with weight loss.

First of all--congrats on the major loss! I've been banded 4 months & have only lost 15 lbs, so I am completely envious of you! I really just wanted to say that the bad breath thing comes when your body is in ketosis (I think that's the right spelling) as you are adjusting to not eating so many carbs... I've had that experience & have friends who have been through it & other than brushing your teeth & chewing gum...not much else you can do until you pass through that phase. Have you tried the colgate wisp brushes? disposable toothbrushes...very cool....tiny little things. And I've been chewing gum just fine. You know the reason they caution you against it is in case you accidentally swallow it, but I've never been a gum swallower. So I'm still "chewing". And I'm still having a cup or 2 of "leaded" coffee every morning & an occasional diet drink. My nutritionist said the reason for suggesting we go off coffee & sodas isn't always the caffeine. Instead it is the concern that these things have acids that leach Calcium out of our bones. it isn't the caffeine...it's the acid. With our nutrient intake reduced & the need to take supplements religiously....they want us to know if we continue drinking coffee & sodas....we may be leaching more calcium out of our bones.

Wow congrats on the weight loss! I recently gained back some weight but got a fill yesterday and some advice for getting back on track. My dr told me to eat mainly Protein and the only carbs she wants me to have are from fruits and vegetables. She said this will jump start my weight loss again. I was eating way too many carbs and they really blew me up.

I also wanted to mention that there is a product called Biotene. They make gum, toothpaste and mouthwash. Walmart sells it as I am sure drug store do as well. It is for a dry mouth and to prevent bad breath. When I go low carb - i notice that my mouth is kind of dry...maybe its the ketosis. This product helps with that.

I also wanted to mention that there is a product called Biotene. They make gum, toothpaste and mouthwash. Walmart sells it as I am sure drug store do as well. It is for a dry mouth and to prevent bad breath. When I go low carb - i notice that my mouth is kind of dry...maybe its the ketosis. This product helps with that.