Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days After Lap Band And Not Feeling Well..is This Normal?

Hello lap-banders,

I was banded 4 days ago and today has been the worst day so far. Just wondering if this is normal. Maybe i tried to do too much today, but things feel different from yesterday. Yesterday I had a pretty good day, but today my stomach was grumbling and growling most of the day. I haven't felt hungry and was drinking my fluids. I've also felt a little pressure in my chest (lower near the sternum) after I drink. My upper back is killing me too. I heard that was normal from the procedure. I guess I just need some reassurance that this is typical. I see my doctor early next week and have taken notes on how I'm feeling, but I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you in the community. Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue, you're probably doing too much. You've just had major surgery and your body needs time to heal.

All the symptoms you're feeling are typical, the shoulder pain is refered pain from the gas used in surgery.

Keeping notes of all your feelings and problems is a good idea. I felt a little weak for a couple weeks too, so

sit with your feet up, for a while, if you can.

Hi Sue,

I was going through the same thing. I think it is really important to try and figure out where the pain and discomfort are coming from.

I felt sick from the surgery, I had pain in my abdomen, back, shoulders, chest and arms from the gas, I had a great amount of internal and external pain from my wounds and I felt sick because I was so hungry.

Most of the time when I felt sick I just needed to have something substancial to fill me up. But because I was too scared of vomitting, I avoided eating which made it worse.

It is important to know that everyone comes out of surgery with different experiences. Some people come out and are up walking around immediately and breeze through their recovery. Then there are others, like us, who take longer to adjust.

If you are concerned at all, you should contact your doctor. It is important to get that peice of mind so that you dont worry yourself. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Goodluck with everything.

Simone

2 days post op here Sue, I'm not hungry either, and those "grumbles" are most likely gas moving around your insides. I have found that doing the breathing exercises with the Voldyne machine several times an hour helps out more than any gas-x. You need to NOT be doing much of anything aside from some light walking. If you are trying to pick up something that's around the weight of a gallon of milk, that's too much. A full gallon of milk weights around 8.8 lbs, you put that weight at the extension of your arm and you are putting far too much strain on your core muscles. Rest, Rest, Rest, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

My post op diet is clears for the day of surgery, clears the day after, full liquids for the next 2 - 3 weeks, liquid mushies after that, then up to soft foods. I read people eating regular foods just a few days post op and that is NOT a good thing!

Think of it this way. You have foot surgery, do you go out and wear a pair of stiletto heals the next day? the next week? No you wait until your foot is healed up good before you put any stress/pressure on it. Your stomach and abdominal muscles are the say way, they need to heal up. Take it slow and easy, pace yourself, keep on your liquids and pain meds, walk a bit and just relax and recover.

Stay strong!

Sue I hope your feeling better today. I had the exact same feelinngs & even had spasms for about 7 days. This is all normal because the band is a foreign object so it needs time to accept it & settle in the tissue. The grumbling is actually air in your stomach & the acids that are complaining because theres no food in there for it to breakdown but its ok. I ended up taking a week off from work because my body told me to so listen to yours. All you should be doing is short walks at a moderate pace. I found when I drank my liquids I felt better taking sips every couple of seconds & chewing on gas-x & antacids after. I promise the grumbling & pain will go away after the first week but you need to take it very slow. I think that was extremely hard for me because I'm extremely hyper lol but its very important to do so.

I hope all this helped you & I hope soon you'll feel better.

I am 6 days post open and I felt the same way. Somedays you feel ok and some you dont. Stay drinking Water to keep the gas moving.I just started to feel better when I went for a long walk ! Good luck hopefully you wil start to feel better soon

I'm 5 weeks post op.....I was back to work 6 days after surgery and didn't have any problems after about day 4 the gas issues lighten up...I still ave gas issues on a dad to dad basic, but it is getting better. Don't get discouraged hang in there and happy weight loss

Don't u just love auto correct......it's about to drive me crazy....:)

I was not hungry for days after surgery. On the 4th day the shoulder pain increased and on the 5th day the shoulder pain was at its worst. Rest, take your meds, heating pad on the shoulder helped me a bunch. In a few days you will be feeling better but still take it easy and heal.

TBM

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and shared experiences. It really helps knowing I'm not going through this alone and that there are others out there who understand what you are going through. I'm feeling better today. Thanks for reminding me to slow down :)

Sue