Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having A Hard Go Of It

Hi guys it seems i am having motivation problems i really think my fitness level is really holding me back it seems i can only do 20 minutes on the treadmill at the warm up pace and its funny next to the warm up pace setting it has a little turtle next to it lol.and i can only do that in intervals the fat burn pace i will be lucky to get 6 minutes done with out dying.and when i try to do leslie sansones 3 mile walk just the sight of her on my screen just irritates me and causes me to not do her video its just so boring im to big to do damage on the treadmill and the work out dvds just irk me and it seems im not losing weight.I just want to know what can a 26 yr old guy that weighs 350 pounds can do effectively to sustain constant weight loss well with in range of his limits i know its not an easy task its just seems im doing something wrong.i do work out at 3am-to4am in the morning maybe i should change that and the doc told to start lifting weights and that would help with weight loss.i dont know i just need to hit the mental reset button.

anyway thanks guys sorry for the poor grammar

good luck to all

brandon17

The treadmill is boring to say the least but if your going to walk on the treadmill you have to push yourself that extra minute. If you do it constantly every week go up a little more. The endurance will come in time. I find walking outside is much better than the tread mill. Maybe if you have the money it would benefit you to join a gym and have a trainer for a couple of weeks to get you in gear.

I started this journey at 371lbs, 5'9". I could barely walk around the block. I started everyday just adding an extra 5 minutes before you know it I was able to do more. Look into getting a trainer for a while that was the thing that pushed me to do things that I never thought would be possible. If you can swing it it would be totally worth it. Just get moving everyday and push yourself. Do you have a friend that you can work out with or just take a walk with? In the beginning I hated it but I knew I had to keep at it if i wanted to be successful. Now it is hard to believe but I actually like it and feel guilty if i miss a day! Who would've have thought? Only 9 months ago my exercise was walking to my car... You can do it!! You are young and strong! BTW, I can't stand the sight of Leslie Sansone either. I don't know what it is but I can't take her for one minute!! Good luck to you!!

Try walking outside, even in the cold it is well worth it. Once you get half way done with your walk you will have to keep going to get home again! Thats how I started and now my walk is up hill 3/4 of the way and does not even bother me. I started out at 304 and very out of shape. You can do this.......

Dont lose hope. When I first started working out, I got on the ellyptical at my gym. I couldnt stay on it for 3 minutes. I kept getting on it each day and stayed on it for an extra minute each day. You can do anything for one extra minute! Now I get on it and workout for an hour and am increasing the level everyday. I also could not run on the treadmill for more than a minute. Now I can run without stopping to walk for 15 minutes at a time.You just have to set a goal each day and push yourself. Before you know it, you will be running and it will be a breeze. I hate to miss a day of working out now. I love it!! And I am convinced that it is the secret to my success on losing the weight so quickly. I started out at 253 pounds and 71 pounds later I am weighing in now at 182. The more you lose the easier it gets, You can do this! Just make your mind up and get to that gym.

Good luck!

When I first started, I was lucky to be able to do 5 minutes at the snails pace. I gradually added time, speed and incline and now I do 30 minutes at 4 mph with 6% incline. I go to the weight machines and then go do another round on the treadmill. Just do what you can and push yourself a little bit every day. You'll get there.

slow and easy and like an old weight trainer said, change it up, do not stick to same routine for a long time- the body gets used to it, go do a different thing. Good luck

I would definitely look to doing some weight training, u need to get yout heart rate up on the treadmill then go onto the strength training, i use resistance bands and dumbells after i use my cycle seems to work for me :) strength training is important it helps metabolise sugar and burn the calories, the more muscle you have the more calories u burn just doing nothing its a win win ... i change the resistance on my bike each month so that i am gradually building up stamina and leg muscles over a longer period as i was totally inactive before i started all this.

I am 78 lbs lighter and still can't do the treadmill..however, I can do 60 minutes of Water aerobics. it is easier on the joints and the brain. Good Luck

Try not to think of yourself as different to the average person either. Yes, its hard at your weight, but that 20 minutes on the treadmill is doing as much for YOU as my 30 minute outside run does for ME. You're working just as hard, and that's what matters. Your body will burn a gajillion more calories per minute than someone of normal weight, so what you are doing is fine. Just keep pushing, a little faster, a little further, as you are able.

But if you keep pushing just slightly beyond your comfort zone, the rewards will come. You're on the right track.

How do you think that people train up to run marathons? Its no easier for someone normal weight and unfit to get to that stage you know, same process, same feelings, same fatigue, same wanting to die or just roll off the back of the treadmill. Just a different level of exercise, same level of "I'll never get there".

Thanks guys after reading your replys i have somewhat jumped backed on the wagon i have realized i am a big guy and things are not going to be easy i have to man up cause it will pay dividends in the end.

thanks so much guys you are a big help

brandon17

20 Minutes is definitely great for you to do a day..its better than nothing! I've been trying my best to do 2 miles a day or more, and some days I slack and only do 1 but I think of it as, at least I'm getting some exercise in for the day.

Do you know what I do everyday? Not the treadmill, nope! Its Leslie Sansone! I don't understand why you guys don't like her so much- you should focus on the EXERCISE and not judging the person...I take offense to that because I love her so much, she helped me loose just about 30 pounds on my own and I haven't even had the surgery yet. She's just trying to help everybody loose weight and get motivated...which is what you need. Plus..you could always listen to music instead of listening to her if you wanted to!

Brandon:

Try adding some of your favorite music to an MP3 player. It really makes a difference. I prefer to walk outside with my headphones on. It's more interesting to me than being on a treadmill.

Best wishes to you. You can do it!

Sue

Exercise is a big weakness of mine. I start going to the gym then find every reason not to go. I have been doing light weights and stretching at home and work daily. I need to really get a spark going because my weight isn't moving. So exercise yes not my favorite.

Getting started is the hard bit, keeping going is even harder. Just remember that you committed to changing your life when you got your surgery and that every step you take is a step closer.

the best advice I can offer is to find something you enjoy doing and then mix it up. I started with dancing, added walking, cycling and now swimming.

Good luck!