Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2 And Pain Is Crazy

Hello everyone,

My name is Holly and I was banded yesterday morning. When I got home yesterday afternoon the pain was so unbearable that I almost started crying. My husband went to get my pain medicine and gas x and then I started feeling better. I did not get much sleep last night because of the uncomfortable, painful feeling in my stomach. I try to walk around as much as I can, but get tired quickly and hurt really bad. I can't lay on my back and I am basically having to sit up with pillows behind me. I am on thin liquids for another five days and then go to thicker liquids. Does this get easier? I never imagined there would be so much pain, it even hurts to breathe in deeply. I am trying to be positive and keep thinking about how much I wanted this surgery and for how long.

Thanks

It will get better Holly. I was in so much pain that I spent 2 nights in the hospital....there is no way I could have gone home...the dilaudid barely gave me relief and I really thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. I had 2 previous c-sections and they were a breeze compared to this pain for me. It took me another week or so to start to be more comfortable, and I would say by week 4 I was completely pain free, not even the area where my port is bothered me.....I felt completely normal again, as if I had nothing done.

Every day will get better and before you know it you will be feeling great!

I was banded on Wednesday. I have some pain but not alot. The hospital gave me two breathing treatments and wants me to do the breathing machine 5 times a day to help move the gas away from my lungs. I was given some liquid loritab for pain but only took it last night before bed. Get up and move around, walk, it makes it easier and I bet I ate 6 gas x tablets(chewable) yesterday alone. also do the windmill with your arms. I do big circles one side then the other and then together. My biggest problems is that I find it very hard to drink anything, I still have alot of gas in my stomach that when I swallow the gas pushes my Jello back up into my esaphogus. Good luck!

Stay positive and try and relax a little, being tense intensifies pain, i was lucky i had virtually no pain afterwards just a little gas nothing more, but if i do get pain if food gets stuck i use a heat pad on my back, warmth is very soothing and it helps the gas dissipate, so might be worth giving it a try. It will get better we are all different and our bodies react in different ways so hang in there, things will improve im sure :)

I wish you well ...

I had surgery on Tuesday and still in pain. But not as bad, every time I wake up it seems a little better. I am lucky I don't have gas pains. I do know I am bloated because my feet are swollen and I put on 10 pounds at the hospital. But as of today I am down 6 pounds.

Stay postive. We did the right thing, just going to take a while for our bodies to adjust to the trama we just puth them through.

my pain was bad too, but after the 3rd day seems like it started to get better. Plus the benefits are amazing!! I am eight weeks post op and feel like my old self only 22 pounds thinner. (I know it is not alot, but it is the beginning)

Hang in there. It really does get better. {{{HUGS}}}

You are stonger than me...I DID cry! OMG I have never felt anything like that...felt like the flu times 10...I thought I was about to give birth! I got into bed, took my pain meds every two hours and now, day three is soo much better. Had my 1st BM since surgery Wednesday and ate Jello, broth and yogurt. My throat still kills me from the tube, by port is very swollen and painful and I am bloated from all the gas and IV fluids (I gained 3-4 lbs ovrnight from that too)....hang in there!

I was shocked at how much pain I was in the first few days but after that I was just as shocked at how much better I felt everyday! Rest lots and take care of yourself!

Totally normal but it will get better every day and it will be worth it!

Sorry you're not feeling well Holly! I was banded on 7/29/11 and it was a real rollercoaster for me too. As soon as I woke up from surgery I can remember gagging on the tube they had down my throat, and I had the worst back pain I've ever had in my entire life. I was given 3 different doses of Dilaudid and it wasnt even coming close to kickin the pain. I had to get up in the PACU dept and stand against the wall while my mom and husband rubbed my back. The first night really kicked my butt. I couldnt lay on my back or on my sides in the bed because when my belly would flatten out it felt like I was gonna rip open. So the only comfortable way I could sleep was on the couch, with 2 pillows behind me and I leaned my head up against the back of it. I think I slept like this about a week. I finally got to the point where I could lay on my side with a pillow propped right up next to my belly..but I could only get maybe 4 hours at a time in before I would hurt. I went back to work 4 days after surgery,, and I wish I had taken more time than that. I got tired and very cranky really easily. I remember being a week out and I was in bed crying like a baby because I thought I had made a mistake. Even though I knew this was the best thing for me, I felt miserable and was just hurting, tired, hungry, uncomfortable etc..and I finally just had to break down. After my crying episode I was fine lol.. Best of luck to you!

Thank you everyone for your support. Today is Day 3 and I am feeling better. I still hurt, but I can definitely tell a difference in the pain level.

Holly, this too shall pass. Hang in there. It gets better and its totally worth it!

J

Banded 9/22

Hi Holly, yes this is so painful I was just banded on the 8th and am on liquid Roxicet. When I swallow Water it feels like a rock is sitting in my throat! My port area left side is horrific and I can't take deep breathes! I can't imagine it get better but after reading your posts I have a little hope!